Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm major with hybrid barrel or poppel holes

infinity38s45

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Correct me if I misread your post, but did you say you were able to put less powder for your major 9mm load after adding the holes? If so, how much less? Thanks.

Just finished up my build with the Akai shoto comp. Per my chat with Shay then with Gary from Gans I decided to go with two 3/16 holes straight up. All I can say is i'm glad I did. The Infinity barrel is faster than my Trubor barrel with the Brazos cuts. I actually get an increase in power factor with my new gun with holes. 7.5g of silh with a 124 montana gold cmj im getting 172pf. The gun is so flat and soft compaired to my other open gun its unreal. It just snaps back on target. It is 9 major.

No, he's saying the load he worked up for his Brazos's Trubor-barreled gun is moving faster in his Akai-comped, SVI-barreled gun.

Powder Powder, I think this is my 3 year jumped right in to open lots of costly mistakes, Lets call it learning curve$..One knowledgable open shooter I meet first shoot, (thanks RICH) when ask what power should I should use said, I'm glad you asked he said and handed me a stack of papers 1/2 inch thick (his test results) i said no just tell me what to buy he said Silhouette shoots the softest (shooting 38 Super then) and explained why (I'm sure all i heard was by a Dillon & Silhouette) so I've been shooting Silhouette...Now since I've have gained this infinite knowledge base. lol.. I decided to load up, and with the help of a new shooter that loves to try every powder on earth (thank goodness for these people) and find the best..tried many many other loads everything from every H to 3 this and that in the book to Autocomp and Silhouette, even in a blind dot test, Silhouette still moved the dot less..NOW shooting 9Major and back to what i started with..

Been there done that in multiple calibers. In 9 major I have to agree Silhouette is the best for me. However, you always need to be open and say it is dirty like oatmeal and it is reverse temp sensative, varies slightly from lot to lot. I was lucky recently and sold all of those partial pounds of powders I tried to a noob open shooter that had to go thru the same process, try them all. 20#'s of powder is not a lot, I call it time to re-order. Primer <20,000 time to look for a sale. Open a case of bullets time to order another.

Well since this is about holes, I'll just say that in certain cases, that is where you are not getting what you want out of the gun as it is you make changes. I put poppel holes in one of my 38SC guns, because I couldn't stand to shoot the bucking thing, it did tame the beast, and I shot the 2010 open nationals with it. None of my 4 9 majors have holes, the one that needs holes is a shorty, and no it is neither flat nor soft with the Thunder Comp II, I would start drilling right now except, I run a Quinn I mount on the gun and already have trouble making it thru a 32 round stage without stopping to clean the lens.

I happened to be the test mule he is referring to. I guess I just have a hard time believing that the first powder I tried turned out to be the best. I even managed to make a 171PF load with 3N38 (took 8.6 Grains) and crush it down to 1.165". I was POSITIVE that load would be so much flatter than the Silhouette load....but it just wasn't. Same thing happened with HS6, and I just wasn't a huge fan of AutoComp. I still have to try N350 and AA#7.

Bobby convinced me to not drill any holes in the barrel when I ordered the gun. After seeing my gun make a 171PF with 7.5gr of Silhouette, I believe that I could comfortably make major with 1 or 2 holes drilled in the barrel. I still won't drill the holes though......at least not for a few seasons.

Glenn

I happened to be the test mule he is referring to. I guess I just have a hard time believing that the first powder I tried turned out to be the best. I even managed to make a 171PF load with 3N38 (took 8.6 Grains) and crush it down to 1.165". I was POSITIVE that load would be so much flatter than the Silhouette load....but it just wasn't. Same thing happened with HS6, and I just wasn't a huge fan of AutoComp. I still have to try N350 and AA#7.

Bobby convinced me to not drill any holes in the barrel when I ordered the gun. After seeing my gun make a 171PF with 7.5gr of Silhouette, I believe that I could comfortably make major with 1 or 2 holes drilled in the barrel. I still won't drill the holes though......at least not for a few seasons.

Glenn

From a guy who just passed the new shooter equipment/load/comp/hole race. STOP! The sooner you stop that, pick a load, buy a timer, and spend time practicing instead of gear racing the better you will be.

Glenn

From a guy who just passed the new shooter equipment/load/comp/hole race. STOP! The sooner you stop that, pick a load, buy a timer, and spend time practicing instead of gear racing the better you will be.

The sad thing is, I know you are correct. I guess I enjoy the experimentation and testing involved in chasing the "holy grail". I realize that I will probably never find it, but it is half of the fun for me. I know, I know......I should just pick a damn load and practice. Does it make a difference that I am evaluating these loads with a timer?

Glenn

The sad thing is, I know you are correct. I guess I enjoy the experimentation and testing involved in chasing the "holy grail". I realize that I will probably never find it, but it is half of the fun for me. I know, I know......I should just pick a damn load and practice. Does it make a difference that I am evaluating these loads with a timer?

Well yeah the timer makes a difference, at least you are not doing the feel test. I've shot ton of different guns from $1000 beaters to $6000 SV's there is no Holy Grail. My favorite guns so far in no order.

Limcat 9 major pushing Shilouette 4 chamber comp with I think 6 holes drilled in the comp? Might've been 4.

STI MatchMaster 9 major with 2 holes over SP2. Guy has 50lbs of it. I hate him

A rebuild that was converted from 38 super to 9 major with a hybrid no holes drilled Azone comp. I don't recall the powder, but it was the first gun I shot in 9 major that made me consider going to 9.

Akai with a Brazos Comp 4 hybrid holes 38 SC HS6

Dave Pruitt's gun, azone comp N350 3 hybrid holes 38 super

SV 3 chamber comp with 4 hybrid holes 3N38 38 SC

Many routes to the same path of a great open gun. Each with different pros and cons, each totally capable of winning a match in the right hands. All these shooters were top notch. They had one thing in common, they bought a gun, found a load, and shot the hell out of it.

Edited by OperationHitFactor

Thanks to you and diehil for the confirmation.

Surfmaster

I was saying that the Infinity barrel with two 3/16 holes is still faster than my STI trubor barrel with out any holes I thought my new set up would need more powder but it doesnt.

Here are the pics. First is my new open gun

260-1.jpg

263.jpg

265.jpg

STI frame and slide

Infinity barrel,ejector and ambi safety

Brown grip safety

Akai comp

Aftec extractor

Brazos trig kit tuned to 2lbs

EGW small parts

I stippled the sides of the grip and then epoxied 70 grit aluminum oxide to the front strap and mainspring housing.

Matt Cheely did the front lightening cuts. Gary at Gans did the rest of the machining and fit the barrel. I fit the rest of the internals.

This is the gun I have been shooting.

271.jpg

267.jpg

Edited by donnyglock

Pinman

Thanks. Hows your Gans gun running?

Heres my first range report after shooting it in match conditions. First the gun ran perfect. No issues at all which shocked me a little. I put tape on the under side of the mount and no marks. The fact its 9 major and I seem to have gotten the ejection correct was a good feeling(so far anyway). The gun shoots flat as anything I have ever shot. The gun just snaps back exactly where it was. I was indoors so it was a little louder than my gun with no ports,but not much. I had no problems at all finding the dot on the upright mount. I actualy found it quicker to pick up than my 90 ddegree mount. I also like the fact nothing is in the way of my vision with the upright mount. My only concern was ejection issues with this style mount. If I run into these issues and I can't fix them I will send it to someone that can.

The trigger breaks super clean at 2 lbs. Everything on the gun is blended real nice and functions the way it should. Now compairing the new gun to the one I shot all last season.

First I really had to drive my other gun. It comes back to target but not as fast as the new one. I think the Akai shoto comp coupled with the two holes Shay recommends is a great combo. I was faster last night with better hits(all that matters).

Now I have only shot open since last June. I am currently a B class shooter who needs two points to make A so I'm no GM. I don't think my old gun was going to hold me back but I am excited about how the new one shoots. :cheers: Oh and the cmore lens stayed nice and clean the whole match. Never had to wipe it down between stages.

Pinman

Thanks. Hows your Gans gun running?

Heres my first range report after shooting it in match conditions. First the gun ran perfect. No issues at all which shocked me a little. I put tape on the under side of the mount and no marks. The fact its 9 major and I seem to have gotten the ejection correct was a good feeling(so far anyway). The gun shoots flat as anything I have ever shot. The gun just snaps back exactly where it was. I was indoors so it was a little louder than my gun with no ports,but not much. I had no problems at all finding the dot on the upright mount. I actualy found it quicker to pick up than my 90 ddegree mount. I also like the fact nothing is in the way of my vision with the upright mount. My only concern was ejection issues with this style mount. If I run into these issues and I can't fix them I will send it to someone that can.

The trigger breaks super clean at 2 lbs. Everything on the gun is blended real nice and functions the way it should. Now compairing the new gun to the one I shot all last season.

First I really had to drive my other gun. It comes back to target but not as fast as the new one. I think the Akai shoto comp coupled with the two holes Shay recommends is a great combo. I was faster last night with better hits(all that matters).

Now I have only shot open since last June. I am currently a B class shooter who needs two points to make A so I'm no GM. I don't think my old gun was going to hold me back but I am excited about how the new one shoots. :cheers: Oh and the cmore lens stayed nice and clean the whole match. Never had to wipe it down between stages.

Hey Donny,

I don't shoot much anymore. Haven't really had the drive. With my life getting busier the guns have gone away. In all honesty I put close to 15k through the Gans gun without a single issue. I even wanted to see if the gun would run of light stuff. So I shot 100 rounds of ammo loaded at 125 PF and it worked fine. Gary builds great guns.

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

I have an Infinity IMM in 9 Major. It is a Hybrid with three holes. I have had no problem over the years of making Major with it.

At last years Area 2 was my load 8,6 gn of HS6 with a Montana Gold 121 JHP. It made 168.

The powders that I normally use is 3N38 rougly 9 gn and 3N37 about 7,5 gn.

I have an Infinity IMM in 9 Major. It is a Hybrid with three holes. I have had no problem over the years of making Major with it.

At last years Area 2 was my load 8,6 gn of HS6 with a Montana Gold 121 JHP. It made 168.

your tellin me you can make major with 3n38 with 3 port hybrid in 9 major? i check to see what a 9 case can hold of 3n38 and 9.1-9.2 and it was FIlled. to the top. it takes 10.0 to make major in my super comp with a 3 port hybrid. interesting.

Does your 3n38 load also make 165+PF? How does the 3n38 load shoot compared to the HS6 one?