Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Quick Safety Question...

Hi everyone...got in a discussion with a fellow shooter recently and he suggested that accidents happen all the time at shooting competitions throughout the USA. I didn't want to get into a huge debate with him, but it did get me thinking....are accidents happening at these sanctioned/formal competitions? Has anyone every been killed or injured? I have never seen or heard of anyone getting injured from a gun during a competition...other than the occasional thumbnail in the shotgun loading gate. It just really threw me off guard to hear him state such a thing when I have NEVER heard of anything like it happening. I'm not asking for specific occasions...or to dig up unpleasant memories...but just curious on the stats. I'd be grateful for your insight if you have any facts.

Thanks,

Panic Flinch

Although I have only been shooting for about three years, I have never witnessed or heard of any type of gun related accident at a major or local match.

Many years ago I heard that a Florida shooter decided to holster mid-stage and put a round into his leg. I hope it was just a rumor.

Our adherance to the rules has gone a long way to assure this to be a sport with an EXCELLENT safety record. I do not hesitate to show up and compete at any USPSA sanctioned club match knowing that safety record.

I've been doing this for over 28 years. Hope to do it for another 28 years.

Now Sporting Clays, that's different. I've still got a scar where a chunk of clay pidgeon took a piece out of my left had and the stock on my Browning 525. Hate those dang clay pigeons.

Bill

Major accidents happen from time to time. But they are very rare. In fact I don't recall having heard of one for a couple of years now. Medium accidents happen more frequently, but still rare. These include Kabooms, detonations on Show Clear, etc. Minor bumps, bangs, and what not happen all the time. But we do as much damage to ourselves doing yard work, so no one really cares.

I think you will find that the shooting sports have a far better safety records than most other outdoor sports.

Major accidents happen from time to time. But they are very rare. In fact I don't recall having heard of one for a couple of years now. Medium accidents happen more frequently, but still rare. These include Kabooms, detonations on Show Clear, etc. Minor bumps, bangs, and what not happen all the time. But we do as much damage to ourselves doing yard work, so no one really cares.

I think you will find that the shooting sports have a far better safety records than most other outdoor sports.

I think this is not even debatable. While I am sure there are accidents, having coached soccer, and been shooting for a while now, there are more injuries in sports in general, than shooting sport specifically. Usually when someone gets seriously injured it is the result of movement, and not firearm related really at all.

JZ

Twice this year I've been at a match that someone has caught frag from steel in an adjacent action bay. One guy got a hole in his lower lip and a tooth knocked out, the other had a copper jacket imbedded in his upper lip. Seems like the kind of damage one might sustain from a golf ball, a baseball, or an elbow on the basketball court.

Could we have a major accident? Yes of course we could, But if our record regrading safety was to be measured by Death or Paralysis then we are incredibly safe. Football kills or critically injures kids nearly every year. If we had the record of HS or College sports we'd likely be shut down in most regions.

I have shooting IDPA and USPSA for 4 years. Major and local matches. Atleast one match a month, usually more. The only accident other than someone overheating or needing a bandaid was a kaboom during unload and show clear. The shooter was covering the ejection port and the slide caught the primer. He finished the match and then went to get a few stitches.

I personally know of 2 incidents in the past 5 years where a shooter had their finger in the trigger guard and a round inpacted their leg. One was at a major match and the other a local match. Sadly, it can happen.

A couple of years ago at IDPA (indoor) Nationals, a well known competitor put a round into his thigh while holstering.

A few years ago, a well known Open shooter put a round into his thigh. I'm not sure if it was while holstering or on the draw. I'm also not sure if it was during a match or practice.

This sort of question comes up regularly. It's not the sort of thing to be encouraged.

Our safety record is outstanding, not only when compared to other activities, but especially considering the implements involved. Injuries do happen but are rare, and as said generally don't involve the firearm.

Lest we carry on with the "I heard..." or "someone told me..." stuff, I'll close this before we assist those who would point at us and say, "That's unsafe!"

Closed.