Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How good is the Blackhawk 357 for entry level?

NicVerAZ

I am looking for a good entry-level revolver that is easy to maintain and can do some competition with, either USPSA, night steel and maybe ICORE if I have the time.

Is a Blackhawk 357 a good candidate? Found one for $300. Has "Made in the 200th Year of American Liberty" stamped on the barrel, meaning 1976, plus extra mojo.

It is in good shape. The wear line on the cylinder (whatever you revolver enthusiasts call it) is not very large.

Thanks!

I am not a revolver shooter, but I would think you would want something you can load with moon clips not one bullet at a time. That and it's a single action. The Ruger ring is common on about all the Blachawk and Vaqueros I've seen.

How good is the Blackhawk 357 for entry level?

I am looking for a good entry-level revolver that is easy to maintain and can do some competition with, either USPSA, night steel and maybe ICORE if I have the time.

Is a Blackhawk 357 a good candidate? Found one for $300. Has "Made in the 200th Year of American Liberty" stamped on the barrel, meaning 1976, plus extra mojo.

It is in good shape. The wear line on the cylinder (whatever you revolver enthusiasts call it) is not very large.

Thanks!

Well, it is probably easy to maintain. But, it's not good, at all, for the games you mentioned. All of those call for reloading on the clock.

Even a GP100, loaded 6 at a time with speed loaders, is going to be at a slight disadvantage. Though is a much better choice than the Blackhawk...and can be found for about the same money.

Nick,

Search the Pawn shops for a S&W. You can typically find Model 10 (38 special) for nice prices. One with adjustable sights and you are good to go. Just need a handful of speedloaders. I found a 6" Model 28 (357 on the large N frame) for $300.

Or check with the shooters at the local USPSA or ICORE clubs. REVO shooters tend to have stables of guns and are usually very willing to set you up for a match or two.

Nick,

Search the Pawn shops for a S&W. You can typically find Model 10 (38 special) for nice prices. One with adjustable sights and you are good to go. Just need a handful of speedloaders. I found a 6" Model 28 (357 on the large N frame) for $300.

Or check with the shooters at the local USPSA or ICORE clubs. REVO shooters tend to have stables of guns and are usually very willing to set you up for a match or two.

A model 10 with adjustable sights is a model 15. It is generally not worth trying to add adjustable sights to a 10.

Nick, I would do as JFlowers suggests and hit the pawn shops to look for an L frame style in the 38 special. That would be the Smith 586, 686, or the Ruger GP 100. It is easy to get speedloaders for them. You could look for the K Frame in the Model 15 as Underlug mentions. The larger N Frame in the 38 caliber are harder to find good speedloaders. Moonclipping the long 38 special is an option but I find that the round is less forgiving when you are slghtly off. The L and K frames are encouraged because they "May" be able to be found at a resonable price. And go for the 6 shot versions to make it more simple getting the gear that you would need. Most of the revo shooters I know in Arizona are more than willing to loan equipment and even a spare revo to let you know what is going to work for you. Good luck tell I said Hey, (But please don't tell them where I am) :devil: Later rdd

You're in Mesa, Az. Start visiting, joining Rio Salado or other local matches. Help, watch, talk and I'd bet in a short while you'll be offered a rig to borrow for a match, with some training. Then you can see what they actually are using. Mesa is home to a big USPSA club with lots of top shooters.

Be humble ask a few questions and listen intently.

This reminded me that 20 or so years ago a frend and I setup and ran combat matches before USPSA was common in our area. We set up short field courses as a lot of the shooters only had a couple of mags. We had a lot of new or beginner shooters.

We had a guy show up with a Blackhawk .45 and wanted to shoot. He watched the first match and came back to the second ready to shoot. He had 3 blackhawks in same caliber and the cylinders interchanged. One gun and three cylinders. Yep when he needed to reload he popped out the cylinder put in a pouch on his belt and grabbed a full cylinder and put it in the gun.

He was actually pretty fast and while he was not a top finisher he never finished last. He was accurate and never had a malfunction. He was having a blast and it was impressive to watch. He also said his three blackhawks that he owned cost less combined than most of the guns at the shoot. Maybe so in those days.

Edited by Bosshoss