Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Just picked up my first open gun!

divenshort

Well seeing a pretty sweet deal on this gun I jumped on it knowing nothing about handgun competitions! I am a Precision Rifle shooter mostly! Thought I would try and branch out into other trades. STI competitor. Not sure if any work has been done on it or by who. Received it in trade with 4 mags, 2 20 rounders and 2 27 rounders. Dont know what mm those are! Its chambered in 38 super. Picked it all up for just under $1600 in trade value. Is that a great price or just alright?

post-39067-0-60830700-1332909032_thumb.j

Edited by divenshort

Received it in trade with 2 20 rounders and 2 27 rounders. Its chambered in 38 super. for $1600 in trade value. Is that a great price or just alright?

If it shoots accurately, it's a great price.

Looks like a very nice gun.

Good luck with it.

Well seeing a pretty sweet deal on this gun I jumped on it knowing nothing about handgun competitions! I am a Precision Rifle shooter mostly! Thought I would try and branch out into other trades. STI competitor. Not sure if any work has been done on it or by who. Received it in trade with 4 mags, 2 20 rounders and 2 27 rounders. Dont know what mm those are! Its chambered in 38 super. Picked it all up for just under $1600 in trade value. Is that a great price or just alright?

I've only bought 2 for less, but one didn't count a Tanfo V8, I'd say you got a smoking hot deal. It is a bit old school but nothing wrong with that. Get some N105 or similar and run the pf up to about 175 and have a blast.

I bought a smilar gun, to that one and had a smith for a sponsor and completely re-did it, but in the end it didn't make me any faster so take it shoot the snot out of it then when you are ready to move up sell it get your money back and give someone else the chance to get started in open.

Ron

Will get a range report either later today or tomorrow! Thanks guys I'm pretty excited about it. All my reloading components are not in yet so will just be shooting a couple of boxes out of it to get a small feel for it.

Sweet! Very nice looking blaster. As long as it runs and shoots well I'd say you got a smokin' deal.

The 20rnd mags are probably 140mm and 27's are most likely "big stock" 170mm. Download the USPSA rule book and look in the appendix for the mag measuring procedure.

Don't be too disappointed if the gun won't run with factory ammo. Your factory 38 Super ammo is probably in the 130-140pf range (PF = velocity in feet per second * bullet weight in grains / 1000).

That gun was probably designed to run 175-185pf ammo. My buddy converted his open gun to run 130pf ammo for shooting Steel Challenge. He ended up with almost the lightest recoil spring he could find (7lb).

I'd say some work has been done to that gun. Just wondering why the three screws in the bottom of the comp? Probably someone tinkering to enlarge the chambers and wound up daylighting through the bottom. Then drilled and tapped to plug the holes.

Not to worry though, if it runs you're good to go. Be sure the trigger functions reliably and all safeties work properly. You could easily replace the comp if you wanted to.

I thought the same.Are they porting the bottom of the comps now?lol.

I'd say some work has been done to that gun. Just wondering why the three screws in the bottom of the comp? Probably someone tinkering to enlarge the chambers and wound up daylighting through the bottom. Then drilled and tapped to plug the holes.

Not to worry though, if it runs you're good to go. Be sure the trigger functions reliably and all safeties work properly. You could easily replace the comp if you wanted to.

Great deal, no question about it, so enjoy it!

One question - besides the screws on the bottom of the comp, what is the undercut on the mount for?

I believe it was for the original owners thumb to rest on. As far as the screws not 100% sure on that! Will check it out when I clean it later tonight. I just got back from the range. Gun shot great! Me on the other hand...just a little limp wristed! Almost every other round was a stove pipe. Now I thought it might be the ammo but I let a friend who is good at shooting pistol try it and it performed flawlessly. He said it looked like I was limp wristing it. I think he was right. I have a lot of practicing to do with this thing before I go to my first match. But the gun is awesome! No recoil at all almost! The C-more sight is cool! Excited to get my Re-loads up and running for this.