Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Flaunting the rules

Flexmoney

I went to a match Sunday, and they had a rather unique target presentation.

I'll see if I can draw it up in paintshop or something...

OK...my photoshop skills suck. But, the idea was that they took an upside down target and traced a turtle target on it, then made the rest hardcover.

(They had absolutely no prompting from me.)

post-10-1089048858_thumb.jpg

I went to a match last year where they painted a black(hardcover) necktie on each target. Man will that mess with people. It wasnt a straight up and down tie but more like an oldschool double type.

..... and traced a turtle target on it, then made the rest hardcover.

Hmmm. A "Flaunting the rules" thread in the "What I like" forum ...............

Rule 2.1.8.4 aside, it's still not an authorised target. You either use a Metric Target or a Classic Target, according to the official dimensions. I don't know what you call what you saw, but it wasn't IPSC. The shape of the scoring areas on each target are different.

What next? Tracing a Mini-Popper on the face of a full-sized popper? :angry:

POSTSCRIPT: On second thoughts, did you mean to say "They used a Classic Target to trace a hexagonal outline onto a Metric Target, but the scoring zones and shapes of the Metric Target remained intact, albeit partially reduced by simulated hard cover"? If so, then it's odd but lawful, because they've just added simulated hard cover in a weird way by using a Classic Target as a template (i.e. not the Classic Target scoring zones superimposed on a Metric Target).

What next? Tracing a Mini-Popper on the face of a full-sized popper?

...but...but...if you hit the "hardcover" area and the whole thing falls, is that a REF? :P

"mcoliver" - Is it just a coincidence that your avatar is the logo for the Alludium Q36 Pumpkin Modulator?

I like this presentation, It wiill certainly make you think!

As to painting on ties; we have shot a few matches where the No-Shoots have two hands painted on them and the threat targets are identified with a knife, pistol or rifle image. The Rifles were declared "Hardcover". Other interesting presentations are a 3x5 card painted black placed on the center of the A-Zone; Hardcover. If you think you are really aiming at a point on the target and not shooting center of mass, this will tell you very quickly. You'd be surprised at the number of hits the card takes!

I have no problem with these alternate target maskings as long as the entire target face is exposed or any concealed portino is either all Hardcover or all scoring. You can't conceal a half hardcover portion of the target.

Jim Norman

POSTSCRIPT: On second thoughts, did you mean to say "They used a Classic Target to trace a hexagonal outline onto a Metric Target, but the scoring zones and shapes of the Metric Target remained intact, albeit partially reduced by simulated hard cover"? If so, then it's odd but lawful, because they've just added simulated hard cover in a weird way by using a Classic Target as a template (i.e. not the Classic Target scoring zones superimposed on a Metric Target).

VP, I was also at this match, and would say that what you stated in your Postscript was exactly what we saw. IOW, it appeared that they used a Classic target as a hard cover template on top of a metric target. ;)

Speaking of kind of weird looking hard cover.... would you consider Jeeper's comment about a hard cover 'necktie' being painted on a target, as a legal target? I can not see where it would be illegal, but it just doesn't seem right... :huh:

2.1.8.4 Static paper targets must not be presented at an angle greater than 90 degrees from the vertical.

stupid rules like this make me wonder.

I couldn't agree more.

My understanding this is a game, not a haven for the wannabees of the world. I've yet to see an argument against upside-down targets that wasn't pitifully lame.

I shot a stage Saturday where the shooter flipped a coin at the beep to see if he was going to start with the heads-up or the heads-down array first. Not my favorite kind of stage, as coin flipping on the clock is hardly a shooting skill, but I doubt I'm ruined for life or anything, since it all came down to hitting the target.

Guys, while I couldn't agree more...let's not debate the heads down target rule here. We don't need to get that can of worms opened up here again (Jim and Vince...please hold off :)).

There is a thread about that rule on the USPSA Forums that would be a great place to voice your opinions: (click here)

I can not see what it would be illegal, but it just doesn't seem right...

BDH...we gotta get you thinking outside the box. ;) Maybe we could shoot a few non-USPSA matches?

I'll see if I can draw up the hardcover that Tom R. uses at some of the 3-gun matches. Kinda different...

Got it. It's not as bad at eating up targets as one would think. Most shoot .223, so the holes are little. They work well for under 50y placement.

post-10-1089141325_thumb.jpg

Speaking of kind of weird looking hard cover.... would you consider Jeeper's comment about a hard cover 'necktie' being painted on a target, as a legal target? I can not see where it would be illegal, but it just doesn't seem right...  :huh:

Legal? Probably, but what's the point? Does anybody make ballistic neckties these days? If not, how can a necktie be hard cover? Or is it just decorative? If so, what's next? Ballistic boxer shorts? A ballistic cigarette case in the "pocket" of a target (it works for James Bond). And what's the point of painting hands on a Penalty Target? If you shoot the "hands", are they supposed to be hard cover?

All of these items are gimmicks, and they tell me the so-called "course designer" needs to get out more and see the world.

I used to think I was a crash-hot course designer until I started travelling to international matches. My first such match was in the Philippines, and I was humbled. I also realised I had much, much more to learn than to teach at that time, but I'm sure there are others who feel exactly the opposite.

Flex, I will indeed refrain from making comments about the upside-down target, and my first post even said "Rule 2.1.8.4 aside", but you started this thread with such a target, so I hope you appreciate my restraint and will send me flowers and candy (preferably roses and Mrs. Sees).

I do, however, like "helmet head" because it's a realistic representation but, if you want to put that target upside-down too, the stage should be called "Break Dancing" <_<

Yo!

Ballistic boxer shorts?

I can think of several situations in which a pair of "mutande di latta" (italian saying for tin boxers) are useful/recommendable.

Whenever this item will be sold, methinks to get one or two... ;)