Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Model to Start USPSA ( Non Reloader)

Reggie

I am just getting started in USPSA competition and would like to hear which gun would be the best to start as a beginner. I don't planon reloading at this time and don't want to start in open. I would like to start in production and 1 grand master and master have recommended a Glock 34 . Also how would you best site this gun to keep it in production class ? Recommendations for shooting DVD's or videos would also be helpful.

Thanks,

Rick : :unsure:

Glock 34, Heinie sights (maybe a Dawson Precision FO front sight a little later), 5 or 6 extra mags, lots of ammo, Matt Burkett's DVDs, Brian's book, Steve Anderson's book.

Try a search... lots of info on books and DVDs around here.

Reggie,

I agree with 300lbGorilla and your GM friend on the G34. It is a slightly easier gun to shoot that a G17 with the longer sight radius and I just like the look and feel of it. If you aren't going to be reloading the 9mm bullets are probably the cheapest. From $3.89/bx for Blazer (at Academy Sports) to the White box Winchester at Wally world for about $6/bx.

Buy a kydex holster with a couple of mag holders and you will be in business. Shooting Production you will be 10 round limited so the post-ban (may it go away in Sept!!!!!) mags will be just what you need.

As for the sights, the G34 comes with a pretty fair adjustable sight. There are better after-market sights, but if you want to save the bucks as a new shooter, the sights on it work well. One recommendation I would make is to put a fiber optic on the front. The fiber just seems to jump out at you whether you are shooting indoors or out.

FWIW

dj

RELOADS

RELOADS

RELOADS

RELOADS

RELOADS

..... (Have I made my point yet.)

Make your choice based on being able to comfortably and quickly reload with a minimum of shifting. You are going to just hate life if you're dropping 5+ seconds a stage just because you can't reload your gun efficiently. If you're shooting Prod or Lim10, you will generally make on average 2 reloads on most field courses.

I'm with Trigger T on this one - Don't overlook a Springfield XD for production - especiialy if it fits your hand and points more naturally than the Glock. A 5" Xd Tactical is every bit as good as a Glock G34. Ask TGO.

my vote would be for the glock 34. it sits lower in your hand which makes for less muzzle flip. i've shot the xd and didn't care for the way it sits high in the hand. besides the mags for the glock are dirt cheap.

if not placing high in the overall results, due to minor scoring, doesn't bother you then shooting production is the way to go. some commercial ammo can be purchased for $3.99 per 50 count box.

for the same price as a 34 you could purchase a 35 and shoot in all the divisions except revolver. the 35 will score major giving you the most points possible. however the ammo cost will be a bit more than 9mm.

buy both if you have the cash. :D

this is just my 2 cents. you can take it or leave it.

another vote for the 34 (my favorite 9mm is the Sig P226, but for starting out, that first DA pull can be difficult to get used to)

Uncle Mike's belt-slide Kydex can be had for around $15/holster and $15/ea for 2 dual mag-holders ... and are easy to come by (Gander Mtn, Sportsman's Whse).

I started out with just a CCW belt ... ran with that for a couple years ... it's a little unnerving scraping that Uncle Mike's Kydex back and forth over fine leather. For under $60, you can get a Safariland over and under belt (from Brian Enos) ... the under-belt is the "hook" part of velcro and goes thru your belt-loops just like any other belt ... the over-belt is the "loop" part of velcro ... you put your holster and mag-holders on that and just wrap it over the under-belt. After the match, you just peel off the over-belt and all your stuff's off ... taking off the under-belt, at that point, is no more difficult than any other belt. And you'd be hard-pressed to find any other belt for under $60 that will keep your stuff vertical.

Also, for starting out, I'd just run with the Glock sights that come with the gun. I shot a stock 34 for my first year and a half and the sights were the least of my problems. ;)

Good luck! :)

I'd stay away from the Blazers, no matter what gun you're going to use. They don't even work 80% of the time in my .40 S&W Limited gun, which works 100% with every other ammo on the planet. IIRC, Glock doesn't warrant that they (the Blazer) will work in a Glock.

If you do get a Glock, which are excellent guns, I would 86 the factory sights. There are plenty of aftermarket sights available for the Glock, from Heinie, Aro-Tek, Wilson, Novak, all of which are available from Brownells.

Get a good, stiff belt, such as the one The Wilderness sells, and at least 3 mag pouches.

Go to an IPSC or IDPA match and ask if you can try different' people's guns. There are also gun ranges that rent guns.

-David

Glock 34/17 & the SA XD-9 (aka Croatian made HS 2000) offer an advantage in terms of sheer simplicity for the beginner; just load & holster & wait for the beep. Trigger pull is always the same. Advantage for the new shooter: concentrate on the good hits needed for Production Division. Both guns have proven reliable for me. Blazer should be fine in either gun; I shoot with Team Blazer at selected GSSF events (we won the team event in Waldorf, '04). Short of reloading, I think Blazer & Glock are a fine mix.

What about the rest of the gun field? For whatever reason, I do not shoot as well in USPSA with a Glock. Not sure why but I do better with a gun not mentioned so far: the CZ-75B/ CZ-85 Combat (very similar). My choice for a non-Glock/XD would be:

1)CZ-85 Combat / CZ75B/ EAA full size / Jericho 941/ IMI Eagle (Magnum Research)

2)Beretta

3)Sig

Just my personal preference; if you rate these guns differently, then great. I think all of these guns have placed in the top 10 at the USPSA Factory gun Nationals at one time or another since Production DIvision was created; all should be capable guns for the beginner.

Dark horse entries: Don't count out the Steyr M9; these are on closeout CHEAP! They have also been used to shoot into Master class by Air FOrce SHooting Team member Tom Freeman. Great gun! There is even a new model Steyr called the Steyr M1-A in 9mm that should be even better. Sadly, I seem to shoot my Steyrs about like I shoot a Glock (not so good). Does not mean they are bad, just that I have difficulty shooting them. You will also likely hear about the Para Ord LDA 9mm for USPSA. Have not shot one in competition. I rarely see these last 2 guns used in Area 8. Maybe more popular elsewhere.

Regards,

Douglas

TY-44934

NROI RO

USPSA/IDPA/GSSF

www.shootersparadise.com

My vote would be for the Sig P226 with the steel frame and guide rail rainierguns_1068654622_Picture_249.jpg. The first shot sucks, but Bruce Gray can fix that, and the the thing is by far the softest 9mm I've ever shot, hardly any felt recoil. It isn't cheap though, but then again you get what you pay for :) The Glock 34 is the economical choice and a good gun too.