Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Elbow pain

2005 Vette

You need to start aggressive grip strengthening, active and passive stretching. Avoid steroid injections as they do little to no good for this problem.

buy some handballs, or those stress reliever balls and go to work. Or buy the grippers and get started.

You also need to work on the extensors, (they bring your hand back) those are the ones that are weak and thus create this problem.

Get a large plastic jar something your hand can fit into, fill it with sand, splay your fingers out and pull up hold and hold for as long as you can. load more sand as you get stronger.

ice, ice, ice, ice. 3-4 times per day.

stretching, pull you hand and fingers back, or push against a wall. do a search for more stretches, my carpal tunnel is acting up. <_<

You need to start aggressive grip strengthening, active and passive stretching. Avoid steroid injections as they do little to no good for this problem.

buy some handballs, or those stress reliever balls and go to work. Or buy the grippers and get started.

You also need to work on the extensors, (they bring your hand back) those are the ones that are weak and thus create this problem.

Get a large plastic jar something your hand can fit into, fill it with sand, splay your fingers out and pull up hold and hold for as long as you can. load more sand as you get stronger.

ice, ice, ice, ice. 3-4 times per day.

stretching, pull you hand and fingers back, or push against a wall. do a search for more stretches, my carpal tunnel is acting up. <_<

Pretty much what my Dr has me doing. My pain started in Jan and these things help some but haven't cured it fully. The thing that has helped the most has been using the ace Tennis elbow wrap and stretching. I've been trying cold packs pretty much straight for three weeks and they have helped a little but not as much as suggested by the Doc. Perhaps I'll pick up the stress ball or a gripper today.

Edited by Dirty Rod

I had this when i picked up powerlifting again after 10 years away. that and shooting 1k rounds per week were just too much. I work on shoulder, bicep, tricep, forearm stretching. I don't use straps when lifting so i keep by grip strength up.

this takes months to go away, and will flare up from time to time.

I have had this alternating on both elbows on and off since 2005

Had steroids on both, arm bands, pain killers,rehab. exercise, etc

But the most effective is prolonged rest from any activity that tend to cause this, eg shooting live and dry, say 6 mos. or more, and complete rest is a must. Otherwise it becomes chronic.

A PA friend of mine who works for a sports doctor gave me a tip that helped tremendously. Sleep with a wrist brace on. Keeps the wrist from bending in all kinds of weird angles during the night.

I totally agree with this!

I had the shots, lasted about two weeks. Best thing I ever did was acupuncture one time, then massage.

wg

resorted to acupuncture-3rd session tomorrow. got 30-35 needles in all kinds of strange places. haven't felt relief as yet.

That is weird... I had one treatment, three needles, it released it enough that one time that the massage therapist just does touch up on occasion now. I had instant releif from the accupuncture...that's the pits for you.

wg

I have had this alternating on both elbows on and off since 2005

Had steroids on both, arm bands, pain killers,rehab. exercise, etc

But the most effective is prolonged rest from any activity that tend to cause this, eg shooting live and dry, say 6 mos. or more, and complete rest is a must. Otherwise it becomes chronic.

I don't think rest is a must and if you wait till it's better you might be waiting 2 years. It's the nature of the condition to become chronic, and the cortisone only makes it worse. Regarding keeping up your activity, I just reviewed a study on Achilles tendinopathy (pretty much the same condition in a different area) that found continuing with activity did not hamper recovery.

http://absolutept.com/tendinitisresearch.php

It's the Silbernagel 2007 study, 9th from the top.

• 2 weeks later...

Guys thanks for the advice. To answer one question it is my strong hand. I went to the doctor last Friday. Diagnosis is the same as others have had on this board. Rest, ice, massage, and don't do anything that aggravates it. This sucks!!! It's spring in Minnesota and this is the season I'm most active. Golf for one that doesn't hurt too much and this summer I was -am going to do IDPA. If this doesn't work in a month the doc wants to shoot me up and go to occupational therapy. I'm not crazy about the cortisone. Again thanks for the feedback I need to go ice.

Guys thanks for the advice. To answer one question it is my strong hand. I went to the doctor last Friday. Diagnosis is the same as others have had on this board. Rest, ice, massage, and don't do anything that aggravates it. This sucks!!! It's spring in Minnesota and this is the season I'm most active. Golf for one that doesn't hurt too much and this summer I was -am going to do IDPA. If this doesn't work in a month the doc wants to shoot me up and go to occupational therapy. I'm not crazy about the cortisone. Again thanks for the feedback I need to go ice.

Listen to your doctor. I'm on month 3 of recovery from surgery, complete elbow rebuild. You have to give it months, if not years to heal properly, and the cortisone can mask other issues. If you do get cortisone, be sure to exercise through the entire process, otherwise you can wind up with a weak arm and a strong grip, which can cause a lot of issues.