Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting glasses

maverick

I was wondering if you guys can tell me where I can get some shooting glasses and also give me some suggestions as to which model. I've done some searches here and have heard good things about Rudy Projects and Oakleys. Is there a particular model which you guys will recommend? I'm mainly an indoor shooter so I would like to have the colored lenses which amplify light. Any online shops you would suggest I buy from at a reasonable price? Thanks for your suggestions!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After trying the Oakleys M frames, I think I will go for the shooting array set. I've done a few searches on Yahoo and it seems the $235 price is pretty standard. Would anyone know where/how I might be able to get it for cheaper?

Thanks!

Maverick,

You will not find the Oakley's cheaper than that, unless you're a LEO. And at $235, it's an awesome price! The M Frames and 1 lens currently run $150 to $180 and the replacement lenses are $70!

The Rudy's are "okay". If price is a concern, go with Rudy's (from Shanahan), if price is no object, buy the M frames.

Just to throw my .02 in - I've have 2 pairs of M-Frames that I've been using since I started shooting in '94 (I'm a late bloomer). I also use one pair whenever I'm outside doing yard work. Both of them have gotten hit numerous times with ejected brass, shrapnel off of steel, rocks from the lawn mower, etc. and the lenses still look like the day I bought them.

Jim Shanahan will take care of you if you choose the Rudy route.

An interesting Rudy Project story. During last years Tour De France, one of the teams that was sponsored by Rudy (I think) were using Rudy Project helmets, but they were all wearing Oakley glasses.

-David

Thanks for all the opinion guys...! But I think I will still be sticking with the Oakleys'... so can someone plz suggest a place where I can buy them online? I'll need a place which ships internationally.... thanks.

Oh one more thing, how hard/easy would it be to find the Oakley Shooting Array set in normal retail stores in the US? I'll be going to New York City soon so maybe I can avoid the shipping costs. Sorry about all the questions!! thanks.

Do try to get in touch with Jim. The Rudy's are fantastic. I like them so much that I bought 2 pairs of Kerosenes (one for IPSC and one for hunting), 1 Ekynox (for biking), 1 Kybo (everyday wear), 1 Graal Fyol (I keep in my truck for driving); and a Rudy Project bike helmet. I love their stuff and their warranty is second to none. Jim is also a great guy to do business with (his grips are great). Take care.

davidwiz, thanks for the link. I looked through their website but I couldn't find that shooting array package. Any other places I could look in the NYC area?

Btw, are there any indoor ranges in the NYC area?

Thanks. :)

Kath,

If you get the non-Iridium lenses (like Grey, Persimmon, Yellow, Clear, etc) the lenses are $30-$35. It is the Iridium lenses that are spendy. Just FYI.

I purhased my Pro M-Frames with a grey lenses for $100 new. My clear lens cost $27 on sale.

A good place to find deals on Oakley products is when bike shops have sales. The LBS had everything on sale. I talked to the Oakley rep for about an hour and he handed me a free pair of persimmon lenses for my Half Jackets. In turn, I bought another lense for my M-Frames.

I've heard lots of good things about RP, but Oakley has never given me reason to try anything else.

I use the Bolle Vigilante with the RX-adapter, like R. Roorda one of our top-shooters in Open overhere, hard to beat.

No blur... no parallax when shooting outdoor.

Clear View! Comes with 3 extra lenses in different colours/shades for just Euro 220,-- (incl. the bins, hate getting older)

Henny

Mav,

Check out Oakley's dealer locator. There are at least 11 different authorized Oakley dealers in NYC. On the same web site they also have a list of on-line stores. Paragon stocks waaaay more stuff in their store than is listed or available on their web site.

-David

... I would like to have the colored lenses which amplify light.

Actually, no lens, especially a colored lens, "amplifies" light. Clear has the greatest light transmission, followed generally by yellow then the rest of the colors. Any "amplification" is an illusion. Filtering particular wavelengths can certainly enhance clarity and reduce eyestrain, however. For indoors, you really need clear lenses. It's just too dark for anything else.

Rudys are excellent. Do be careful when you purchase as apparently Rudy has decided to counterfeit their own line with cheap knockoffs that are *similar* in style to their premium line. Stick to purchasing known models from Rudy's website and you should be OK.

The Rudy's are fantastic. ... and their warranty is second to none.

I had an old pair of RP Kerosene's and sweat had corroded the metal areas on the temples and nose piece. A few minutes after dropping by RP's office and the thing looks brand new! :o

I remember wishing I had placed indentifying marlks on my frame because now I could swear they replaced the whole thing ('cept the lense, w/c I think they would've if it was badly scratched). Wow! Can't beat that. ;)

I've had Wiley-X whic are crap. The lens is not scientifically curved like Oakleys or Rudy Project. I can't tell much visual difference between Oakley and RP, but the RP fits my head perfect. Oakleys are made for white people with wider faces.

Ok after much consideration, I finally bought the Rudy Project Rydon instead of the Oakleys. They came with the smoke black lenses and I also bought a replacement set of yellow lenses. However, I really want to buy a set of clear lenses! Would Jim have them for sale? I tried to contact him through his website but the feedback page wouldn't work. I'd appreciate it if someone could provide me with his email address. Thanks.

The address I have for him is DVC40JIM@aol.com. That is at least a year old but Jim is a member here so he will probably see this. I am sure Jim can get whatever you want as he is a Rudy dealer and can order direct from the US distributor.

I would highly recommend the Racing Red lenses. I am tending to wear those 90% of the time now even in moderately bright light. They help to make the targets "pop" out of the background...at least for me. I only wear my yellow lenses when shooting on very gray, overcast days.