Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

So, I've recently taken up the hobby of brewing my own beer. I like craft beers a lot and really enjoy super hoppy IPA's as well as other (non) commercial beers. I'm waiting for my 5th batch to finish in the fermentor. The wait sucks but the satisfaction is amazing! I recently poured my first home brew ( a spiced pumpkin ale) and honestly its amazing! Ive been busy collecting equipment to turn my garage into a home brewery, but its a nice past-time. Nothing like cracking open one of your own brews and relaxing.

Just thought I'd toss this out there and see if theres others that enjoy the same hobby.

Cheers :cheers:

I have made my own brew once and found it very rewarding. This post just reminds me of the wait and the happiness of taking that first sip. You should take a photo of your setup.

With three of my pals, also shooters, we have been brewing all grain, 10 gallon batches for about 2 years.

currently on tap:

Russian Imperial Stout

Sculpin'ish IPA

Kman Rye PA

Red Falcon Ale

Pourfect Porter

up next:

Pilsner

Kolsch

Octoberfest

Glad to see there's a few here that enjoy brewing. Like all other new brewers my first batches were all extract batches. I'm ready to step up to all grain now tho. I understand the basics and I'm very careful with sanitization. I currently have two sanke kegs that I'm ordering all the parts to turn them into keggles. I'm in a quandary tho, one will be for my boil kettle, another for a hot liquor tun, but what should I use as a mash tun? A 10 gal rubbermaid drink cooler? Or should I get another keg? What say you?

Another homebrewer here! Going all grain on my next batch, just finished making my mash tun. I used a 48 quart Coleman from Sears. Easy to convert, cost about $20 in parts from Lowes, total invest around 50.00, tested fittings and it is leak proof. Using a steel braid for the filter as I was too lazy to make a manifold.

Let's see, only doing it since Christmas 2011 but have an amber ale (almost gone), a red ale bottle conditioning in its 3rd week, AHS Northern Brown Ale (also conditioning) and just transferred an Imperial Pale Ale into secondary yesterday. All extracts. Next one will be another Northern Brown from AHS but all grain instead of extract so I can see if there is a difference.

AHS is Austin Homebrewing Supply, highly recommended.

Edited by vluc

Glad to see there's a few here that enjoy brewing. Like all other new brewers my first batches were all extract batches. I'm ready to step up to all grain now tho. I understand the basics and I'm very careful with sanitization. I currently have two sanke kegs that I'm ordering all the parts to turn them into keggles. I'm in a quandary tho, one will be for my boil kettle, another for a hot liquor tun, but what should I use as a mash tun? A 10 gal rubbermaid drink cooler? Or should I get another keg? What say you?

I use a cooler, as you can see from the picture I posted. You can go either way, but using a keggle you'll have to insulate it and possibly have another burner to maintain temps. The coolers do a really good job of maintaining mash temps. I first started with the 5 gallon one pictured, but if you can get it go with the ten. I upgraded over the summer to the ten gallon so I could do a breakfast stout that came in at 8.1% abv. The five gallon mash tun I would've ran out of room. Check this book out by John Palmer, the online edition is free, here's the link. My link

Also Austin Homebrew is a great place, free shipping over $100.

Edited by AS350Driver

Awesome thanks for the link. I've been ordering my stuff from northern brewer lately, but have heard a lot of positive things about Austin homebrew supply.

I read alot of the forums at homebrewtalk and just like this forum learn alot from what I read. I have been finding that brewing is as cheap or expensive that you want to make it. So far I've got very little invested. Mostly stuff I've pieced together. The keggles were free, etc etc.

I am another homebrewer. I do all grain and extract. Focus mainly on Browns, Porters and Stouts. I have been making more wine lately though. Cheap, or FREE, ingredients and free bottles. It works for me.

Awesome thanks for the link. I've been ordering my stuff from northern brewer lately, but have heard a lot of positive things about Austin homebrew supply.

I read alot of the forums at homebrewtalk and just like this forum learn alot from what I read. I have been finding that brewing is as cheap or expensive that you want to make it. So far I've got very little invested. Mostly stuff I've pieced together. The keggles were free, etc etc.

Also on HBT. Great forum, much like this one - sometimes TOO much information!

We're close enough we should exchange beers if we run into each other at bigger matches!

Edited by vluc

With three of my pals, also shooters, we have been brewing all grain, 10 gallon batches for about 2 years.

currently on tap:

Russian Imperial Stout

Sculpin'ish IPA

Kman Rye PA

Red Falcon Ale

Pourfect Porter

up next:

Pilsner

Kolsch

Octoberfest

It's interesting - the number of shooters who also enjoy good beer. I'm one of the "Basman Brew Buddies" - recently started brewing my own 5-gallon batches at home. So far I've brewed a Honey Brown Ale, a Cream Ale, and my first all-grain batch: a North German Altbier. Currently I have a Bourbon Barrel Porter on tap, and a Surly Smoked Lager in the secondary fermenter (from Northern Brewer). Up next, another go at a North German Altbier.

Here's a pic of my setup:

IMG-20120215-00265.jpg

Edited by Jeff Matzka

Man, you guys are driving me nuts. I love drinking beer.

I loved woodshop. A teacher said I should try machine trades. I am a machinist.

I love fresh produce. A co-worker suggested a small garden. I am a gardener.

I love shooting. Some friends and I talked about trying out a few different competitions. I am a shooter.

I love drinking beer. Where is this pattern going?

I only have so much man cave to go around.

You take this homade beer talk and go back where you came from. PLEASE... :cheers:

Man, you guys are driving me nuts. I love drinking beer.

I loved woodshop. A teacher said I should try machine trades. I am a machinist.

I love fresh produce. A co-worker suggested a small garden. I am a gardener.

I love shooting. Some friends and I talked about trying out a few different competitions. I am a shooter.

I love drinking beer. Where is this pattern going?

I only have so much man cave to go around.

You take this homade beer talk and go back where you came from. PLEASE... :cheers:

Does not take that much room. You can go as much or as little into it as you want. All my gear, with the exception of the gas burner and 40 qt pot, can fit in a small closet. If you just do extract, a stockpot, a couple of buckets, a better bottle PET carboy and the various little gadgets you need can make EXCELLENT beer on your stove top. Just means you take over the kitchen for a few hours, that's all.

I dont like heavy beers, but do like wines so same logic would apply. Whats better than home brewing ? A buddy that home brews.

I actually have a friend with a small hobby winery and get this, he doesnt drink wine. SCORE !

What you need is a chalice !

It is a proven fact that a chalice will add dignity and class to any situation. :D

If you are drinking beer out of a can at 9:30 in the morning people say you are a drunk.

Drink that same beer out of a chalice and all of a sudden you are a connoisseur with a passion for fine beverages.

I have never tried this but I totally want to! I LOVE trying new and different beers but a couple years ago I had to become gluten free. So now I am incredibly limited in my beer choices. I would love to have some variety!

Go on HomeBrewTalk.com, they have an entire section on gluten free brewing. I don't frequent that area of the forum, but i'm sure you can get a lot of info, not only about brewing it, but also about commercial brewers who make GF beer.

• 1 month later...

Just did my first all grain batch on Saturday after doing all extract kits. What a hoot!

Fermenter is bubbling away like crazy today. Looking forward to this one almost as much as my very first go at making beer!

How the hell did I miss this thread?????

I have not gotten into all grain, sticking with extract/partial grain brewing. Its a bit of an investment, but if you can make the jump to kegging your own beer it is really worth it. Much easier to clean and sanitize one container than dozens of bottles.

I haven't made any brew in a while. Might have to dust off the gear and fire up a batch. :cheers:

A friend of mine has done it for a couple of years and has tried to convince me to join in. I just don't have the patience to wait for the brewing process.

LOL! My first one I watched constantly and was impatient to taste. Now, I have a few cases bottle conditioning that have been in the back room for weeks and I'm not curious at all about them. I even find myself in no rush to get them from the primary fermenter into the secondary.

For me it was a matter of getting the pipeline filled. Once you get that first 4-6 brews going where you have enough variety to drink, I think you aren't that impatient - or not as much!

How the hell did I miss this thread?????

I have not gotten into all grain, sticking with extract/partial grain brewing. Its a bit of an investment, but if you can make the jump to kegging your own beer it is really worth it. Much easier to clean and sanitize one container than dozens of bottles.

I haven't made any brew in a while. Might have to dust off the gear and fire up a batch. :cheers:

Kegging is being considered! Kind of interested in the mini-kegs they have available in the market. No room in a fridge for the bigger 5G ones, unfortunately. There is something very gratifying about pooping the top off of your own bottled beer, though!