Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Range Scope

Puma

Would like to purchase a range scope to check my hits when sighting in a rifle. What should I look for in a scope? Is there such a thing as a favorite range scope ?

Any and all suggestions and recommendations will be greatly appreciated !

Most people at the matches I go to, including myself, use a Kowa.

I started with a $50 special at Cabelas. A Simmons. It worked ok for up to maybe 100 yards if I was lucky. Then I bought a Konuspot 100 because some other guys had konus scopes. It was fine for 100, but did not work very well for 200 yards.

Then I bit the bullet and bought the Kowa. Well worth it. I won't need another scope.

Darren

Anything less than a scope that costs a few hundred dollars is going to be a bust.

Personally - I'd rather spend that money on an optic that's actually on my gun - shoot my paper to sight in, walk to check the target - and shoot steel in practice.

Anything less than a scope that costs a few hundred dollars is going to be a bust.

Personally - I'd rather spend that money on an optic that's actually on my gun - shoot my paper to sight in, walk to check the target - and shoot steel in practice.

Well put. I agree.

It is really hard to recommend based on the information posted. Do you hunt in the west where you will get extra duty out of such a scope? Do you shoot mostly 223 or do you mostly shoot 30 caliber stuff and at what range? Had you rather buy a 6x24 that you would like to use on another rifle and take it to the range to use as a spotting scope rather than own a stand alone?

One thing often overlooked is that there are some great values out there depending on your intended use and what is right for one shooter might not be what someone else needs. Having looked at a lot of these scopes, what I see as the most for the money would be an IOR or the Cabela's Alaskan Guide Series.

Don't hunt. Mostly shoot 223/5.56 at 100 yards or less.......

A Nikon or Bushnell will do you a good job at less than 250 yards and are easy on the wallet. You might also want to buy some shoot and see targets to aid your spotting.

For .223 at 100yds you can probably get by with something like a Konus 20-60x80mm

Agreed, nothing fancy, most should work at a 100, last sat I was watching 3G here, IDPA targets and clear 223 holes with a small Nikon they had, dont remember what it was , but it was a tiny scope.

After much looking and comparing, ended up with a Meopta/Swaro/Vortex razor side by side, all 20x60x80 the Vortex was better than the Swaro, bought the Vortex, been realllllllly happy with it.

Would like to purchase a range scope to check my hits when sighting in a rifle. What should I look for in a scope? Is there such a thing as a favorite range scope ?

Any and all suggestions and recommendations will be greatly appreciated !

Go to Planet Optics,buy the

Celestron 20x80 Skymaster binoculars $126.

Buy a surveyor type tri pod for $65 or so at a Lowes type store. VERY IMPORTANT TO HAVE

A ROCK STEADY SUPPORT!!!

The secret is the 80 millimeter lens times two letting the light in.

You will see .22 bullet holes at 300 and more!

Cost, under $200 and better than anything but the very best of spotting scopes.

Your welcome