Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Johnson 3-Gun at Rocky Mountain 2012

Johnson 3-Gun at Rocky Mountain’s 2012 season will kick off on April 1 (no comments about the date) at 9:30.

Newbie briefing at 9am. Match fee is $30 for 5 stages of fire. We plan 2 this month out and about. We meet for registration at the pistol berms which is off the main road at Whittington! Registration opens at 9:30 as well.

Because of the RO clinic the day before, we’ll have a number of people helping RO throughout the day, so things may move along pretty quickly!

Hope to see you there!

Denise

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a reminder that the first Johnson 3gun of the season will be this Sun at Whittington. Hope to see everyone there.

Thanks for doing this.

We're on the road, but yeppers! This Sunday! See you there! We've got 5 great stages planned after the RO clinic on Saturday! :devil:

Denise

Wind didn't get as bad as expected for this match!

Sunny and warm!

Thanks to all of you who showed up and helped tear down!

Results have been sent out to our e-mail list!

Will try to get them posted on Johnson 3-Gun after we get home from Raton...My list of things to do... :surprise:

Denise

After the RO class on Sat and the match yesterday, I am flat bushed. Three gun matches are awesome fun, but I'm beginning to think it's a young man's game.

Thankyou JJ and Denise for taking the time to put on this match. You guys went straight there from Superstition and did all of the set up yourselves. I don't know where you find the energy, but you need a vacation from your vacation.

The match stages were excellent. You guys do a great job of providing the most diverse 3gun experience possible. The all shotgun stage was fantastic, utilizing natural terrain and a nice combination of static and moving targets, with the perfect round count to keep the hot dogs happy, while keeping things doable for the newer guys, who might not have the gear for extended shotgun stages. The long range rifle stage was excellent as well. It was fun to add in the running pistol portion and the use of a sling. The big 3gun stage was a full on carnival. With three texas stars on one stage (one for each gun), it was especially challenging and fun. I was surprised to see how quickly everyone was able to clear a 75yrd star with thier rifle. Even the iron sight guys burned it down very quickly. I'm really looking forward to see what evil plan you have for us next month.

After the RO class on Sat and the match yesterday, I am flat bushed. Three gun matches are awesome fun, but I'm beginning to think it's a young man's game.

Thankyou JJ and Denise for taking the time to put on this match. You guys went straight there from Superstition and did all of the set up yourselves. I don't know where you find the energy, but you need a vacation from your vacation.

The match stages were excellent. You guys do a great job of providing the most diverse 3gun experience possible. The all shotgun stage was fantastic, utilizing natural terrain and a nice combination of static and moving targets, with the perfect round count to keep the hot dogs happy, while keeping things doable for the newer guys, who might not have the gear for extended shotgun stages. The long range rifle stage was excellent as well. It was fun to add in the running pistol portion and the use of a sling. The big 3gun stage was a full on carnival. With three texas stars on one stage (one for each gun), it was especially challenging and fun. I was surprised to see how quickly everyone was able to clear a 75yrd star with thier rifle. Even the iron sight guys burned it down very quickly. I'm really looking forward to see what evil plan you have for us next month.

And we didn't even pay him for his review! :roflol:

Thanks to everyone who worked so hard running shooters and just being out there in the heat! It was over 80 in March, and if you think you were tired, you should see us two old folks!

Thanks again and see you next month!

Denise

• 1 month later...

"Local" match this Saturday, May 19.

Five stages...3 of them are not in berms to add a little excitement this month!

Bring a rifle sling. Bring 100 each rifle, pistol, birdshot and 10 slugs to be safe! (or more)

Pistol/Long rifle out to about 400 yards

Shotgun

Pistol/shotgun

3-Gun

Shotgun/Rifle

Newbie briefing at 0900, shooter's brieding should be ready to shoot by about 0930. Sign-ups from 0830 on.

If anyone is coming down Friday, let us know....JJ could use some help setting up! :blink:

See you then,

Denise

I am really looking forward to this months match. Last month's match was the best yet, with several national level stages. I'm a little late to the party, and am still figuring out 308 loads, but I'm gonna try and shoot heman this weekend.

I am really looking forward to this months match. Last month's match was the best yet, with several national level stages. I'm a little late to the party, and am still figuring out 308 loads, but I'm gonna try and shoot heman this weekend.

Are you shooting an M1A? Search M1A reload. Kurt Miller explains it. Bryan Ray is in a video that shows it well.

Well that referenced article I found in another thread, just explained why I've been having trouble with the cases being a bit tight in the chamber. Hmmm, this is starting to feel a lot like work! Now I really can't wait to get my LRP-07. Mid July simply won't get here fast enough. Reloading for M14s is a pain. Love the rifle, but surplus Nato just became a lot more inviting.

Just got home from yesterday's match!

Special thanks to JJ for setting up ALL the stages Friday with the help of Mike G and Tom C!

Thanks to Mike P, Scott W, and Craig C for finishing off the 2 berms stages on Saturday morning!

We tested out our new GT Windmill to get it ready for He-Man. It added some fun to an already hectic shotgun stage...Must make it go faster! :devil:

Anyway, thanks to everyone. First day it hasn't rained in the afternoon at the center for weeks!!!

With 3 out of berm stages, it was a long day, but a good time!

Thanks again to everyone for not shooting my liberal parents who came out to watch! :surprise:

Next club match, July 14. He-Man National Championship June 2-3.

See you at the range!!! Denise

Well that referenced article I found in another thread, just explained why I've been having trouble with the cases being a bit tight in the chamber. Hmmm, this is starting to feel a lot like work! Now I really can't wait to get my LRP-07. Mid July simply won't get here fast enough. Reloading for M14s is a pain. Love the rifle, but surplus Nato just became a lot more inviting.

i only use processed brass from a reputable brass processor. even then, i use a JP case checker on the cases BEFORE i load them. after loading, i recheck the cases in the case checker again. never had any problems with the ammo. the loose nut behind the trigger is a different problem altogether.

:cheers:

Oh I agree with the nut behind the trigger thing. The reloading problems are caused by me. Just a different learning curve than 223, and it's taking longer than I anticipated. Unfortunately, trial and error on 308 is very expensive. I decided to back the truck up, do more research and come at it again after the Big Johnson, armed with better tools and a better understanding of the process.

Thankyou JJ and Denise for an excellent match this weekend. The stages were really, really good. For those not willing to make the drive once in a while, you really are missing out.

• 1 month later...

This Saturday, July 14 is the next "local" match at the NRA Whittington Center in Raton!

We meet at the pistol berms. Newbie briefing 0845. We will try to be shooting by 0930.

We have 5 stages for you, 4 of them will be away from the berms.

All shotgun - 28 rounds birdshot - and we've got an exciting, never been seen before target ready to try out on you! :devil:

Turns out we'll have 3 - 2-gun stages (shotgun/rifle, shotgun/pistol, pistol/rifle)

All rifle - out to 400 yds at least

100 rounds of each: rifle, pistol - 75 birdshot and maybe bring 10 slugs.

Think it will be a lot of fun! $30. Sign up starts about 0830,

Come get some practice in for RM3G! :rolleyes:

Denise

Should be a really fun match this weekend. I'm really looking forward to it. Don't forget you locals... the Johnsons like to use the local matches to experiment for the big matches. You don't always know which ones to expect at the big match, but if you want to at least get exposed to some of the ideas it's good to run some of these smaller events. Like last year we shot that orange rubber ball in the local matches. Apprehensive about shooting slugs at distance? JJ will do his best to cure you of that at the local match where you have an opportunity to laugh at your mistakes. Not sure what your hold over looks like at 500-600yds? You'llfind out here. Never sat on a cactus before? It's been known to happen. :o