Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

" Clocking " a comp question

TBF

I have not tried this yet but the gist of what I hear is that the comp can be " clocked " to minimize side thrust, or torque, or whatever you want to call that pull to the right.

The current AWB says I have to pin and weld the comp.

That makes testing the theory and not being illegal two separate things.

If you were building a 1:9 20" AR iron sight upper, with a Miculek comp , where would you " clock " it ?

My experience has been with 12:00 comps only ( straight up and down ).

I could live with a 12:00 comp if I had to, but better is better.

And if I am going to put up with the noise , I want better.

Thanks in advance .

Travis F.

I am sure that I will get a bunch of people who disagree with this but I my micluk got loose one day and I didn't notice it when it moved but I did tighten it several times that day. You can get used to almost anything as long as it is consistant and flat. which that comp is. 12 o'clock will work good enough I have mine locked down at about 1:30 and it is straight back for me. If it seems like a big deal just wait until sept 14 (I Think) and move it all you want.

If you look at a "scoop" brake on an AK47, the brake is angled at about 45 degrees from vertical. The brake is held in place by a spring loaded pin that engages a notch in the brake. There is a notch to allow the brake to be positioned 45 to the left (for left-handed shooters) or 45 to the right, but not straight up. This is supposedly to counteract the gun's tendancy to recoil up and right (for a right handed shooter).

An AR15 exhibits less recoil than an AK. With most brakes, the recoil can be cut down to almost nothing. I have a JP "tank" brake on my AR, and I don't think indexing it would make much of a difference with this particular design.

However, I have a BP-Tech Venturi comp on a 9mm subgun. This comp has ports pointed upward only. I have tried shooting it with the comp straight up, and also with it indexed at about 2:00. I don't notice any difference in the recoil pattern when changing.

If you are really curious, you could find a buddy with a pre-ban gun and a thread-on brake and see if indexing the brake makes any difference.

I've got a JP "tank" break on my AR, it is set up neutral, and I have noticed that it thrusts to the right into my support hand slightly when I fire (i'm left handed). Is the break causing this? Anybody got a remedy for this I'm more than glad to listen... :D

JJ

Thanks Erik,

Change my stance, ok, I'll try that... but I have noticed it doing that thrusting to the right thing even on a bipod, would that make a difference?

In regards to that, maybe my grip on the pistol grip is causing it???

JJ

I will say that the torque to the right is not stance or grip related.

It is barrel twist related and would change "to torque to the left " if you had rifling in the opposite direction.

I hope the AWB dies on sept. 14 also.

Travis F.

Travis,

You are correct that torque is a result of the rifling, but recoil and stance do play a part in the whole process. Changing your stance will not stop the torque from developing, but it helps to manage or eliminate it's effects.

Erik

I have a Smith brake (front ports slightly angled with a ball end mill) with a vertical top port that probably shows effects of clocking a little better, rotated to the 1:30 or so position... not so much to counteract torque from rifling, but to offset the effect of the ejected case.....regards

Some compensators have ports in "all four" directions, so it doesn't matter which way the comp is oriented as theoretically the exhausts will cancel each other's forces.

One problem I see with "clocking" a compensator is that you're presupposing you will always be shooting it on the same side. For most uses, that's probably a safe bet, but I know I have times where I choose to shoot left handed. If my comp is clocked to counteract the torque for me as a righty, won't have the same affect on the left side. It will probably be manageable in any case with a good, solid hold, but it's something to consider.

Jerry just passed through the shop so I asked him where he likes to position his comp. He said 1:30 for a righty.

1:30 it is.

Thank you ! Very much !

And congrats to Jerry on his new world record !

Travis F.

I assume thats 1:30 looking at the muzzle from the front of the gun ?

Not from the shooters position .

That would be 1:30 as seen from the shooter's perspective, (this for a right-handed shooter). Think about it. The gun recoils up and to the right. So you index your ports up & right to counteract that recoil.