Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Crimson Trace Midnight 3 Gun Invitational

Ok, so 76 invitations went out in the first batch (77 if you figure the Mayor got two, but he is the Mayor). Of those about a dozen were adds to the list of 91 I sent Iain. I went down the list from the 2011 3GN season and pulled most of my folks. We added a few that we know are top notch 3 Gunners, but didn't have enough 3GN matches last year to make it in. Guys like Tate Moots, and Chris Sechiatano. There were some that got cut off the original list. Not sure why. Incurred the wrath of Crimson Trace, made too many kilt jokes about Iain in a dress. (I will add, my name was one that got cut. I wondered where my invite went.) On top of the "real competitor" invites there are also about 20(ish) media folks that will be coming and shooting. The main match is slated to hold about 80 (although Iain keeps trying to push that to 90-100). Staff match will be about 30. Total for the match should be about 110-130.

Jesse if you've never been to this part of Oregon before, believe me it is a great place to vacation. That's why the Holiday Inn Express wanted $199.00 a night during the match. Lots of outdoor stuff to do.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys, glad to see the response so far to the match. We're going out on a limb with this event and trying something new, so bear with us if it seems overly cautious in its first year. I'd much rather we did a bang-up job with a small number of shooters, than expand the match and risk disappointing those who put in the effort to travel to central Oregon. Next year, assuming all goes well, it'll be even better (and a bit bigger). Those of you who've done live fire at night at taxpayers expense know how difficult the easiest task becomes when our primary sense is degraded, which is why the NW Multigun Challenge serves as the left hand bookend for the event. Doug and Scott kindly agreed to move their competition over the mountains so that all the stages could be proven in the daytime before we took them over for the night match.

The first batch of invites went out last week and I know we left some folks off the list either through oversight or something as simple as not having a current address for you - if you feel you were omitted in error, let me know. Of course, it might not have been an error at all :)

I'll be driving things from Crimson Trace's end and Chuck has the thankless task of making the match actually happen. One of my objectives is to grow the sport that we all love, so I'll be riding herd over a fairly sizable contingent of writers & broadcasters, trying to ensure that 1. they don't screw up the match for everyone else and, 2. we spread the word to the 98% of gun owners who don't shoot competitively.

A lot of the manufacturers that live in the PNW are behind this event and are jazzed about hosting it in their back yard. If you've never engaged targets using FLIR kit, you're in for a treat, and if there's a chance we can avoid burning down the range, I have a line on some M72 LAW rockets for a side match. If you want gear, let me know. Crimson Trace will have a ton of loaner equipment available for installation in the 3 hours between sitting down for BBQ at the range and dropping the hammer, and there'll be a zero range to go sight in.

Cheers,

Iain

If you want gear, let me know. Crimson Trace will have a ton of loaner equipment available for installation in the 3 hours between sitting down for BBQ at the range and dropping the hammer, and there'll be a zero range to go sight in.

Cheers,

Iain

Um, I just want to borrow everything you are using in the match. :roflol:

Iain and Chuck, hats off to you, this is an awesome idea, that has been done at very low levels at the local or friendly level, but you guys are taking it to the moon!! :bow: Thanks in advance for all your time efforts and sacrifices you all are making to make it happen, look forward to seeing you there

jeff

Thanks to Chuck and Ian for taking the time to explain the selection criteria. Understandable logic. Sounds like it will be a kick in the butt. I am jealous, but then I'm an old fart and I doubt I could stay up that late.

Huge thanks to Iain for all of this... sounds like this is going to be a great match.

Now for a few stupid questions,

Does CT have a light or laser to fit a SVI / STI pistol?

What CT products are available for shotguns?

That is all for now until I think of more stupid stuff..

Thanks

Huge thanks to Iain for all of this... sounds like this is going to be a great match.

Now for a few stupid questions,

Does CT have a light or laser to fit a SVI / STI pistol?

What CT products are available for shotguns?

That is all for now until I think of more stupid stuff..

Thanks

For now they have the Railmaster laser. I've already got one I'm playing around with on my rifle. Neat little unit. Goes on any pic rail. I'll get another for my SG as soon as I get a piece of rail for it. For lights, not a lot. I know they are working on something but I doubt the 2011 platform will see much availble for a little while.

But when I say Open, I mean Open. I don't care if you bring 8 pistols, 3 rifles, 4 uppers, 6 shotguns and swap between them each stage. Feel free to change sighting equipment, lasers, lights, holsters, whatever you think gives you an advantage for the stage being shot.

I wanted to clarify this Chuck. The rules on the CTC site say "4.3 Participants must use the same firearms (handgun, rifle and shotgun) for the entire event." which contradicts what you said. There are other contradictions in Section 4 - Firearms. Can we please get clarification.

Edited by EmanP

But when I say Open, I mean Open. I don't care if you bring 8 pistols, 3 rifles, 4 uppers, 6 shotguns and swap between them each stage. Feel free to change sighting equipment, lasers, lights, holsters, whatever you think gives you an advantage for the stage being shot.

I wanted to clarify this Chuck. The rules on the CTC site say "4.3 Participants must use the same firearms (handgun, rifle and shotgun) for the entire event." which contradicts what you said. There are other contradictions in Section 4 - Firearms. Can we please get clarification.

Just a mistake left over from gutting the rules. I sent a version with 4.3-4.4 removed to Iain for posting this morning.

Met with Iain at Crimson Trace today. Everything is shaping up great. We'll be putting a second round of invitations out April 15. The match will open to anyone who can register quick enough on May 15 if there are any spots left open. I know there have been a bunch of tire kickers who keep talking about signing up but don't. Here's the bad news. When the match fills, it's full. Invitation or not, you're not getting in. If you've got that invitation (I finally badgered Iain out of mine today) get registered. The prize table at this match is going to be incredible. It's shaping up to be an awesome event. Don't be sitting around wishing you went while your buddies did.

• 2 weeks later...

FNH have jumped into the mix with one of these as a stage gun, and FLIR will be putting this on top of it.

Spent an hour or two last week with Travis Gibson trying different target presentations in the dark. I'm pretty happy with what we came up with. Shouldn't be any problem hitting the long targets. For your guns we won't go past about 150 yards or so. Although we might go longer with one of the stage guns. But reaching out to distance won't be any problem with that one.

FNH have jumped into the mix with one of these as a stage gun, and FLIR will be putting this on top of it.

Spent an hour or two last week with Travis Gibson trying different target presentations in the dark. I'm pretty happy with what we came up with. Shouldn't be any problem hitting the long targets. For your guns we won't go past about 150 yards or so. Although we might go longer with one of the stage guns. But reaching out to distance won't be any problem with that one.

Very cool!!!

Is there a limit on illumination devices on our person/weapons?