Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Muzzle angle

Vlad

I was practicing draws this morning, and I noticed something I always did but I never bothered to investigate. When I draw, the strong hand is angled towards the weak side and the muzzle is pointing about 30 degrees towards the weak side and then I start pointing forwards as my weak hand comes into the grip and both my wrists bend at about the same angle.

My question is, should I start bending my strong wrist before my two hands join and try to be pointing towards the target from the earlier parts of the draw or should I leave it alone? It seems that the way I'm doing it is more natural when it comes to body angles, but pointing the muzzle the right way at all the steps would allow for a faster sight picture. Besides, even though I do not think that I ever came close to the 180 by doing that, the spectre of it now worries me a bit.

What do you think?

Vlad

I have noticed the same thing. I don't plan on making any changes, but I can say that if I don't get a good grip with my weak hand, my shots will tend to be to that side of the target (left side in my case).

Removing wasted motion is always a good thing. I also do this somewhat, but am working on cutting back just because it's both extra motion and if the weak hand is late, my dot comes sliding in from the right somewhere instead of being front-and-center where it should be.

It won't keep you from 0.7 draws, but it might affect consistency.

I'll throw this out again...

I look to get my weak-hand on the gun sooner than most. I don't let it wait for my strong hand to bring the gun to the middle of the body.

I try to get the weak hand on the gun as soon as I can after "clearing leather".

This means my weak hand goes toward the holster at the beep...not to the center of the body...and, it does not move in sync. with my strong hand.

Benefits:

- more time to get the weak hand on the gun

- more time to establish the grip

- the sooner the grip is done, the sooner I can move to the "next thing"

- helps with consistency

- if I can get my weak-hand grip established sooner, that frees up my strong-hand grip so that I can relax it enough for good trigger control

Cons:

- you gotta burn it in during practice...might take some work

YMMV

I shall preface my remarks by first stating that my draw blows chunks.

My results are similar to Flex's. For whatever reason, focusing on getting my support hand nearer to my gun on the draw (actually touching what would be my belt buckle) results in a faster draw and a better index.

Watch the top guys, several do it the way you described, several bring the weakhand to the gun, both are effective, so if it ain't broke...

What matters most is it works for you and you trust your draw. If you can't get a consistant grip, try tweaking it, but if you do get a good grip then it ain't broke. You will round everything off anyway when it comes down to it. Everybody is made a little different, for some getting the weak hand over makes sense, for some it doesn't.

The difference is not measurable on the timer, it is a matter of comfort and consistency.

Vlad,

Imagine two points (or positions): a. Your index's final position (with gun), and b. The gun, just as the front sight has just cleared the holster. Now in position b, imagine there is a rope coming out of the muzzle and passing through a small loop, which is exactly where your gun's muzzle will be when the gun reaches your final index. Now imagine someone pulling the rope quickly from point b to point a. Ideally, that's the path your gun should take on its journey from the holster to your index, and your body's job is to get both hands consistently in position during that time.

Hope that made sense... (and actually addressed your question) ;)

be

Actually Brian, as always you make perfect sense. After reading the other posts, last night I was paying close attention and indeed when my draw feels smooth it is almost like my muzzle is being pulled towards the target, but not in a straight line, it follow a bit of a curve. Which means that my muzzle starts pointing left but it follows a shallow curve and end up pointing at the target.

I also noticed that to be smooth the muzzle should never pass the centerline of my body. By that I mean the muzzle can be pointed left for a part of the draw but the curve it describes should become tangential to a plane that passes through my nose and bellybutton, if you know what I mean.

I have to think about this a bit more. Thank you all

Vlad

Do you think any of the muzzle angle has to do with where your holster sits? It was very popular for some time to get the gun around to the front of your body and I always wondered why add the inside out motion. Nate