Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I think I did a number on this one....

I just started reloading (atleast trying to get started) 22 :mellow: 3 on my Rl550b and had got a brass casing stuck... :angry2: Here is what I did, I in stalled the shell plate like you would normally do I do beleave I didn't set the paperclip thinggy rightop for starters. I then dialed down my Dillon sizing die(kiss the shell plate then back out the die a half turn. I then backed out the copper looking bolt on too of sizer(believe it's the stuck case remover). I did that cause I thought maybe it might crush the casing. I thought I had it close to being dialed in pulled the handle down felt hard on the down stroke and when I brought the handle up it pulled out from the shell plate... And thats how I got here, I tried to unscrew the bolt ontop of sizer (stuck case remover) but it seems to not want to come apart. How do I get the case out? Thanks in advance.. :blush:

post-24363-0-07929800-1330785791_thumb.j

post-24363-0-54188900-1330785884_thumb.j

post-24363-0-18676800-1330785957_thumb.j

Edited by MARKAVELI

Dillon instructions: "In the event of a stuck case, the design of the depriming assembly allows it to function as a stuck-case remover. Simply remove the silver clip, loosen the stem lock nut and then spin it up to the top of the stem. With a wrench, turn the depriming assembly into the die. "Clockwise turns will loosen the stuck case. Use pliers to remove the case from the depriming assembly." You need to tighten the top not back it out.

Good luck. :cheers:

Edited by Youngeyes

it did use lube, but might have picked up one that was not. Since I backed the stuck die bolt back I cant get it to screw it back down. It just turns and it won't catch by the thread's I see metal powdery like shavings coming from the top of die and I also see powder like shavings coming from a small tiny hole from the side of the die. I'll try freezing it.

Edited by MARKAVELI

http://gunwiki.net/Gunwiki/ProcTapStuckCaseFromDie

I see a 1/4" X20 tap in your future, with a matching drill bit.

You can probably use a socket and a fender washer (with a 1/4X20 bolt) as a spacer. I've also heard that a coupler/coupling for metal electrical conduit works well too.

depending on the press, like if it is a single stage, (after having done the freezer trick first) screw the die in upside down into the press, drill and tap the flashhole, unscrew the die, downward so that the headstamp is slightly below flush of the top of the press, place fender washer over headstamp, screw bolt into threaded flashhole, then unscrew the die (downward) out of the press.

i make it a point to squirt WD40 onto a Q-tip and then swirl that around inside the resizing die at the start of every reloading session, and then when I take a break between every 100 primers.

Another method that I've used successfully:

Completely remove the decap/expander assembly. Use a long punch to reach down into the case from the top of the die. Give it a few whacks and it will come right out.

I never really had success with stuck case removers of any sort (plus, they took FOREVER to use) nor the ubiquitous "grab it with Vise-Grips" trick, so I re-invented the wheel...

Edited by Braxton1

If brute force isn't working you are just not using enough. I had more than a couple stick in a lee die, a nice one pound shop hammer and long flat punch works first hit every time when swung with sufficient force. I put the die in a vise. A good time for accuracy!

RCBS makes a slick package for stuck cases. It has a 1/4 tap, a 7/32 drill bit and a cup like thing that fits over the back of the case/die. After backing the expander rod as far away from the base of the case as you can, chuck your die up in a vise. Then drill the primer pocket out with the 7/32 bit, tap the case with the 1/4 x 20 tap, and use the cup and bolt provided to back the case out. Never had a case that I couldn't get out. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/504741/rcbs-stuck-case-remover

Edited by Ray_Z

Been there, done that! Called Dillon they informed me I shouldn't have unscrewed the top bolt, just screw it down to push the case out. Too late now, sent it back to Dillon and of coarse they fixed it.

Took a few days was geting frustrated, I backed te die to far out. I did call Dillon and told me to send it in. so I will see what happens , thanks fellas.