Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

need my first semi auto shot gun

It all depends on what division you want to shoot in. look the rules for the shotgun in each division so you know it will be legal. Don't do what I did and buy an S-12 that automatically put me in Open class. Good luck

I checked several models in the non Benelli and SLP market, and by far the choice was the Mossberg 930. I did manage to get mine from Cheaper Than Dirt, but the price has gone up and they are out of stock. I bought the black turkey model, keep in mind you must cover the ports on the 24 inch barrel if you do not want to be put in the Open class. Use some stell shims to cover the ports under the mag/barrel clamp.

With all of the necessary options added, plus getting the loading gate welding up, I invested about $650, and it shoots great. Welding the lifter is a must, I tried speedloading having not done so, and it did it's best to chew my thumbnail off.

I run an SLP and found it a great value, but the new Mossberg 930 Miculek signature 3gun shotty looks pretty dope and is inexpensive to boot. I haven't held one, but it looks like Mossberg pulled out the stops on that beast. The feature set is impressive and they're investing in it's stong future by signing some serious tallent as well. Flannigan and Miculek are both signed factory shooters, running that platform and I'm pretty sure Daniel Horner is currently running one also. If I were just getting in and on a budget, I'd certainly give the new Mossberg a serious look.

I have a mossberg I put together with the new 24" non ported barrel. I have about 300 rounds through it without one hiccup. If you can wait the jm 930 will be ready to go for somewhere probably between 600 to 700 steet price. Should be out in stores in a couple months.

I put mine together with a 28", which i traded the unfired barrel for a 24" non ported then spent about a 100 on a nordic tube, bolt handle extension and a clamp. Also picked up the gun for only 400 over the holidays from CTD. So not including extended choke I got fully running for 500. And a little time with the dremel.

Edited by sdm74

Go to gun broker. Buy a Benelli M1 Super 90(-not the tactical-)field model in 26" or less barrel length. If you look constantly, or call the vendors, you will be able to get something in the 600-900 dollar range. Las Vegas has some really awesome pawn shops that have great guns for sale, too. Gas guns are good, but heavy, and they need more cleaning per practice shooting than inertia guns. DVC

I have been running a Mossy for a couple of years now. I picked up a used home defense for $329 that had hardly been shot. Added a Choate extension and bolt handle for $60 or so. Only problem with this option is the 18" Cyl barrel with a bead sight. It can be threaded for chokes or replaced with a different barrel direct from Mossberg.

Best option would be to wait for the JM Series to hit the streets - weld up the lifter and go have fun!

Thanks for all the responses. After reading your comments and looking into the mossberg 930 I think that is the way I will go. When is the JM model coming out? what price? Could I do it cheaper by buying a 930 waterfowl and making the mods to run tac optics? Anyone have one already set up that they want to sell?

Thanks Jeremy

You could build one, but it will cost at least as much as a JM will cost, if not more, once they are available. We have been holding our collective breath for the new one for a while now. There is at least a model number now. Read the big 930 thread and you will know as much as anyone else.

If you can't wait, you might look at a CZ 712 Utility. They are supposed to be about the same gun as an FNH SLP, but much cheaper. Main thing is, they are available now.

My Mossberg 930...

Initial cost>>>$440.00 Mossberg waterfowl 28" barrel / ported 3 chokes. Could have been cheaper by $20.00, but did not want to wait.

Gunsmith to cut barrel to 24",thread for chokes reattach front sight>>>$100.00, another $86.00 for the Nordic component +5 extended mag.

For roughly $630.00 good to go. YMMV

Unless you have a major coming up, I would wait for the 930JM. I don't see me leaving the SLP, but I will probably get one once the are available with no wait. Realize that even if you mod a 930, it won't have the hard-chromed internals that the 930JM is supposed to have.

Is that price at buds for under 600 for the JM 930? If I go to my local dealer what price should I expect to pay for the JM 930?

Here it is: Bud's 930JM

I expect they are going to be in the $600 to $650 range at a local shop. Dealers have to eat too.

Will buds guns honor that price of 549 if you get on a waiting list or are they going to change the price after they see what they get it for. I have never delt with them before but hear they are a good company.

Will buds guns honor that price of 549 if you get on a waiting list or are they going to change the price after they see what they get it for. I have never delt with them before but hear they are a good company.

I have no idea.

Thanks for all the answers. I am going to call buds in the morning and see if I can get on the list for one at that price. If they do sell it for 549 that will be a great deal. The msrp on mossbergs sight is 710. Dont tell buds but I would be willing to pay 650. Cant wait!

Thanks again to all who commented Jeremy

Unless you have a major coming up, I would wait for the 930JM. I don't see me leaving the SLP, but I will probably get one once the are available with no wait. Realize that even if you mod a 930, it won't have the hard-chromed internals that the 930JM is supposed to have.

I read this and blacked out! Next thing i know some guy is beating on my chest yelling "Get the paddles!". Can it be Mark actually told someone to buy a Mossy?

JK - He knows a deal when he sees it.

I would wait for a JM.

Go to gun broker. Buy a Benelli M1 Super 90(-not the tactical-)field model in 26" or less barrel length. If you look constantly, or call the vendors, you will be able to get something in the 600-900 dollar range. Las Vegas has some really awesome pawn shops that have great guns for sale, too. Gas guns are good, but heavy, and they need more cleaning per practice shooting than inertia guns. DVC

This! :cheers: