Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 problem at station one

Loading 9mm I am have in problem with the case jamming like in the picture attached in about 1 out of 10 rounds. I have all the correct feed bushings and parts installed and station 1 is adapter #5. Adapter #5 looks to be I good shape, press is on a strong mount and on a very solid bench.... this is starting to drive me nuts.

Any idea?

4c309909.jpg

Problem with calling is I am never at home when they are open :blush: It happens with all different headstamps, it is dropping in a little crooked and the rim is setting in the grove down the middle if of the plate and the other side of the rim catches and jams on the slot area of the plate. I do have the small bushing in the feed assembly. I have tried taking the adapter and debur it and have polished it but it has not helped at all.

Edited by bmgm37

I'd also love to know the cause of this. I have the same issue in .40 S&W once about or twice every 100 rounds. It's not as dramatic as the picture, but just enough to hang the brass up and not feed into station 1. Issue cropped up about 4 months ago, which made me think cam spring or adjustment.

Happens on different headstamps. Looked for media stuck anywhere in the assembly. Cleaned the assembly. Lubed the tracks where the cam slides back and forth. Replaced the cam spring. Tried adjustments. I've made sure there no burrs on the aluminum ramp, and polished it as well.

Since it popped up fairly recently on a three-year old press, I'm sure it is either an adjustment, worn part or worn-out spring. Something that normal maintenance would take care of. Just not sure where to focus the attention.

Be sure the rails that the case plunger slide on are greased, as well as the inclined ramp that the rod slides on. The station one locator should be greased on the underside, as this helps to dampen vibration. Double check that you have the small aluminum case feed bushing, and a green bushing in the pivoting arm. Make sure the pivoting arm when the handle is down is lined up and centered over the small body bushing. If the angled cam on top of the case feed plunger is too far forward, then the case is dropping from too high, and can land like your photo shows.

• 2 weeks later...

@bmgm37

Did you fix your problem? I found your thread while searching for an answer to my exact same issue! I have a new to me 650 that I'm trying to load 9mm on... So far I can't get it adjusted right.

@dillon

Thanks for the tips, I'll try all of those before I call you tomorrow.

It's a real bummer, I bought this press used from a guy in Arkansas, and after all the missing parts I've ordered, I could have bought it NEW... I can't believe some people who don't take care of such a wonderful machine...

Good news... Fixed my problem. It was the result of a new 650 owner. When I received the press from the previous owner, the station 1 locator was in backwards, so i thought that it how it goes.. Nevertheless, when you flip it around in the correct position, all works great!

I'm happy to have the press running. Thanks to my issues, I've taken the entire press apart, cleaned, oiled and put it back together. I think it's gonna run like a top now. I'm still amazed at how someone can have such a great as a dillon and not take care of it..

Oh well, Happy loading all!

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Be sure the rails that the case plunger slide on are greased, as well as the inclined ramp that the rod slides on. The station one locator should be greased on the underside, as this helps to dampen vibration. Double check that you have the small aluminum case feed bushing, and a green bushing in the pivoting arm. Make sure the pivoting arm when the handle is down is lined up and centered over the small body bushing. If the angled cam on top of the case feed plunger is too far forward, then the case is dropping from too high, and can land like your photo shows.

First I have heard of greasing the station locator. Going to try that as I have also had problems with mine. Thanks.