Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock trigger?

sbpt1911

Hi all,

I ordered a Zev tech spring kit and a Zev Tech z4 race connector for my soon to be new glock 34 gen 4.

I thought I would start out with a simple(inexpensive) trigger job using what I ordered, and a bit of polishing. Am I missing out by not getting a full drop in trigger? I looked at glocktriggers "edge" or "challenger" kits- I also looked at the Zev ultimate drop in fulcrum trigger with lightened striker.

I'm sure these guys make great triggers, but I also read a lot if good things about basic home glock trigger jobs.

What are your thoughts?

Edited by sbpt1911

I would go with that for now, that's what I did, At the point now I have a full tuned trigger but I learned how it works did it myself.

Those parts and a good polish job will go a long way, and won't need the full kits unless you want to spend the money.

I have done exactly what you are looking to do with my Open Glocks 17's. A guy who shoots at our club bought one the the "ultimate" type trigger kits for his Glock 17L.

I fitted it for him.

I compared it to my guns and in MY opinion I found it to be well................."disappointing" for the money he spent.

I would caution against installing the light striker spring with the standard striker............I got like strikes with S+B and CCI primers, we can't get Federal here.

I have the Skimmer.

No it isn't cheap. You're paying for gunsmith time and the experimentation they went through to get it right.

I wasn't really interested in learning how to work on my trigger or trying different spring combinations so I just bought the drop in.

I also wanted to stay Stock Service Pistol so I got the Skimmer

No regrets. Took 10 minutes (I went slow).

Other benefit is I can get it back exactly as it was in another 10 minutes.

I started doing the same thing you did, bought a bunch of parts, did a bunch of polishing, tweaked a few things, but could never get a consistent trigger across several pistols and that was very frustrating for me. Tried a Glocktriggers.com "Edge" after Jeff spent an hour on the phone talking to me about the effort that goes into making sure every trigger is not only amazing, but as close to identical as possible and have not looked back. I'm waiting on my fourth to arrive from CPWSA right now.

CM

I tried one of his kits. Then I had some discussions with Jeff about some concerns I had, especially with the pre travel reduction kits.

I don't like the Glock connector, no matter how much it's polished. It's a good drop in, but I can do it cheaper. I use a combination of parts that I've found yield a good feel, reset and consistency between guns.

For shooters that don't have Glocksmith access, it's a great choice.

I have the Skimmer.

No it isn't cheap. You're paying for gunsmith time and the experimentation they went through to get it right.

I wasn't really interested in learning how to work on my trigger or trying different spring combinations so I just bought the drop in.

I also wanted to stay Stock Service Pistol so I got the Skimmer

No regrets. Took 10 minutes (I went slow).

Other benefit is I can get it back exactly as it was in another 10 minutes.

From what I understand this makes external mods to the trigger pad and safety and therefore is not legal for Stock Service Pistol division. I haven't seen this kit myself, so I could be wrong but I believe they had to trim the safety and move the trigger connection hole making external mods.

I just got the Vogel and is it ever nice. Pricey but my glock trigger is nice and smooth and 2.5lb pull. and I still have the 4.0 firing pin spring to try. Have put about 300 rnds thru it so far and it has worked perfectly. It is production and IDPA legal.

I just got the Vogel and is it ever nice. Pricey but my glock trigger is nice and smooth and 2.5lb pull. and I still have the 4.0 firing pin spring to try. Have put about 300 rnds thru it so far and it has worked perfectly. It is production and IDPA legal.

What did you use and how did you measure trigger pull?

I have the Vogel in my Production/SSP gun. With my Timney Trigger Tension scale, I get consistent 2.75#s trigger readings with the 4.5 firing pin spring from the bottom of the trigger, closer to 3.5 #s on the mid to upper portion of the trigger. It is noticeably better than the stock triggers. I had a very good $.25 trigger job on my guns. I experimented with stock connectors, Ghost Rocket and Ultimate connectors, lots of polishing, but never got close to how these feel. The vogel may not be much lighter, but it feels better and more crisp.

As a comparison, my Zev Ultimate Trigger in my Limited gun measures 2.5#s and 3.5#s at the same locations...

There are things that I like about each trigger system. I really like the trigger face on the Zev - nice, wide, feels "substantial", however, it is also ever so slightly mushy (Still much crisper than my own trigger jobs, but the little bit of pretravel left just feels different). I have not messed around with it, so it is "as it came" from the factory. The Vogel has a very good, crisp feeling and reset. However, it uses a stock trigger, so, it feels like a glock (kind of narrow and plastic)... I do not steer the gun with the zev trigger, but occasionally do with the stock and vogel triggers.

The Vogel had the normal pretravel and take up. The Zev has very little pretravel.. maybe 1/16th of an inch, and then it is ready to fire.

I do not "ride the reset", I am very much a "slapper". The Zev definetly has its advantages to me...

Some day soon I need to get a Vanek trigger just so I can make a "head to head" comparison.

...I purchased the Challenger kit from Glocktriggers.com for my 4th Gen G17.

With the kit installed, the safety plunger polished and stock Glock striker and safety plunger springs, I get a 4.5lb trigger with considerable less take up and overtravel. I never bothered to readjust the internal overtravel stop, the trigger was great as it was right out of the box.

Really happy with it.

Edited by Chuck D

It is difficult to get a good reading on my trigger pull gauge. What I did was put the gauge right at the bottom of the glock trigger and let it ride along the trigger guard. Probably not the most accurate way but I get between 2.5 and 2.75 everytime. You still have the long takeup, but after she drops those sights do not move. I tried polishing everything but could not get anyway near the feel of this trigger.