Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Purchase Check on Hornady Lock-N-Load Progressive

hmp32

So, I am about to pull the trigger on a press order and if I can find the hornady shell #8 (9mm luger) shell plate in stock somewhere this is what I am ordering from Nnatchezss:

1. Hornady Lock-N-Load Press: $389.99

2. Shell Plate #45: $28.49 (for .45ACP)

3. LNL-Die Bushings 10pk: 40.85

4. RCBS Lockout Die: 50.86

5. 5.5oz Gun Cleaning Spray: 6.69

6. 5.5oz Case Lube (to try): 6.69

It comes to about $575 shipped not including wherever I have to buy the 9mm shell plate...

I already have tumbler, scale, calipers, case gauges, Dillon scale, pickup tubes (for dillon but figure they will work with the LNL), Lee Dies for .45 & 9mm, manuals, etc.

Anyway, is my list missing anything specific to the LNL that I need to get a basic setup going? My decision basically came down to the XL650 or the LnL. The LnL appears perfectly usable without getting a case feeder right away. The XL650 seemed to really need that to be usable. Also, from what I have seen, the powder system on the LnL seems slight more usable than Dillon's. I had a SQB with the charge bar system + Mr. Dial and it was okay but not stellar.

Thanks.

Oh, and no trashing products. Dillon and Hornady each make fine products each with pros and cons. The ultimate pro vs. con is my wallet, however.

Edited by hmp32

If you are using the RCBS lockout die (like I'm doing), you will either need to add a Hornady powder-through expander die (PTX) for caliber (or get the Powderfunnels.com universal expander), or seat and crimp in the same die, otherwise you'll run out of stations.

A set of Hornady or Forster lock rings (if you don't already have them) will also help save a bit of frustration when adjusting.

If you're loading different powders or bullet types, an extra pistol rotor metering insert or two can save time when changing settings (I have one for N320, one for Titegroup, and another set for my 45 ACP loads). Hope this helps - I love my LNL setup!

Edited by William Ching

If you are using the RCBS lockout die (like I'm doing), you will either need to add a Hornady powder-through expander die (PTX) for caliber (or get the Powderfunnels.com universal expander), or seat and crimp in the same die, otherwise you'll run out of stations.

A set of Hornady or Forster lock rings (if you don't already have them) will also help save a bit of frustration when adjusting.

If you're loading different powders or bullet types, an extra pistol rotor metering insert or two can save time when changing settings (I have one for N320, one for Titegroup, and another set for my 45 ACP loads). Hope this helps - I love my LNL setup!

Thanks for pointing that out.

However, it seems like the 9mm shell plate, the PTX is out of stock. Is that a normal condition of Hornady parts?

Some spare case retainer springs can be usefully but not necessary.

If you seat and crimp at the same time on the last station you can get away with out the PTX. An option is the MK-1 eyeball to check powder charges. Its really hard to double charge a case (you have to double stroke the press to do that) and unless you run out of powder, the case will get a charge. I have the powder check die and stopped using it because of the time to adjust / readjust as you change powders or calibers. The LNL is open enough that with a good work light close by you can easily see into the case before you add a bullet.

I've enjoyed using my LNL, I think you will too.

However, it seems like the 9mm shell plate, the PTX is out of stock. Is that a normal condition of Hornady parts?

Certain parts are extremely popular and are the first to run out of stock at retailers, namely anything for 9mm or 45acp; Americas 2 favorite centerfire pistol calibers!

Anyways, i have an extra, new-version .355 PTX that i mistakenly bought with my 9mm bullet feeder die (the die actually comes with one, i just didn't know that at the time). you can have it for what i paid for it from midway.

I would also add in a 3-pack of shell plate springs to your order. They eventually wear out, stretch or get damaged from handling and loading.

Get a package of the Hornady lock rings too. They are the absolute best and beat the set-screw type, hands down!

I always recommend the micrometer meter insert for the powder measure. I load several calibers on my press and can easily and instantly adjust to all my settings. Plus, it makes load development easier since you cna dial in changes in a very controlled manner, then go back to a previous setting with no fuss.

Anyway, is my list missing anything specific to the LNL that I need to get a basic setup going? My decision basically came down to the XL650 or the LnL. The LnL appears perfectly usable without getting a case feeder right away. The XL650 seemed to really need that to be usable. Also, from what I have seen, the powder system on the LnL seems slight more usable than Dillon's. I had a SQB with the charge bar system + Mr. Dial and it was okay but not stellar.

Thanks.

Oh, and no trashing products. Dillon and Hornady each make fine products each with pros and cons. The ultimate pro vs. con is my wallet, however.

I think your list is basically complete - the LnL will come with one small and one large pickup tube anyway BTW. I've never tried using the Dillon tubes on the LnL because I had previously bought a pile of the Hornady tubes and I use those on both my Hornady and my Dillon. I'm guessing they would work fine. As far as the parts thing, it is a problem sometimes - I've had issues where warranty parts replacement on the LnL has taken weeks because even Hornady doesn't have them.

Given your statement above re the LnL vs the XL650 I wanted to weigh in as someone who has loaded on a LnL AP for the last several years (later adding the case feeder and bullet feeder) and recently purchased an XL650. Why did I buy a second press? I had a single stage for one-off load development etc so I didn't have to disturb the progressive, and I wanted another progressive so I could have a way to do higher-volume stuff on one progressive without disturbing the other one. I could've bought another LnL AP but I decided this was an opportunity to see how the other half lived.

I think the LnL is a good machine and certain aspects of it are really nice relative to the XL650. The bushing system is extremely versatile and makes it easy to slap in part of a die set if you want to do split progressive work on rifle calibers etc. You can do that on the 650 but it means either pulling and replacing dies (and losing settings in the process) or having dedicated dies and toolplates for such operations. The LnL is more flexible in this regard.

The other area where I prefer the LnL overall is the primer system - changing from small to large is easily accomplished and more importantly the system will not feed another primer if the one in the slide doesn't get used. The 650 uses a wheel that always advances and if something gets off you wind up with primers in a little slide where they need to be collected and put back in the primer tube.

I have only two frustrations with the LnL primer system: First, the primer is inserted by a plunger which pushes the primer up because it hits a spot on the aluminum frame that forces it upward. Over time this will wear a divot in the aluminum and primers will no longer get seated completely. This can be worked around by securing a metal washer over the divot but it just seems like a chintzy system to me. Second, the plunger has really tight tolerances and is vulnerable to a flake of powder or debris getting under it when it's extended up to seat a primer. The debris keeps it from returning to its full down position and it is then in the way of the primer slide moving backward on the next downstroke of the handle, jamming up the whole works on the next handle downstroke. Sometimes this can be fixed by shooting compressed air into the "gully" under the plunger to blow out the debris, but often one has to raise the press ram slightly, remove the primer plunger using a box wrench and then disassemble it to clean it out.

My biggest frustration with the LnL (and the reason I'm writing all this) is that I feel its case feeder system is subpar compared to the 650 and for that reason I think the 650 is a better foundation if you think you will ever get a case feeder. Without going into too much detail the 650 uses specific parts for each caliber that do not require adjustment (although a camming pin on the press does need to be adjusted when changing calibers). Once the parts for a caliber are installed, the case is positively captured by either its rim or extractor groove and guided directly into the shellplate. Short of landing in the casefeed tube upside-down, if it is possible for the case to get out of position between the drop tube and the shellplate I've never seen it and I'm not sure how it could happen.

The LnL by comparison uses relatively few parts for all pistol/rifle calibers it supports. Like the 650 there are small/large plates for both pistol and rifle, but the LnL also uses small/large plastic tubes to hold the stack of cases, small/large aluminum tubes that sit above the feeder arm, different drop tubes that guide the next piece of brass onto the feeder track and six different V-shaped blocks that push the brass along the track and into the shellplate. Because there are relatively few parts for all pistol and rifle calibers, more adjustment is necessary. For example, the aluminum tubes are threaded and must be adjusted up and down relative to the height of the case in order to feed one and only one case. The process is trial and error to a certain extent although you get better at it over time. Sometimes however you simply can't make it work - I drove myself crazy trying to get .40 cases to feed right and in the end Hornady fixed it by sending me a custom tube that was the upper half of a large tube and the bottom half of a small tube. I'm convinced that the parts in the box will not work for that particular caliber.

Then the proper V-block must be chosen. While the manual has some general recommendations as to what V-block to use for what caliber, I've found that often a different V-block works better than the one they recommend, which makes is another trial and error situation. Sometimes adjusting the timing of the case slide by moving the guide wire up and down is required, and there are times when the best one can do is get the case mostly pushed into the shellplate, because further adjustment causes the case to hit the edge of the shellplate before it's indexed into position. Often this works because the retainer spring will push the case into place as the plate indexes, but sometimes the case pops out instead and gets smashed between the ram and the top of the press.

Finally the track on which the V-block pushes the case is just a flat plane of metal. This works OK most of the time but it means that depending on the case diameter relative to the tube diameter the brass can drop within a fairly large area on that plane. The V-block can usually capture it and guide it back to center, but sometimes the brass falls far enough that the V-block pushes it off the track entirely. Other times the brass will just bounce off the track and hit the ground before the V-block touches it.

I'm going into all of this detail just to describe the fundamental design differences here. Hornady went with a much less controlled system that uses fewer parts but requires a lot more adjustment. That makes caliber changes cheaper (on the 650 the caliber-specific parts are an extra cost and are required) but overall in my experience the Hornady casefeed system will never run with the reliability of the 650 system no matter how carefully you adjust it.

I still really like the LnL overall and I will certainly be keeping it. If you never plan on getting a case feeder I think a LnL AP is a great press and the versatility of the bushing system would probably make me recommend it over the 650 in that instance. If you do plan on getting a case feeder one day however I would strongly encourage you to consider the 650.

I know that a lot of red vs. blue discussions turn into flamewars and I hope nobody thinks I've done any trashing of either system. As I said I own both, I use both and I think each has their good points and bad points. I welcome questions or feedback on all this.

Andy

Andy,

Thank you very much for the extended reply and analysis. Your response contains the useful kind of pros and cons.

I certainly want to get a case feeder and eventually a bullet feeder.

My first concern with the XL650 is it seems significantly less usable without a case feeder.

And there are other circumstances where I see this as an issue:

1. My budget Feb. Budget won't allow for a case feeder for either LnL nor the XL650. It will be at least until the end of March.

2. If the case feeder breaks for either system, the LnL from my studies (thanks to Gavin on http://ultimatereloader.com for all his videos).

3. I don't want to depend on power. I have analog calipers and a balance scale so I don't have to worry about anything other than muscle.

As an analogy, I have battery powered mice and keyboards and they work great until 1am in the morning when the batteries go out and I either don't have them recharged or I am out of consumable ones. It's why I am like the idea of the RCBS Lock-Out Die better than Dillon's solution. The primer warning system, similarly, can be worked around if the battery in the buzzer is dead with a piece of tape.

Anyway, these are the nuances of my thoughts... that and parts & spares availability are of concern (I was not shooting during the Primers shortage, but I see it was a real problem too).

I have all the components I need for load development (Samples of Precision Delta 147, 115, 124gr FMJ and 124gr JHP), 4# Titegroup and 10K of SP primers. I just want to leave the Lee Turret Press in retirement and I don't have the SQB any longer. I do want to reuse the 4-die Deluxe Sets in .45 and 9mm that I already own.

So, if you (or anyone else) has usability insight to the XL650 without a case-feeder, I may be inclined to change my mind.

Edited by hmp32

Just to be clear the Dillon comes with the case feeder, Dillon incorrectly calls the collator (case feeder, feeder) the case feed.

This is one reason the base 650 costs more than the LNL and the LNL case feed and collator costs more than the Dillon. Also why the Dillon has less problems than the LNL, it's not an add on.

As far as the Dillon not being useable, before I had a collator on mine I made an extra long tube that would hold 25 cases and had preloaded pvc tubes (just like the primer tubes) that I could instantly add another 25. Not really that much extra work on 45 if you do it while culling out small primer brass.

In any case all you have to do is drop a case into the feed tube, still faster than loading it into the shell plate.

Just to be clear the Dillon comes with the case feeder, Dillon incorrectly calls the collator (case feeder, feeder) the case feed.

This is one reason the base 650 costs more than the LNL and the LNL case feed and collator costs more than the Dillon. Also why the Dillon has less problems than the LNL, it's not an add on.

As far as the Dillon not being useable, before I had a collator on mine I made an extra long tube that would hold 25 cases and had preloaded pvc tubes (just like the primer tubes) that I could instantly add another 25. Not really that much extra work on 45 if you do it while culling out small primer brass.

In any case all you have to do is drop a case into the feed tube, still faster than loading it into the shell plate.

Thanks for the distinction. Yes, I meant the collator. But wondered if setting up PVC tubes for 9 & 45 would work.

Also, yes, I am aware Federal is going to SP for .45 brass :(

I just got my LNL AP up and running a few weeks ago. I just upgraded from a Lee turret press. Here are the issues I've had so far:

1. With 9mm I had trouble with the cases tilting and hitting the resizing die. It was so bad it was almost unusable. I tried a new shell plate and it got about 75% better. I was using Lee dies and I guess the chamfer on the Lee resizing die is pretty small. I switched to a Dillon resizing die and even with my original plate the problem is about 95% fixed.

2. The EZ-Ject hangs up. I had the most trouble with 9mm. I found taking a sharpening stone and polishing the sharp edges off it pretty much got rid of this problem.

3. Index timing was off. This required a small adjustment of the pawls at the bottom of the press. Super easy to do and the instructions were very clear.

4. LNL bushings come loose. If you tighten everything with a wrench no problem.

5. Case activated powder drop doesn't flare the case. You can buy inserts to do this but I really don't understand why it's not included in the kit. Right now I'm using the powder drop from my Lee press until I order the part.

6. Primer shuttle has to stay clean or it gets hung up. Usually happens after you forget to prime a case and dump powder all over the shell plate.

7. Shell plate needs to stay tight, but not too tight. Too loose you have eject problems, too tight you have eject problems.

It's a long list but most of this stuff is no big deal. Most of my problems happened with 9mm. .45 seemed pretty flawless. It's just something about the smaller case that seemed a little more touchy. Even with all the issues I've had I can load so much faster than my old press. Not trying real hard with no case or bullet feeder I've been loading about 300-400/hr. Good luck!

Andy,

Thank you very much for the extended reply and analysis. Your response contains the useful kind of pros and cons.

I certainly want to get a case feeder and eventually a bullet feeder.

My first concern with the XL650 is it seems significantly less usable without a case feeder.

And there are other circumstances where I see this as an issue:

1. My budget Feb. Budget won't allow for a case feeder for either LnL nor the XL650. It will be at least until the end of March.

2. If the case feeder breaks for either system, the LnL from my studies (thanks to Gavin on http://ultimatereloader.com for all his videos).

3. I don't want to depend on power. I have analog calipers and a balance scale so I don't have to worry about anything other than muscle.

As an analogy, I have battery powered mice and keyboards and they work great until 1am in the morning when the batteries go out and I either don't have them recharged or I am out of consumable ones. It's why I am like the idea of the RCBS Lock-Out Die better than Dillon's solution. The primer warning system, similarly, can be worked around if the battery in the buzzer is dead with a piece of tape.

Anyway, these are the nuances of my thoughts... that and parts & spares availability are of concern (I was not shooting during the Primers shortage, but I see it was a real problem too).

I have all the components I need for load development (Samples of Precision Delta 147, 115, 124gr FMJ and 124gr JHP), 4# Titegroup and 10K of SP primers. I just want to leave the Lee Turret Press in retirement and I don't have the SQB any longer. I do want to reuse the 4-die Deluxe Sets in .45 and 9mm that I already own.

So, if you (or anyone else) has usability insight to the XL650 without a case-feeder, I may be inclined to change my mind.

I ordered my 650 with a case feeder and didn't pay attention to what came with what. However I believe jmorris is correct - if you look at the 650 manual (which can be downloaded from Dillon's web site or BE's Dillon info pages) it shows that if you don't order the case feeder you wind up with the long plastic tube sticking up from the press. You can feed a number of cases (with pistol cases I'm guessing 20 or so?) into the tube all at once and then load 15-20 rounds before loading more cases. The only concern would be if you let the tube run dry and wound up missing a slot in the case feeder - that would cause a primer to get skipped and you would then need to load it back into the tube. The LnL by comparison has you feeding a case as well as seating a bullet between handle pulls.

I wouldn't view the 650 as significantly less usable without a case feeder - you have to keep the tube full manually, but even with a case feeder you have to stop ever so often and dump more brass in the top. It's an open question whether it's quicker to grab a piece of brass from a nearby container and insert it on every round with the Hornady vs. pausing to drop a bunch of brass in the 650 tube and then not worry about brass for the next 15-20 rounds. If you're only talking about waiting until the late March timeframe to get the case feeder you won't be dealing with either scenario for very long, and I still recommend the Dillon for your situation.

One more thing I didn't mention before - I'm really surprised how quiet the 650 casefeeder is compared to the Hornady. The Hornady is annoyingly loud but I just figured that's the way casefeeders were. Then I got the 650 and was shocked at how quietly it went about its business.

Andy

I just got my LNL AP up and running a few weeks ago. I just upgraded from a Lee turret press. Here are the issues I've had so far:

1. With 9mm I had trouble with the cases tilting and hitting the resizing die. It was so bad it was almost unusable. I tried a new shell plate and it got about 75% better. I was using Lee dies and I guess the chamfer on the Lee resizing die is pretty small. I switched to a Dillon resizing die and even with my original plate the problem is about 95% fixed.

2. The EZ-Ject hangs up. I had the most trouble with 9mm. I found taking a sharpening stone and polishing the sharp edges off it pretty much got rid of this problem.

3. Index timing was off. This required a small adjustment of the pawls at the bottom of the press. Super easy to do and the instructions were very clear.

FYI I had similar problems with my 9mm plate but found that the problem was I was tightening the plate too tightly. I reset it and only tightened slightly harder than finger tight and no more problems at all. The EZ-Ject works 100% and no more cases tilting.

FYI I had similar problems with my 9mm plate but found that the problem was I was tightening the plate too tightly. I reset it and only tightened slightly harder than finger tight and no more problems at all. The EZ-Ject works 100% and no more cases tilting.

EX-Ject comes standard with the current AP Presses, correct? Also, I found Cabela's had the Shell Plate #8 in stock and the RCBS Lock-Out Die with a 10 dollar rebate... so, tomorrow, I will order the press assuming confirmation from Cabela's that the shell plate gets sent.

9mm and Hornady case feeder and their horrible slider is a bad combination. Just wanted to warn you. Get the 650. It's useable with out the casefeeder. And if you want a casefeeder the LnL is likely to drive you nuts with tipped cases in 9mm. I feel compelled to warn you despite how this is going to look to others. I went from a 550 to a LnL to a 650. The LnL was a nightmare with 9mm and the casefeeder. It couldn't load 50 rds with out a problem.

9mm and Hornady case feeder and their horrible slider is a bad combination. Just wanted to warn you. Get the 650. It's useable with out the casefeeder. And if you want a casefeeder the LnL is likely to drive you nuts with tipped cases in 9mm. I feel compelled to warn you despite how this is going to look to others. I went from a 550 to a LnL to a 650. The LnL was a nightmare with 9mm and the casefeeder. It couldn't load 50 rds with out a problem.

Thanks! I am aware of the complaints regarding 9mm... the resolution seems to be the Shell Plate. I am not above fiddling though either... I fiddle lots and lots with the Lee Classic Turret Press, I fiddle some (but not near as much) with the SQB. Ultimately, I decided to take the risk with the LnL, in part, because I feel the Powder system is much better than the Lee or Dillon system. I use flake powders sometimes, I the bar dispenser was annoying. After studying people's comments and the excellent videos at ultimatereloader.com, this is my informed decision :) Oh, and I bought the universal funnel from PowderFunnels.com :)

The 650 is NOT usable without the case feeder. You have to release the handle and use your right hand to put a case the "feeder" by either standing up and filling the case feed tube (which means, if you load while sitting, you have to keep standing up and filling the tube) or you have to keep reaching back to put a case in the feeder.

The Hornady, without a case feeder, is a dream in terms of ergonomics. I have no idea why the 9mm cases should be a problem, unless they have really dinged up rims.

However, I never felt a need for a case feeder in the over 30 years that I have used a Hornady progressive.

As I always recommend, if you are really convinced you NEED a case feeder and the additional cost of toolheads and caliber conversion units doesn't put you off, get the 650--but, again, ONLY with the case feeder.

I have used a 650 with and without a case feeder (I told my friend after he got his to go get the case feeder as it was truly a pain to operate without) and I would still buy the Hornady. The only Dillon press I really like is the 1051. Currently, I have three and my son has my L-N-L.

My main complaint about reloading presses is the inability to try several before you buy.

If my 1050s hadn't all come with a couple of Dillon powder measures, I would be using the Hornady powder measures and my three Dillons.

I am the type of reloader who likes to try different dies, and the Hornady, with the inexpensive bushings, is perfect for pulling out one die and inserting another. If you do not think that you will ever try various die combinations, then the standard lock rings and a tool head will be more than adequate.

Remember, at this level of investment, you don't not want to simply get what someone else thinks is perfect for their reloading, but what will satisfy you and be a pleasure to work with.

I had fewer primer feed problems with Hornady than my 1050s and, if I had to go to just one press, I would buy another L-N-L. It is just so much easier and "open" (more room between dies and it just seems less compact and constricted than the 650). It was very easy to teach my son to reload on he is cranking out a lot of 9x19, .380 Auot, and .45 ACP now.

Note: he never showed any interest in reloading while he was growing up--he just enjoyed shooting all the rounds I could load.

It's the case feeder that is a nightmare. Case bouncing off the slider area is just the start of the nightmare trying to get them into the shell plate. Tipping as they go over the spring is the next pleasure. After that it hangs up as it goes into the shell plate. Not every time. But my 650 never ever does that stuff.

EX-Ject comes standard with the current AP Presses, correct? Also, I found Cabela's had the Shell Plate #8 in stock and the RCBS Lock-Out Die with a 10 dollar rebate... so, tomorrow, I will order the press assuming confirmation from Cabela's that the shell plate gets sent.

Ez-ject is standard on the new presses. From what I've read online about the LNL and seen first hand, most problems are related to the shell plates or the base plate the shell plate rides on. You'll see when you get the press. The fit and finish of all the casting and machined parts is not great. If you take a knife sharpening stone and polish a few things it will run better. Pretty much anything machined to a sharp edge, just take the edge off. Shell plate tightness is pretty critical. Like others have posted, too tight is bad and too loose is bad. Maybe 1/4 turn past finger tight I'm guessing or maybe even a little less.

The case tipping problem with 9mm and the case feeder I seen get resolved with a new shell plate. Some of the plates I guess are beveled too much and they don't push the retainer spring down low enough for the shell to slide over it. The result is the case tips when it hits the spring. This reloader is not perfect, but it's not bad either.

Edited by Yoder

• 3 weeks later...

I have an LNL-AP. I've used RCBS, Dillon and Hornady dies in it, no problems.

Take some fine grit wet/dry sandpaper and polish the primer shuttles before you use them. The priming system is sensitive to any fouling with powder flakes, old primer residue, dirt, grit, etc. I got into the habit of cleaning it out every couple hundred rounds.

I heartily endorse your decision to buy the RCBS Lockout Die. If you use a four die set, though, you do have to use the PTX for expansion to make a station for it. I've had pretty good luck with the PTX in 9mm and .45 ACP. I didn't like it as much with .38 Special so I went back to using an expander die. If you use a PTX get the bracket that mounts on the powder measure to help fine tune the adjustment, especially if you load lead bullets.

I added a casefeeder to mine after about six months. It is a little fiddly especially with certain calibers (the manual mentions .357 Magnum and I've read about issues with .40 S&W. For me it worked really well with .45 ACP; I'd give it a B+ with .38 Special as I get the occasional double drop. Have not tried the casefeeder with 9mm as I've not purchased the small size feed plate.

Good news is that the press works well when new but even better when it wears in a bit.

Oh, I also started putting a little One Shot Case Lube on my cases even with carbide dies; it does run more smoothly.