Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help me find a kit gun

Joe4d

been searching for a camping, trail riding (horse) back country gun. Would like it to have a good trigger, single action prefered. say 4 ish or longer barrel for an auto, 3 inch for a revolver, decent sights, fairly compact under 20 oz, 2" accurate out to 25 yards, prefer 22 magnum, 9mm, 40, 45, 44 mag/special. 38/357 would be ok although I am not set up to load for it.

Guns I have considered but never shot are the PMR 30, at one time S&W listed a 3" Jframe lightweight. taurus has some light frames but only snubbies. I didnt like the trigger on the Kahr couldnt ever hit anything with it. I have a commander 1911 lwt but its a bit heavy.

good trigger decent sights, compact under 20 oz, 2" accurate out to 25 yards,

That sounds like a tall order to have a very light, accurate gun.

First that comes to mind is a lightweight S & W revolver (.22 or .38)

with adjustable sights. Don't they have one named "Kit Gun"?

Good luck,

Jack

• 3 weeks later...

good trigger decent sights, compact under 20 oz, 2" accurate out to 25 yards,

That sounds like a tall order to have a very light, accurate gun.

First that comes to mind is a lightweight S & W revolver (.22 or .38)

with adjustable sights. Don't they have one named "Kit Gun"?

Good luck,

Jack

By "kit gun" I thought he meant a handgun that comes with accessories to make it competition ready. Then the XDM 4.25 comes to mind, since it comes with an extra mag, a double plastic mag pouch, a holster and interchangeable grips (still not sure about the usability of the last one) for a good price.

Otherwise the definition given here is very wide.

I own or have owned about 6 or 7 firearms that fit the description of either a revolver or a semi-auto, 22, 38, 9mm, 40, 357, 44 or 45, which shoots bullets to 25 yards.

So I would say either a Browning Buckmark, a 1911 or an Glock 17 fit the description provided. All very similar.

Note that small revolvers of 3-inch are not accurate to 25 yards.

Did I sound sarcastic? Hope I did not.

• 3 weeks later...

a kit gun is a lightweight backpacking gun you throw in your "kit". Its an older term. S&W used to make them basically it is a J frame with a longer barrel. Most old timers would know exactly what I was talking about with the term. Now all the guns that size currently listed are all steel. They used to make an alloy 38 model 360 with a 3 inch barrel. Now they paint em black call it the M&P edition and doubled the price.

Nicveraz, you mentioned 7 or 8 guns you owned that fit the description ? Which models ?

I dont know of any 1911's under 20 oz, a bukmark is a 22 lr, Glock 17 is a full size gun and I am assumning up around 30 oz or so. Gonna keep my eyes open for a older 360 I guess. I dont see why a 3" model wouldnt be accurate enough to fit my needs.

A Smith Kit Gun was the short name for ".22/32 Kit Gun" or "Model of 1953 .22/32 Kit Gun" or even "1955 .22/32 Kit Gun Airweight". They were I frame .22s with 4 inch barrels. Some had 2 inch but they were rare. There original Kit Gun was made from 1946-1952. Then it became the Model of 1953. The model of 1955 Kit Gun was built on the J-frame. Kit Gun was the name of the Gun. That was when Smith gave their guns cool names like Combat Masterpiece, Target Masterpiece, Chiefs Special,and The Highway Patrolman. In 1957 they dropped all the names and gave the guns model numbers. The Kit Guns became the model 34 and the model 43.

Smith still lists a 317 J frame. It has a 3 inch barrel and fiber optic front sight. The last time I was in my LGS I held one. So I am pretty sure they are still being made. You might have to call around to find one or get on an auction site.

Edited by leas327

For years I packed an old Charter Arms Target Bulldog .357 when

hiking/prospecting. 4", 5 shot 357, adjustable sights,

17 oz. IIRC. They actually made more of them in 44 special

than 357.

I was under the impression the Kit guns were 38's, live an learn I have seen the 317's they are pretty nice wish I could get one in 22 magnum, the 22 mags only come in snub nosed. I know at one time there was a basic model j frame airweight with adjustable sights and longer barrel. kinda over the gun building, was hoping I was missing a gun model I hadnt thought of. Gonna wait on the next big show see what I can stumble into. Any one done any accuracy or trigger work with a full size Kahr 9mm ?

I had some time so I got out my “Standard catalog of Smith & Wesson” and found some models they have made that might fit what you are looking for. All of these have been discontinued so they will have to be found on the used market.

These are older steel guns and probably heavier than you like.

Model 48: k frame, blued steel, .22 mag, 36oz. 4in. product code 101902 1984-86

Model 50: j frame, adj. sights , .38 spec., 36-1 is a 3 in version and only 213 made in 1975

Model 51: j frame, .22 mag, blue or nickel, 3 ½ in. adj. sights, 1960-74

These are all newer and made of Smiths wonder metal Scandium and/or Titanium.

Model 337Ti: j frame, Airlight Ti, 38+p, 337-1 (1999-01) 3.2 in. barrel w/target sights, 11.9 oz., product code 103054, 337-2 (2002-04) same as 337-1 but with internal lock, product code 163054

Model 360sc: j frame, Airlight Sc, .357 mag, 3 1/8 barrel w/ hi viz target sight, 360-1 (2001-2005) 14.5 oz., product code 163067FC

Model 386sc: “Mountain Lite”, L frame, Airlight Sc, 7 shot .357, 3 1/8 barrel w/ hi viz target sights product codes 163687FC (2001-2003) and 163687FC (2004-2006) 18.5 oz

Model 396Ti: “Mountain Lite”, L frame, Airlight Ti, 5 shot .44 special, 3 1/8 barrel w/ hi viz target sights, 18 oz.(2001-05) product codes 103688FC and 163688FC

If it were me I would get one of the L frames. It doesn’t seem you are too worried about concealment. They are light but large enough that it won’t be punishment to shoot. If I picked up the 14.5 oz. .357 j frame it would probably only get one cylinder of magnums run through it. Just enough to remind me never to do that again.