Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which scope mounts?

actionshooter

I have a Swaro Z6i 1-6 coming my way next week and I don't have a mount lined up yet. What would people recomend? I do have a PEPR but I think I would like to go with a QD as I will be switching between heavy and TO depending on the match.

:cheers:

Larue LT104

Pat

It doesnt sound like you really need a QD mount. If you are going to be switching it at home or on a tailgate, I would pick a non QD mount.

I have used NF and JP Unimounts. The NF (1.375") has 20 MOA built into it and with an 86 in/lb torque wrench, it is quick to put on/take off and is very repeatable/solid. The only drawback is the cost ($250) and its a 2 point clamp.

I really like JP mounts, they are a little taller at 1.5" but the clamping mechanism allows bridging the receiver/handguard gap if you need to move the scope forward. Again, a 39 in/lb torque wrench -> easy on/off and very repeatable. Another nice feature of the JP mount is there are no exposed nuts to snag on gear or clothing. The JP is only $170.

Edited by Ragnar

It doesnt sound like you really need a QD mount. If you are going to be switching it at home or on a tailgate, I would pick a non QD mount.

I have used NF and JP Unimounts. The NF (1.375") has 20 MOA built into it and with an 86 in/lb torque wrench, it is quick to put on/take off and is very repeatable/solid. The only drawback is the cost ($250) and its a 2 point clamp.

I really like JP mounts, they are a little taller at 1.5" but the clamping mechanism allows bridging the receiver/handguard gap if you need to move the scope forward. Again, a 39 in/lb torque wrench -> easy on/off and very repeatable. Another nice feature of the JP mount is there are no exposed nuts to snag on gear or clothing. The JP is only $170.

I much prefer QD as you can remove the scope when cleaning your gun and if your scope goes down you can replace it in the match with a back up that has already been sighted in for your gun. I don't run non QD mounts on my AR's

Pat

I have the GG&G FLT. It's 5.5 ounces which is lighter than Larue lt-104 at 7 ounces. I also like the fact that it the bottom half of the rings are the mount vs the way Larue's rings clam shell around the scope and the mount. I do like Larue's machined in picatinny lugs, but I prefer GG&G's QR Mechanism.

Here's a good page for your perusal.

I much prefer QD as you can remove the scope when cleaning your gun and if your scope goes down you can replace it in the match with a back up that has already been sighted in for your gun. I don't run non QD mounts on my AR's

Pat

You can do the same with a "non-QD" mount. Simply replace finger with proper wrench. I dont see the benefit of QD mount unless you are in a real hurry to swap out an optic. If your optic breaks during a match, it is not like you are going to swap it out while on the clock. Likely, you will do it on your tailgate with your tool box (same for removing the optic while cleaning the rifle).

I have not done extensive testing but I don't see how the average QD mount can be as secure/repeatable as a "non-QD" mount. I will sacrifice the inconvenience of using a tool for the added confidence that nothing on the QD mechanism will work its way loose.

Edited by Ragnar

Pat

You can do the same with a "non-QD" mount. Simply replace finger with proper wrench. I dont see the benefit of QD mount unless you are in a real hurry to swap out an optic. If your optic breaks during a match, it is not like you are going to swap it out while on the clock. Likely, you will do it on your tailgate with your tool box (same for removing the optic while cleaning the rifle).

I have not done extensive testing but I don't see how the average QD mount can be as secure/repeatable as a "non-QD" mount. I will sacrifice the inconvenience of using a tool for the added confidence that nothing on the QD mechanism will work its way loose.

With a non QD mount you will not return to zero when you remount the optic. Its next to impossible to tighten the bolts to the exact same specs as when you took them off. A CQ mount will return you to the same point every time. (Larue will anyway)I have done testing with Larue mounts to see if they return to zero and they do. Nothing to work loose they are bullet proof.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

I just picked up the Burris P.E.P.R. 30mm mount for my new Swaro and man is it nice. Came with two set of top caps...one set smooth and one set has picatinny rails on them to mount a small red dot sight if needed. I used the smooth tops. And the mount feels good and solid, with forward mount of scope for good eye relief. Also about 1 inch above main rail so it gives good cheek plant and scope view with heads up. It's not a QD version, but I really didn't want one...only plan to use the one scope/sight on my AR.

Best thing about it was the price...it was only $80 including S&H. I got it from Chris Patty at CPWSA.com