Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sight Trackers

RangerTrace

Thanks to the weather, I've had a hard time getting many rounds down the pipe of my new 4.5" 9mm Sight Tracker. So today, I decided to shoot it at the steel match at the Dallas Pistol Club. I could list all of the reasons why I had a shitty match, but let's just say I've had better performances. However, when I finished up my last stage, instead of emptying my magazines, I loaded all of them to capacity and headed to an empty bay, just to get another 100 rounds through the gun. I'm so glad I did.....

I shot all of them at an 8" plate at 30', pretty much as fast as I could see the sights. The really amazing thing was, I COULD SEE MY FRONT SIGHT through the entire firing cycle on each and every round :cheers: It's the first time (to that degree) that has ever happened to me!!

I love my 6" 40S&W Limited gun, but this experience has inspired me to change my current build to a 5.4" Sight Tracker.... :devil:

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've shot many 6" guns and to be honest, the only real advantage I can find is sight radius on harder shots. Once the 6" slide has been lightened up, the recoil impulse is pretty close to the same as a 5". I think the sight tracker barrel by itself is a better enhancement than going 6". I'll do a 5" sight tracker top end on my current frame and call it good. Besides, it will be difficult to keep a 6" light if you have to have a bull barrel with an island to add weight back in where it was removed from the slide. People will have to flute the barrel to get the weight down which adds even more to the cost of an already expensive build.

You saw the light Trace !

I experienced the same things while training for the WorldShoot in 2008.

I was shooting side by side my sight trackers and a "regular" pistol.

I said to myself, something is weird with the "regular" pistol :wacko: . Then I shot a couple of drills with the sight tracker, went back to the "regular" and then I understood what was going on.

I could keep track of my front sight during recoil, giving me the feeling of more control and more consistency in the transitions and the sight recovery time.

I remember back in the day (22+ years ago) when comp guns had the front sight mounted on the compensator. The first thing you noticed was how easily you could track the front sight compared to a regular gun, add the extra sight radius and they are a lot of fun to shoot. I do find it a bit humorous that 20 years later limited gun are now pretty much the same as those (pre Open division) guns just without the porting.

I am waiting for my own sight tracker in .40 caliber (will have gotten it by May I hope, just in time for my retirement)

I currently shoot a Sig P226 Sport II SL in 9mm. That gun is on the heavy side, especially top heavy, but I always liked that I am able to track the front sight as it sits on the top of the barrel weight and hence does not recoil with the slide.

I am getting the SVI because:

- I can get it in .40, so will be shooting major rather than minor;

- it is single action rather than DA/SA like the Sig, which is a Standard Division gun anyway (not on Production list);

- it has a lighter and crisper trigger pull than the Sig;

- it is very well balanced;

- I wanted to offer myself a nice retirement present :devil:

I am waiting for my own sight tracker in .40 caliber (will have gotten it by May I hope, just in time for my retirement)

I currently shoot a Sig P226 Sport II SL in 9mm. That gun is on the heavy side, especially top heavy, but I always liked that I am able to track the front sight as it sits on the top of the barrel weight and hence does not recoil with the slide.

I am getting the SVI because:

- I can get it in .40, so will be shooting major rather than minor;

- it is single action rather than DA/SA like the Sig, which is a Standard Division gun anyway (not on Production list);

- it has a lighter and crisper trigger pull than the Sig;

- it is very well balanced;

- I wanted to offer myself a nice retirement present :devil:

Congrats on retiring, and that's an awesome gift!

Trace,

Get back in line. Mine was the first 5.4 ordered in a Sight Tracker configeration in .40 so I could shoot it in IPSC (Canada)Standard Division and back here in the states in 2013 when they become legal for limited. Brandon thought I was nuts at first when I asked him to change my order to a Sight Tracker barrel, but I think he will change his mind when builds it for me (no more for you........play with what you have for a while) I totally get it when you say you can see the sight the whole time. I have been shooting my single stack a bunch lately but when I get out the sight tracker it seems like everything is so different-the sight doesn't seem to move at all and the slide/recoil effect is in slow motion and non existant in comparison to my single stack which uses the same ammo as the wide body sight tracker. Now if only the rest of my skills could catch up to the gun, right?

I hate the fact that you have some local mojo pull over Brandon that gets your stuff done in record time....but you make up for it by being a nice guy with a dangerous job-thank you for your service my friend. Be safe out there.

Roy

Trace,

Get back in line. Mine was the first 5.4 ordered in a Sight Tracker configeration in .40 so I could shoot it in IPSC (Canada)Standard Division and back here in the states in 2013 when they become legal for limited. Brandon thought I was nuts at first when I asked him to change my order to a Sight Tracker barrel, but I think he will change his mind when builds it for me (no more for you........play with what you have for a while) I totally get it when you say you can see the sight the whole time. I have been shooting my single stack a bunch lately but when I get out the sight tracker it seems like everything is so different-the sight doesn't seem to move at all and the slide/recoil effect is in slow motion and non existant in comparison to my single stack which uses the same ammo as the wide body sight tracker. Now if only the rest of my skills could catch up to the gun, right?

I hate the fact that you have some local mojo pull over Brandon that gets your stuff done in record time....but you make up for it by being a nice guy with a dangerous job-thank you for your service my friend. Be safe out there.

Roy

Wait, so have you received your 5.4 Sight Tracker yet? Pics? Videos?

Have not recieved it yet.....still waiting....and waiting. Trust me, when I get it, you'll know......I think you'll hear the scream of the overjoyed little kid on Christmas morning all over the midwest when it comes. And then the moans of jealous will start and be laughed upon!!!!!!!!!!

That is if Trace can ever leave Brandon alone to work on someone else's gun (That would be Mine, Trace!!!!!!!)

I have no idea what it is going to look like as this is something you just have to trust Brandon with. He knows the drill for my stuff. Must have bling, bling for the bang, bang since the gun will reside in the Detroit area and go back and forth to Canada and other area's of IPSC. It's serial # is Wicked 0ne.........couldn't think of a better description of it on the spot when he asked what I wanted for a serial number. When I get it, find me at a match and ask to see/shoot it as that is what it is there for. Happy to let you have a go with it.

Now I am just depressed thinking about my new pistol.....and not having it yet. Thanks.....................R

That is a nice bedell. Do u like the swenson ambi safeties?

I really like the Swenson safeties no thumb drag on the slide and I find them very useful when having to transition from strong hand to weak hand and Dan does a great job of getting them fitted.

I totally get it when you say you can see the sight the whole time.

Why? What's so different about a Sight Tracker?

The front sight is on the front of the barrel instead of the slide. So instead of having to track the sight up/down and backward/forward, you only have to track it up/down. I've shot them before, but never enough to really see what was happening. It was a real "ahaa" moment for me!

It's not something which will turn a C shooter into a B. If however, you are always running on the hairy edge of front sight tracking, it's a nice enhancement. It makes it easier to see the front sight through it's entire recoil cycle. The easier it is to see, the fast you can go. In addition, as my eyes get older, they work slower. It takes a little longer for me to obtain hard focus for the tougher shots, than it used to. With the front sight staying in the same focul plane, it helps overcome.

Have not recieved it yet.....still waiting....and waiting. Trust me, when I get it, you'll know......I think you'll hear the scream of the overjoyed little kid on Christmas morning all over the midwest when it comes. And then the moans of jealous will start and be laughed upon!!!!!!!!!!

That is if Trace can ever leave Brandon alone to work on someone else's gun (That would be Mine, Trace!!!!!!!)

I have no idea what it is going to look like as this is something you just have to trust Brandon with. He knows the drill for my stuff. Must have bling, bling for the bang, bang since the gun will reside in the Detroit area and go back and forth to Canada and other area's of IPSC. It's serial # is Wicked 0ne.........couldn't think of a better description of it on the spot when he asked what I wanted for a serial number. When I get it, find me at a match and ask to see/shoot it as that is what it is there for. Happy to let you have a go with it.

Now I am just depressed thinking about my new pistol.....and not having it yet. Thanks.....................R

I'm planning on working at the factory on Thursday.....I'll see if I can spot your box 'O parts :sight:

I'm planning on working at the factory on Thursday.....I'll see if I can spot your box 'O parts :sight:

I remember the first time I spoke to Brandon on the phone, I said something like, "Trace is a shooting buddy of mine, and I sure like his pistol. I'm not sure if you know who I'm talking about, but..." Brandon cut me off and said, "Trace? Yeah, I know him. He's standing right next to me!"

• 3 weeks later...

Trace,

Leave my box o'parts alone...I'm not sure where your hands have been and if they should be touching my new baby!!!!!I have heard through the grapvine that all I am waiting on is the frame itself and the barrel and slide are allready done, so the easy part is last. Then onto assembly............the funny thing is that I have no idea what it is going to look like. Just trusting Brandon (not a bad thing mind you) to come up with something interesting. Kinda cool to realize that this will be the first 5.4 Sight Tracker. Best part is that I have at least two majors this year (possibly 3) where it will be legal to use as they are IPSC match's so as long as it fits the box, I am good to go. Now if only my skills can measure up to the gun itself. Hope Brandon is still selling some GM mojo to go along with the gun..........

R

I have a buddy that has a 9mm, 6" sight tracker (STI Parts built by Derek J)he is selling, this thread is really making me want to call him about it. I really don't need a Limited Steel gun.... Dangit!!!

wg

Edited by Wild Gene

Trace,

Leave my box o'parts alone...I'm not sure where your hands have been and if they should be touching my new baby!!!!!I have heard through the grapvine that all I am waiting on is the frame itself and the barrel and slide are allready done, so the easy part is last. Then onto assembly............the funny thing is that I have no idea what it is going to look like. Just trusting Brandon (not a bad thing mind you) to come up with something interesting. Kinda cool to realize that this will be the first 5.4 Sight Tracker. Best part is that I have at least two majors this year (possibly 3) where it will be legal to use as they are IPSC match's so as long as it fits the box, I am good to go. Now if only my skills can measure up to the gun itself. Hope Brandon is still selling some GM mojo to go along with the gun..........

R

Oh, that might have been the frame that I accidentally dropped on Saturday......you can hardly notice the bend in the frame :roflol: