Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Les Baer Concept 3 .45

JKSNIPER

Got a line on a Les Baer Concept 3 pistol in .45 cal. being offered for sale by a local gun shop.

I'm told that it's the original owner selling it and it has a "low round count" and he's selling the pistol due to financial problems.

He wants $1575 for it.

I checked online and a new one goes for $1910.

I asked for more info on what low round count means and for the shop to send me pics of it. The owner is a friend and I trust him to not try to sell me a crappy pistol but it's still fifteen hundred bucks I'd be spending.

Opinions anyone?

JK

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got a line on a Les Baer Concept 3 pistol in .45 cal. being offered for sale by a local gun shop.

I'm told that it's the original owner selling it and it has a "low round count" and he's selling the pistol due to financial problems.

He wants $1575 for it.

I checked online and a new one goes for $1910.

I asked for more info on what low round count means and for the shop to send me pics of it. The owner is a friend and I trust him to not try to sell me a crappy pistol but it's still fifteen hundred bucks I'd be spending.

Opinions anyone?

JK

It is a financially sound deal if that is what you are asking. If you want it, buy it and be happy. :cheers: I have a PMII I would not part with for love nor money.

Gun shop owner just sent me some pics of it. The visible wear leads me to believe that the "low round count" may be a relative thing as in ten seconds is a short time...unless you have your hand on a hot stove.

Waiting for more info from him.

JK

To get some context on pricing, give Crazy John a call - his website is here - Crazy John - but you will need to call him for pricing. He is one of the largest Baer distributors and can give you an idea of real "street" pricing for the model you are considering. As with most things, the street price will often be considerably less than the MSRP quoted on a manufacturers website. You can then make an educated analysis of how much of a discount from the new price makes sense to you given the wear on the gun. Good luck to you, it's hard to go wrong with a Baer. One of the best bangs for the buck in the semi-custom world.

I'm a die hard les baer guy... Only because there was a used one on GunBroker listed as "Silver color, fiber optic sights, scratched but not damaged, $875"

I bought it in an instant after hearing about the quality. It turned out to be a concept V stainless, made in 2000 I have to say it was someone's USPSA/IDPA pistol because it was scuffed from holster wear, but mechanically perfect. I have put thousands and thousands of rounds through it since I got it 2 years ago, and I still need the bushing wrench to take it apart. I ended up bragging about it and finding the original owner on 1911forums.com (which is great for gear talk, btw) and he told me about it, how it was only powder puff loads, etc. It's an amazing gun, they are known for being perfectly fit but not overly well finished. Personally, that's what I care about.

All I did to make it fully competition ready was a Dawson magwell and my preferred grips, but it has been flawless for me. I went from U, to D, to high C all last year, and should make A or higher with it this year. I won a SS match with it this weekend, and plan on doing that the rest of the season.

I know that you will not be disappointed. All Les's guns are guarenteed to make a 3" group or better at 50 yards, and the blued ones can come with a 1.5 inch at 50 yards guarantee. Call Les with the Serial number and find out which it is. I can regularly hit a clay pigeon at 75-100 yards with mine. my only problem is I can't ever blame the gun if I don't hit that A zone

I thought Les offered a lifetime warranty on his guns if they were not modified by someone else.

I know a few guys that shoot his stuff. Very well made and extremely accurate.

Again if the gun has not been modified Les will up the accuracy for you.

I would have purchased a Baer except I could not rack the slide without pressing the front end to break it loose. I am a wimp!

Are they that tight fitting that you can't operate them by hand

After a couple thousand rds. they are just right...

Tough call on the price, about $200 more for new.

I'd go for new, but thats just me.

Maybe you can get him to come down some more?...

Yeah limited 10 ....I sent the gunshot owner another e-mail saying I could get a new one for the $1620+$50 shipping which is probably close to what $1425 + sales tax here will cost me.

I also asked him for the guys definition of "low round count".

Some guys here would consider 10,000 rounds a low round count and others would consider a couple hundred to be a low round count.

It has some visible wear on it...not an issue since I never look for "Safe Queens" but shooting guns only but that may be a clue to its "true " age.

I have the serial # and sent an inquiry to Les Baer asking when it was made and who it was shipped to so I can better evaluate its age.

So far everyone here thats posted seems to like the Les Baer 1911's. I've never owned one before...I've had Colts and now own a Kimber TLE 2 and a Desert Eagle 1911 G.

I'm very happy with both of those guns....I just saw the Les listed in the shops used guns inventory and thought my 2 .45's could use some company.

Most of the new guns won't function 100% until you shoot about a 1000 rounds to wear them in. They are that tight. They shoot like a laser. They are worth the money if you want to spend it.

Be careful, it might be hard to shoot the Kimber after spending time with the LB.....LOL

DougC

JK get the new one from John. John is a good guy and stands behind what he says. I've dealt with him on several occasions. Plus by getting the new one you will get your custom made cardboard carrying container. Baer's are great 1911's. One of my favorites. Old school hard fit 1911's; does not get any better. My favorite is my P-II; it just fits right.

Les Baer contacted me and said the ser. # indicates that this pistol was manufactured in 1998.

I'm going to contact the gun shop and see if they will do a price adjustment....if not then they can hold onto it some more.

I like the idea of getting one and at a fair price but I don't want to be the guy that pays for a 14 year old pistol what I could have paid for a brand new one.

Sent another email to the gun shop owner telling him I'm interested but not at that price and I REALLY want to know about the supposed low round count.

JK

Called Les Baer...spoke to a member of their staff about this sale and info...

Their lifetime warranty only applies to the original owner of a firearm. So if I purchased this used one it would NOT be covered by their lifetime warranty.

Also I was advised that a brand new one in 1998 sold (retail) for $1520 so the dealer price was probably around $1200 or so.

IMHO this pistol...14 years old....wear on the finish..unk round count...not covered by any warranty...is worth around $800 and thats what I offered the owner of the shop.

They have a great reputation but who knows? It could have been rode hard and put away wet and I'll be looking at gunsmith bills in addition to the $ of the pistol.

JK

$800 would be a steal. I would take it at that, sight unseen. Their frames and slides with a decent barrel sell for that much, so if you get the gun cheap and have to put some work into it, it's still a decent deal.

One problem though, you will stop shooting your kimber and the colt will rattle like crazy after you shoot a used but not abused Baer... I prefer to get them used since someone else buttered them up with the first few thousand rounds!

Seller has taken a pass...he refuses to come down at all from his $1425 price...citing financial problems......I told the gunshot owner that the pistol sold BRAND NEW for $1520 in 1998 so the sellers just being unreasonable IMHO.

Steviesterno.....When Quickdraw sent me to Crazy John and he said he could order a brand new one for $1620 that and what the people at Les Baer said made up my mind to stick to my offer.

If I want one that bad I'll buy it new from Crazy John.