Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm in 38sc

snake32

The only issue I have heard of but have not experienced (have never tried it) is that the hot gases will wear the chamber wall a little just in front of the 9mm case. This “undercut” could cause extraction issues when 38SC/S is used because the case expands into that expanded chamber area and needs to collapse to be extracted.

Since those two cartridges chamber on the case mouth, wouldn't you be expecting the extractor to hold the 9mm close enough to the breech face for primer ignition, cause undue stress on the extractor, and possibly leading to unreliable primer ignition?

The answer to erosion theory typically is that if it doesn't happen in the barrel, why should it happen in the chamber? Both are nothing but supposition, I am afraid... I myself have not seen any evidence of any such erosion.

I am still waiting for the extractor to break... but they are flat refusing to do so. When and if it breaks, I will replace it - I agree there must be some extra stress on its tooth. The ignition is perfect.

This is very interesting. If there are no negative effects from firing 9major in a 38sc barrel (please understand that I am not suggesting that there are any negative effects as I have no idea) wouldn't the ultimate setup be a 38SC gun that shoots 9major in lost brass matches and 38SC in other matches - thus having the best of both worlds? :huh:

Or would that cause the universe to explode? :unsure:

I shot a bunch of 9mm in a .38 super Caspian, but not Major 9. Only problem I found was that occasionally the extractor would miss the case rim on the 9 and then it would not fire. You have to use gravity to get the round out because the extractor will not pull it out. Not a good situation in a match. For practice it would be OK.

Doug

Any gun builder's care to comment? Are there any negative effects? Is there a decrease in accuracy or any other trade off that you know of?

The biggest problem I see is that the 9MAJOR loads would not perform the same as 38S/SC. For me, shooting Open, I want the gun to behave the same every time I pull the trigger.

Most say there is no such thing as a 9MAJOR that will shoot as flat as a 38. I personally don't know or care about that.

I had my gun built in 9 because I saw the writing on the wall. 9MAJOR is the wave of the future and soon all others will be obsolete.ph34r.gifsight.gif

The biggest problem I see is that the 9MAJOR loads would not perform the same as 38S/SC. For me, shooting Open, I want the gun to behave the same every time I pull the trigger.

With the load I use, I can't tell the difference. You should try it, I too was cautious at first. I spoke to my gunsmith, Errol Lawson, who built some of my guns, and he said go ahead... so I went.

I've just been doing a bit of reading on this - agree with the earlier comment about head spacing off the case mouth - sounds dangerous should the 9mm slip forward off of the extractor and leave a gap between the breech face and the case - ruptured primers etc. makes me less keen to try it. Foxbat, how many rounds have you done this for?