Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Setting up Benelli M2 for Open Division

TGibe

I read a lot of M2 mod threads here and probably missed the one that discusses what to do to get my new M2 setup for Open division. I have read Jesse's thread on setting up an M2 for 3gun... Seems like most discussions are not about Open setups.

I currently have a Remmy 1187 setup for open and decided to move to Benelli... Just not ready to go with a Saiga type SG yet, but love shooting open.

Last week I picked up an M2 field 26" for a little over $1,000 locally and ordered the following:

-Nordic +8 tube

-Nordic tube clamp

-Nordic bolt handle

-Arrendondo loading chute

-Benelli tecloaders (for plastic adapter as I have 6 tecloaders for remington)

-Arrendondo jpoint/doctor rib mount (will move my fastfire II to this gun)

-DMW Speedbar (carrier release)

What mods must be done to get this thing ready to run without spending a ton more money?

Do I need to open the loading port?

Do I need a CRums lifter?

Should I modify the shell catch?

Thanks for helping a 3gun and Benelli newb out :bow:

I read a lot of M2 mod threads here and probably missed the one that discusses what to do to get my new M2 setup for Open division. I have read Jesse's thread on setting up an M2 for 3gun... Seems like most discussions are not about Open setups.

I currently have a Remmy 1187 setup for open and decided to move to Benelli... Just not ready to go with a Saiga type SG yet, but love shooting open.

Last week I picked up an M2 field 26" for a little over $1,000 locally and ordered the following:

-Nordic +8 tube

-Nordic tube clamp

-Nordic bolt handle

-Arrendondo loading chute

-Benelli tecloaders (for plastic adapter as I have 6 tecloaders for remington)

-Arrendondo jpoint/doctor rib mount (will move my fastfire II to this gun)

-DMW Speedbar (carrier release)

What mods must be done to get this thing ready to run without spending a ton more money?

Do I need to open the loading port?

Do I need a CRums lifter?

Should I modify the shell catch?

Thanks for helping a 3gun and Benelli newb out :bow:

Looks like you have everything you need. Slap it together, sight it in & see how it runs. CRums lifter not needed for open, maybe open the port slightly enough to take off any sharp edges.

Tony

If you decide to port the barrel you need to port it at least 5" inches back from the muzzle so you have enough pressure to make it effective.

Blend the inside of the magtube opening to make for a smooth transition as the shells are pushed into the tube.

Looks like you have everything you need. Slap it together, sight it in & see how it runs. CRums lifter not needed for open, maybe open the port slightly enough to take off any sharp edges.

Tony

Thanks Tony. :cheers:

If you decide to port the barrel you need to port it at least 5" inches back from the muzzle so you have enough pressure to make it effective.

Blend the inside of the magtube opening to make for a smooth transition as the shells are pushed into the tube.

Do you mean to blend where the extension attaches or where the shells first enter the tube?

Thanks,

Allen

I ran a JPoint melt-in rib mount on my Browning and went with the Fastfire Quick bead on my Benelli. I like the Quick bead 100 times more. It makes the dot seem brighter because it's so close to your eye.

I thought about the speed bead and may have to take another look at it. I installed a rail on the receiver of my 1187 and have the fastfire all the way to the back so it is pretty close to my eye. If the rib mount puts it too far out then I will order the speed bead.

Cheers :cheers:

Do you mean to blend where the extension attaches or where the shells first enter the tube?

Thanks,

Allen

Where they first enter the tube. Smoothing the transition there will not only make loading them easier, but it will eliminate deforming the crimp on shells as they are loaded which has the potential to cause malfunctions later on.

I have been told by some (This is second hand info as well so take it or leave it) that the sure cycle systems don't really help. I have been told by the guys at XRail that they use a low recoil spring in Benelli's with Xrails that may not cycle with the additional weight of the extra shot and Xrail system.

Where they first enter the tube. Smoothing the transition there will not only make loading them easier, but it will eliminate deforming the crimp on shells as they are loaded which has the potential to cause malfunctions later on.

OK. That makes sense. I will take a look at that area and see how I can improve it.

What type of dremel bit would you recommend for smoothing that out? Or would you do it by hand?

Thanks again,

Allen

OK. That makes sense. I will take a look at that area and see how I can improve it.

What type of dremel bit would you recommend for smoothing that out? Or would you do it by hand?

Thanks again,

Allen

By hand. It's too easy to remove too much with a dremel.

I ran a JPoint melt-in rib mount on my Browning and went with the Fastfire Quick bead on my Benelli. I like the Quick bead 100 times more. It makes the dot seem brighter because it's so close to your eye.

I thought about the speed bead and may have to take another look at it. I installed a rail on the receiver of my 1187 and have the fastfire all the way to the back so it is pretty close to my eye. If the rib mount puts it too far out then I will order the speed bead.

FYI/Update - ordered a speedbead. The rib mount wasn't suiting me very well... LOL live and learn :cheers:

The good news is that it looks like Burris will start selling only the mount at the end of March. But for now you need to order it with the sight.

FYI/Update - ordered a speedbead. The rib mount wasn't suiting me very well... LOL live and learn :cheers:

The good news is that it looks like Burris will start selling only the mount at the end of March. But for now you need to order it with the sight.

Hope you didn't whack a big chunk out of your vent rib to figure this out! Have fun with open and practice with the sticks.

Hope you didn't whack a big chunk out of your vent rib to figure this out! Have fun with open and practice with the sticks.

No. Just eyeballed the sight position and decided closer would be better.

And yeah, I have been practicing with the sticks on my 1187 open SG for a while now... It will take a lot a practice to get any good though.

:cheers:

I would do the Crums lifter. Its not a "must have" but its definitely a nice to have to keep the benelli lifter from taking off a finger nail if you decide to single feed a slug, or top off the magazine in the middle of a stage with a single shell (IMO loading one by hand still faster than using a tecloader)

I would do the Crums lifter. Its not a "must have" but its definitely a nice to have to keep the benelli lifter from taking off a finger nail if you decide to single feed a slug, or top off the magazine in the middle of a stage with a single shell (IMO loading one by hand still faster than using a tecloader)

I agree, if you are only loading one round it is easier by hand. My Open Benny Benelli has a Crums and it doesn't hurt with the loading of a speed stick either.

Have u guys messed with longer 6 round Tec loaders much? I found one and it was a PIA to load compared to the 4's. I guess my leverage is less or something.

I haven't. The reason being, I can't find any. Someone posted a want ad in the classifieds about a month ago for these and I posted with it and never got a response. I would love to try one but I do see where the disaster factor is heightened with the longer tubes.

Yeah, it's on my list... I always start out thinking I can do something partially, but always end up spending the money :rolleyes:

Will also be lightening the bolt at some point too, just don't want to be without the gun for long right now ;)

Thanks again,

Allen

By hand. It's too easy to remove too much with a dremel.

Very true its easy to dremel material off of something but very hard to put it back on.

Temptation02.jpg

The CRUM's lifter is a must have for smooth loading with tubes. Without it, the lifter will go down a little to far and create a nasty little ledge for the your crimps to catch on.

Another thing that you'll want to do is to polish up the bolt and bolt entry points on the barrel.....make that bolt go into battery even if you've only pulled it a 1/4" back.

Also......speaking of bolt carriers, a lot people talk about the the ghost load feature that you can do to the Benelli bolt, however there is little discussion about that little slot in the bottom of the bolt that clears the lifter. You want to take that slot and grind it out to the front of the bolt. The reason is.....in the event that your bolt doesn't quite go foward enough for what ever reason and you jam a loading tube into the gun you lodge that first shell base between the lifter and bottom of the loading port tighter than size 10 foot in a size 8 boot!! And at that point...they don;t come out easy.

Yeah.....this ain't only for open shotguns, its a good thing to do for limited shotguns too.