Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 Super Comp Brass Price

deerassassin22

Unless you plan on loading them once and losing them, it would depends on how many times they've been reloaded and the ratio of the various headstamps.

Starline/Lapua/Hornady would be all top-tier and AP RL would not, IMO.

$110/K is a good deal if they were all one headstamp and either once or twice fired. Since they're mixed, it sounds like they're range pickups where you don't know if they're once fired or may be on their last legs.

I'd pony up the extra $25/K and not deal with the unknown unless you know they're in good shape.

I would never pay over 50% of new brass price for used. That is what it usually sells for around here. Sometimes when a caliber is hard to find it will sell for more. Starline was backordered on .38 Super and .38 SC for several months and I seen some higher priced brass sell because of lack of availabilty. I waited over 3 months for super brass and I guess if I would have been out and need some for a match I might have paid more, because of my poor planning.

Used 38SC mixed headstamp brass:

Besides not knowing how many times they have been reloaded; there is also the issue of the different sizes of the extractor grooves. Some guns will not extract certain brass reliably. Your better off buying all one head stamp brass. Bite the bullet and buy the new Starline 38SC brass and eliminate any brass problems.

Besides not knowing how many times they have been reloaded; there is also the issue of the different sizes of the extractor grooves. Some guns will not extract certain brass reliably.

I think this is a substantially over-stated concern. I refuse to believe that I am so lucky, that I have three guns in 38 Super/SC, and none of them ever had any difficulty extracting any of the available versions of brass. Heck, they don't even care if it is Super or the SC.

However, if one indeed has such a finicky gun, it is always possible to use mixed brass for practice.

Regarding how many times the brass has been reloaded... I had nickel-plated cases where almost all plating was gone, and cases where you could hardly see the head stamps, and yet they plain refused to die and worked every time I loaded them. The 38 Super/SC brass, as the rule, is incredibly robust.

Besides not knowing how many times they have been reloaded; there is also the issue of the different sizes of the extractor grooves. Some guns will not extract certain brass reliably.

I think this is a substantially over-stated concern. I refuse to believe that I am so lucky, that I have three guns in 38 Super/SC, and none of them ever had any difficulty extracting any of the available versions of brass. Heck, they don't even care if it is Super or the SC.

However, if one indeed has such a finicky gun, it is always possible to use mixed brass for practice.

Regarding how many times the brass has been reloaded... I had nickel-plated cases where almost all plating was gone, and cases where you could hardly see the head stamps, and yet they plain refused to die and worked every time I loaded them. The 38 Super/SC brass, as the rule, is incredibly robust.

Well maybe it's just my two open guns but neither will reliably extract Lapua. Then again both were set up for Starline.

Used 38SC mixed headstamp brass:

Besides not knowing how many times they have been reloaded; there is also the issue of the different sizes of the extractor grooves. Some guns will not extract certain brass reliably. Your better off buying all one head stamp brass. Bite the bullet and buy the new Starline 38SC brass and eliminate any brass problems.

That makes a lot of sense especially if one is competiting.

Old saying of my father was when buying used you are buying the previous owners problems. Of course this was in regards to automobiles but would be a valid statement when it comes to buying previously fire brass. To be safe buy new.