Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Handguards, what do you like/want?

ajg308

I am working with a local machinist that is making his own handguards. It will have pic rail on the top. Other than that, if you could design your own, what would it be?

Length?

Holes or slots?

Sling attach? Where?

Finish?

Thanks.

+1 to TMCs

A little longer would be nice.. I like slots .. parallel with the barrel.. to rest my index finger in.. at the 9 o'clock. And enough places I can put a stud for a sling for that 1 in 20 match that needs them

Not sure if it's possible.. but lighter would be optimum.. maybe this is going to push me towards fiber?

I'd also skip the rail.. it would come off immediately..

A barrel nut with scallops on the inside of the nut (no need to align for gas tube). Check out Superior Weapon System's barrel nut (also Wilson's TRIM). I like the texture on JP HGs. Holes for sling mounts, similar to the TRX (I really like Noveske's TRX QD/flush cup mounts.

Rifle length (12 or 12.5") and extended (13-15") to cover a GB.

Some anti-rotation tabs or rod (Samson Evo or Noveske's SWS).

No rails at 3, 6, or 9 O'Clock.

A barrel nut with scallops on the inside of the nut (no need to align for gas tube). Check out Superior Weapon System's barrel nut (also Wilson's TRIM). I like the texture on JP HGs. Holes for sling mounts, similar to the TRX (I really like Noveske's TRX QD/flush cup mounts.

Rifle length (12 or 12.5") and extended (13-15") to cover a GB.

Some anti-rotation tabs or rod (Samson Evo or Noveske's SWS).

No rails at 3, 6, or 9 O'Clock.

He has a nice system to attach it and it won't have to be timed to the gas tube. Options to attach rails at 3, 6, and 9.

The long PRI Carbon Fibers are truly good. I have often wanted a forearm that was the same diameter as a silencer. the ability to have pieces of rail at 12, 3,6,9 1,2 is important. Free float is important for semi auto competition rifles. 16-18" could be useful.

+1 for Lancer. I have two of them, they are pricey but they are also really nice. I think that they have the right combination of lightweight, solid, strong and streamlined.

If he can do those things I believe he will have a good piece of kit that will sell.

+1 for Lancer. I have two of them, they are pricey but they are also really nice. I think that they have the right combination of lightweight, solid, strong and streamlined.

If he can do those things I believe he will have a good piece of kit that will sell.

What do they run? I did a quick look but didn't find the price

i'd like to see provision for a hand-stop that can mount directly to the handguard without needing a picattiny rail interface. Noveske has indicated they'll have something like that in an upcoming "NSR"

rail - assume they're naming it for the shooting drill, not the bike :)

i'd like to see provision for a hand-stop that can mount directly to the handguard without needing a picattiny rail interface. Noveske has indicated they'll have something like that in an upcoming "NSR"

Samson is making one now. http://www.samson-mfg.com/ar-15_html/product/Evolution-Stop.html

I have been told, but cannot confirm, the spacing fits other popular rails in addition to the Evo.

Samson is making one now. http://www.samson-mf...ution-Stop.html

I have been told, but cannot confirm, the spacing fits other popular rails in addition to the Evo.

hey, that's pretty cool! I didn't know they made this, thanks for the heads up!