Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gimmick Glock items

Tom Brannon

To save us newbies some time and money, I thought I would just ask what are some of the gimmick items they sell to improve your Glock.

I've already read were the rubber buffer was one. I would rather spend my money on ammo than try and find out it was just not needed. :sight:

I've only made two changes to my Gen4 G35 that I'd say was worth it:

- A drop-in trigger kit to make the trigger pull lighter (I use Charlie Vanek's triggers)

- I changed the OEM fixed sights to adjustable sights

Others do a lot more to their Glock, but these are the only two that have improved my shooting.

According to a recent ruling by Robert Ray it has been confirmed as legal, which is odd to me.

Most likely because Glock is producing an OEM beavertail backstraps for Gen4 guns. According to GearScout, they'll begin shipping with Gen4 glocks later this year.

I cannot post links yet, but here is the url: militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/2012/01/28/coming-to-america-glock-beavertail-backstrap/

Everything except:

Non-variable rate recoil springs/conventional guide rods

Near-to-stock slide stops/mag releases

Sights (excluding ghost rings, Big Dots, triangles, etc)

Grip plugs/Speedwell

Gunsmith-fit barrels/Match grade slide stop

The forthcoming "Gadget" by Tom Jones and Todd Green

Extended and/or weighted basepads

OEM parts

Just about everything else is just pure gimmicky nonsense that you shouldn't waste your money on IMHO. Especially trigger kits. Bob Vogel just won the World Shoot with a stock Glock trigger. You can shoot just fine without them if you man up, put the practice in, and deal with it.

Edited by DonovanM

Tom, is this for carry/duty/Competition? If for competition, what division?

Competition-

Prodution

Mandatory, better sights. Conventional notch and post with a fiber optic in the front post if you want. If you want to read a really good sights write-up, go here: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=142607&st=0&p=1620623&fromsearch=1entry1620623

Some work on the trigger is certainly nice, but not required. The Lone Wolf Pro Pick kit is a good deal and will do the trick for Production nicely: http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=156085&CAT=163 Sure, you can get a little bit better trigger by spending more money, but you are better off with spending it on ammo or reloading.

Some kind of a grip plug can't hurt, but not necessary and make sure you get one that is legal in Production. Unless you have an RTF frame, some skate tape will probably help too, or you can get one of the die cut versions.

I am going to assume you are shooting a 9mm. If so, a steel guide rod (not tungsten) with a 13# ISMI spring is also nice, not required, but pretty helpful.

All told, about $150 to $170 or so.

You can ignore the discussion about the Grip force adapter, not legal in USPSA. Everything else is chasing something you can get with practice and training.

Glocks need good sights, Vanek trigger, 13 lb spring, lightened striker and spring, steel guide rod, grip plug and grip tape. Anything else is just a gimmick. roflol.gif

A Glock is a totally different gun with a good aftermarket trigger installed.

Personally, there were only 3 things I changed on my Glock 34:

- sights

- spring to match my reloads

- guide rod for the non-factory spring

I know I spent less $100 total on those changes.

I may have been lucky to get a gun with a relatively good trigger for a Glock. I think the gun was sitting on the display shelf for a long time and got broken in by all the customers trying it out. If the gun didn't have a pretty nice trigger, then I would look at getting a drop in trigger kit.

Edited by Skydiver

Bob Vogel just won the World Shoot with a stock Glock trigger. You can shoot just fine without them if you man up, put the practice in, and deal with it.

LMAO

Us girls like the feel of a 100,000 round OEM trigger too. The weekend warrior can enjoy

exactly that with Vanek's trigger a whole-lot-sooner. I must go now to finish my flower arrangement. wink.gif

+1 girlie man to the list.

Bob Vogel just won the World Shoot with a stock Glock trigger. You can shoot just fine without them if you man up, put the practice in, and deal with it.

LMAO

Us girls like the feel of a 100,000 round OEM trigger too. The weekend warrior can enjoy

exactly that with Vanek's trigger a whole-lot-sooner. I must go now to finish my flower arrangement. wink.gif

LMAO

C'mon... nothin 20 minutes and a polishing tool wouldn't do for you!

I'll take Grip Force Adapter for $500, Alex.

And any of the non-traditional sights like XS or Big Dot or the triangle ones.

Hahaha I love that thing!! Very cheap/worthwhile investment IMO... just because slide bite gets to be d*mn annoying with an aggressive grip

I'll take Grip Force Adapter for $500, Alex.

And any of the non-traditional sights like XS or Big Dot or the triangle ones.

For those of us with big hands and the desire not to bleed, the Grip Force Adapter is far from a gimick item... ;)