Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR-15 rifle barrel

Puma

Just ordered a Stag-Arms 3 gun AR-15. The rifle comes with a heavy S/S fluted barrel. I am not familiar with these barrels. Is this particular barrel factory grade or an upgraded barrel ? I would appreciate any and all information since I do not know anything about these barrels.

Though I own it I have been known to throw inferior quality items away.................

I just have not heard of this barrel manufacturer. Subsequently I need to find out how good or how bad it really is. I assume and hope that since it is a heavy S/S and flutted that it is of good quality. Maybe I should just go out and shoot it when I receive it.....LOL ! Anyway I do appreciate your respose.

Again, any and all information will be appreciated.

I would think shooting it will have a couple of benefits:

1.) You will find out exactly how accurate this particular barrel can be, instead of relying on either a good or bad reputation of the manufacturer. (In Stag's case it is very good reputation!)

2.) You will get to practice a little more w/ the rifle.

Though I own it I have been known to throw inferior quality items away.................

I just have not heard of this barrel manufacturer. Subsequently I need to find out how good or how bad it really is. I assume and hope that since it is a heavy S/S and flutted that it is of good quality. Maybe I should just go out and shoot it when I receive it.....LOL ! Anyway I do appreciate your respose.

Again, any and all information will be appreciated.

What did Stag has to say to your inquiry?

Meanwhile, shoot the snot out of it. I've been considering their fully assembled 3G upper in the future.

Edited by michael1778

The Shaw barrel is working well for Jesse and Kalani. Very well indeed. Definitely accurate enough to place in the top 10 at major matches, repeatedly.

What more do you need to know?

Don't worry about it, just shoot it.

Thanks guys. I guess that if it is good enough for a major 3 - gun team it has to be good. I should be receiving the rifle in about a week. I have heard so many good things about it that I cannot wait to shoot it.

I reaklly appreciate all your comments. I should be receiving the rifle in approximately a week. From the pictures that were posted either the gun is good or you guys are excellent shooters ( Probably a combination of the two ).

I have heard that the compensator is maybe to effective and causes the rifle to dip. I also see that the Stag 3 gun team also uses the Titan Brake. Any thoughts about this ?

I reaklly appreciate all your comments. I should be receiving the rifle in approximately a week. From the pictures that were posted either the gun is good or you guys are excellent shooters ( Probably a combination of the two ).

I have heard that the compensator is maybe to effective and causes the rifle to dip. I also see that the Stag 3 gun team also uses the Titan Brake. Any thoughts about this ?

They likely use what they like and fits their shooting style.

Puma, congratulations on your new rifle.

I have found that the Model 3G barrels prefer the 69 grain bullets, so I would start there. I typically use 69 gr SMK bullets with a velocity of 2800ish.

Jesse uses the Titan Brake. I used the Rolling Thunder last year. This year I will probably be using the Surefire Brake as I prefer to use a can during practice and training.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Kalani

Kalani,

It is very thoughtful of you to take the time and respond to my post. Being new to the AR-15 family I have too many questions to ask you. I am just trying to learn as much as I can so that I can head in the right direction. As far as equipment I just want to get it right the first time so that I do not have to waste money and purchase the same thing twice. It just so happens that I have a new Titan laying around. My next tough decision will be choosing an optic. I would like to keep it under $ 1,000.

I cannot wait to receive my new rifle.......everything is laying on the floor next to the door waiting to go to the range !

Pumagsd@yahoo.com

Miami, FL.

congrats on the new rifle. fwiw, er shaw is a well known OEM barrel manufacturer and my understanding is they supply blanks and finished barrels for many manufacturers and assemblers. i haven't used their AR barrels but have a few of their 10/22 barrels and they're all very accurate (if fed the ammo they like, which isn't uncommon for rimfire). shoot the heck out of yours and see what it likes best :cheers:

I wasn't to familiar with ER Shaw when I first started shooting for Stag either. I had heard if them but hadn't used their stuff. Like Kalani said my barrels have all liked 69's. Heck every barrel I have owned preferred 69's. Now that I think if it I prefer the 69 too.

If your looking for a good starter optic I recommend the Burris Tac30. The FOV is greater than the TR24 I used to have. My only complaint is that the illumination isn't. You get used to that though just line you get used to having illumination.

Fell free to holler at me if you have any questions once you get your rifle.