Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I decided to go and signed up yesterday.

As usual, I forgot to check who'd be going before sending the form in, so I didn't make any squadding request. I like on-line squadding since I can then inflict myself on people at the last minute :P

See some of you there.

I agree with the general sentiment that Fri-Sun seems a bit much for 12 stages but we live with what we get.

Kevin

Bruce,

Some browsers have trouble launching PDF files direct to the screen. Right click on the hypertext link choose the "Save Link Target As" option. Save to your hard drive, then upon completion of the download choose the "Launch File" button, that should do it....

good luck,

gr

Some browsers have trouble launching PDF files direct to the screen.

I don't have any problem with PDFs. What I was experiencing was that the links, themselves, didn't show up on my screen.

Until now... I just checked and there they are. Which means, either I was trapped on a cached version of the page (despite doing a "refresh"), or.... I'm going insane.

Pretty much an even-money bet ;-)

Bruce

Area 1, since 1999 when I started paying attention to it, does not attract a high quantity of high talent compared to the other area matches. Perhaps because it does not include a prize table. Perhaps because it is out of the way of the non-west-coast talent.

I'll always remember my first Area 1, my first big match. The ROs on one stage were Todd and Robbie.

P.S. Oh man, Chris Tilley and ong45 are on my squad. I'll have to switch to Open.

Edited by Erik Warren

That's a good point Erik, no prize table. I'm not going to pretend to know how the financial side of Area matches are run, but 250 shooters @ $100 each = $25k.

This is a "plaque match" and that is probably the reason for smaller than average turnout. I had hopes that since Infinity was sponsoring the match we would see some prizes. Oh well, I'll enjoy myself anyway. :)

2001 Area1 in Marysville, Wa. had Robbie (shooting Lim-10), Saul, Max, Julie ect...

We hoped we were going to get some top-drawer talent for the match, both because it is not that long after Nationals, and also because it is the next-to-last match in the qualification series for next years' USPSA world-shoot teams.

Who knows... many of the "names" don't sign up until the last minute, so we may still see some. And, we've certainly gotten good representation from the ladies (Lisa Munson, Athena Lee, Sheryl Cruz, Debbie Keehart). Tom, how the heck did you wrangle a spot on that squad? :P

As far as prize tables.... yeah, this has been a trophy match since 1998. The thinking behind is is largely centered on the fact that this is a match *for* the shooters of Area-1 (and surrounding locales). It makes more sense (to me, at least) to put on a match at a decent price-point, and let lots of people experience a "big match", rather than to charge $200 or more for a prize match.

If that means that some of the Big Dawgs (and/or prize-hounds) stay away, and the match fills up instead with B-C-D shooters from around Area-1, I'm pretty much OK with that. I would rather see Joe Average from Wyoming or Montana or wherever have an exciting time at "their" championship match, than watch someone skilled in the art of "classification management" wander off with a prize.

$.02

Bruce

Bruce

And, we've certainly gotten good representation from the ladies (Lisa Munson, Athena Lee, Sheryl Cruz, Debbie Keehart). Tom, how the heck did you wrangle a spot on that squad? :P

Lee, Rich, JoJo and I are going to have to be on our best behavior around all them sexy ladies. :D

Any one know any of theses dudes?

PAINE, MILTON 204

I know Milton...he's a local shooter around here. He started out shooting Limited but switched over to the dark side this year and has been doing well.

None of the other names I recognize.

The Carraher's are father and son from Va or one of Carolinas. Really nice guys --- and some of the harder workers in helping out with the work load at area matches.....

I had the pleasure of meeting them at World Shoot XIII in South Africa in 2002, and they are indeed very nice people.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back...

I didn't stick around for the results so I cant give any of that information. But what I will say is that I commend Dave Buel and Ken Chaimbers for running a smooth match. no delays whatsoever. stages ran smooth and no malfuncitions. We were continually one hour ahead of schedual with very little lag time between stages.

I shot ok, probably not agressive as i could have been. I had two mikes for the match. I left a us popper standing with an edge hit and miked a tight target behind a port. On the days with the early starts it took a while to thaw out and get the blood flowing. At 730 am it was 42*

My only complaints were the lack of wide open targets. 95% of the shots were through some form of port wich gave very few opprotunitys to shoot on the move.

There were a few too many gun unloaded/on table/mags over here starts. And lastly one rediculously small cooper tunnel. 2.5' wide 3' high and about 5' long. I had to crawl through on hand and knees. Oh yeah and no vendors to really speak of.

overall was a good match.