Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Has this caliber been done already? .223 necked up to 6.5mm

Chills1994

Yessirreee bob!

Just like the title says.

keep the same lower, upper, bolt carrier group, bolt, just swap the barrel to a 6.5mm bore.

what say you?

maybe a little bit better performance than the .300 Blackout's rainbow like trajectory.

One version is called the 6.5 TCU. It's on an improved 223 case however and probably wouldn't feed that great in an AR. Still like my 6.8's even though it uses different bolt/mags.....110 gr. bullet at 2600+ fps in a carbine.

A .223 case will yield a round with too long an overall length to fit in the mags. Either that or the bullet will need to be seated too deep to stay in place while feeding.

I played with the 6mm-223 some years back. The Sierra 70 grain Match King was a great bullet for it, heavier/longer became too long.

And even if you do seat the bullet deep enough to fit in an AR mag, you'll either give up a bunch of powder capacity or be limited to short, stubby bullets with horrible BCs (same issues that the 6.8 SPC struggles with).

6.5 Grendel is the way to go in AR if you want to shoot a heavier, better BC bullet. I've been shooting 140 grain Nosler Custom Comps and 144 grain Laupa FMJs out of mine for years. Only had one problem, when I did not seat some 140's deep enough, they were hard into the lands and I broke two teeth off of a bolt. I get great accuracy at 600 and 800 yards, 1 MOA sometimes better.

I'd love to see a picture of a .223 necked to 6.5/.264!

Why not try it with 6mm?/.243 they go up to about 107 grains.

I don't see a .223/6.5 as being a good cartridge. As stated above the case is too long for 6.5 bullets and you would give up powder capacity trying. I think the 6/.222 was tryed as a benchrest round for awhile decades ago, until the 6PPC came around and cleaned up the records. The 6.5 Grendel is based on the 6PPC concept.

had an AR in the Grendel and loved it. But...in wheeling and dealing I sold the upper, built a 24" varmint .223 AND got a 6.5 CSS (Grendel) barrel for my Savage 10 FCP-HS precision. Now I have a .308 and 6.5 Grendel (actually 6.5 CSS) in one switch barrel rifle.

keep the .223 headstamp, the bottom of the case basically, cut it off, like what you would do to convert .223 brass into blackout brass. and then "neck it down" to take a 6.5mm (.264") bullet. maybe push it out a bunch faster, say closer to 2,700 fps.

Can you take a 6.5 or 6.8 subsonic and have it still perform adequately as far as function and accuracy to 200yds?

anything subsonic is basically 1,000 fps or slower at the muzzle, so your choice of trajectories are: rainbow, more rainbow, and most rainbow.

Either go with the Grendel or Hornady is loading a 110 gr in the .300.

I have a Grendel and like it.

Dave

my point being is everything stays the same, all you gotta do is swap the barrels. no special mags to buy, no special bolt to buy. keep the same .223 bolt and BCG.

JD Jones does "whispers" (all on a 221 Fireball case) in 6, 6.5, 7, 30 and 338, I'm sure he would build you one if you wanted. Not sure you'd want to pay for it though. They're not what you'd call cheap. :D

(ETA: Double checked, he does uppers in 6, 7 & 30. And like I said, not cheap. $1,100. Also the "6.5MPC"

"The 6.5 MPC (Multi Purpose Cartridge) is a SSK development urged by Brian Hormberg (USMC) based on the 5.56 cartridge shortened and opened to 6.5 MM and the same OAL as the 5.56. In the M-16-AR-15 rifles it utilizes the 5.56 bolt and magazines as well as all other parts except the barrel itself. Its design adapts it to a short Close Quarter Battle rifle with a 12” barrel moving a 107 6.5 SMK at 2400 FPS with superior full auto controllability and excellent accuracy. The 12” barrel model easily puts it into the realistic 300+ yard combat category and longer barrels stretch that realistic combat range considerably further.")

There's nothing new under the sun, and little new in the world of wildcats. Just this weeks name change and a minor case adjustment.

Edited by cas