Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hornady LNL Upgrade - Case or Bullet Feeder First?

SpankYa

So I've got my LNL dialed in for 9mm and .45. Priming, powder drop, ejection are all running smoothly and consistently. Now the speed of reloading is just limited by my ability to stick in a case and projectile. I use my left hand for both since my right stays on the handle.

I'd like to buy the case or bullet feeder, but don't want to drop cash for both at the same time. Any recommendation on which one will give a greater return on investment in terms of productivity?

Given a constrained budget, which should I get first: bullet feeder or case feeder?

Thanks,

Lester

Bullet feeder.

The case feeder is problematic in 9mm without a fair amount of work, in my experience, and each should gain you about the same amount of productivity.

I haven't heard of any issues with the bullet feeder except for the noise factor.

I have neither but I do use tubes with the bullet feed dies. I find it far easier to place a piece of brass than to place a bullet on top of the brass.

I can run my press pretty damn fast this way, when the handle is down I'm grabing a piece of brass and when the plate gets to the bottom the brass slides into place so easy.

I would go with the case feeder, it is simple enough for me to put a bullet on and I like to look to make sure there is powder in there, even though I use an RCBS lock-out die. I have had no problems with the case feeder for 9mm. I have to be a little more patient on the down stroke but that isn't a problem really, they feed into the shell plate just fine if I am smooth. I have kicked around the idea of a bullet feeder but I don't think that I am going to do it.

i took a 5 gal bucket mounted a 5rpm motor on it built a shell plate for a case feeder. mounted it on a lnl ap and bought all the other little pieces needed to make it work from hornady for $75.00. so im at about $100.00 for a case feeder. i then bought a hornady bullet feeder die and once again with the 5gal bucket 5rpm motor and etc and i have a bullet feeder for under $50.00. i only use theese with 38 sc so its a cheap way out for me. if i was you i would go with the case feeder then buy the bullet feeder dies you need and some rigid plastic tubes. drill a hole in the bottom of each tube just above the edge of the bullet feed die and put a pin in it. you can drop bullets in many tubes as you watch tv and when loading all you do is change tubes from enpty to full. takes seconds.

Case feeder. Ironing out the bugs is kind of a pain, but once you do it works great. Then buy the bullet dies and the plastic tubes as mentioned. That's pretty much what I have done and I have no intent to spend the money on the bullet feeder.