Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Heads up on Warren Tactical sights

StLBoss

Got my Warren Comp sights in the mail today. I have been researching the installation and have seen quite a few other sight makers sets that come with a nylon punch and loctite. Not the Warrens. Really no directions for installation other than, have a pro gunsmith put them in. But, I luckily live near a Cabela's and Bass Pro. Neither sell a brass, nylon, or aluminum punch. Nothing at Home Depot, Sears, or Lowes. I did find a Glock site tool at Bass, so I won't have to grind down a socket to get the front off. I guess I'll wrap a steel punch in tape and go slow for the rear installion.

Just letting newbies out there know what you get with the Warrens. In case your like me and don't have any of that stuff at home. So my $83 set plus shipping was $95 plus Glock sight tool for $15 come to $110. And that's before buying loctite or file to make the rear work.

Oh, and you have to heat up the fiber optic and 'pull' it into the recessed portion of the front. And melt the other side in some how.

I know ya'll are gone say go have it put in, but I just wanted let other 'rookies' know what they are getting into.

If you haven't seen how to fit a sight to your gun, I suggest you watch some videos from Dawson or the like. If you don't file the sight correctly you will ruin it.

That's why I let the professionals do the work on my weapons. Yea I can do some things but by letting the gunsmith do it is my preferred option. Reason being I see it as a way to in ensure that there is a gunsmith present to take care of those things I can't or shouldn't do.

Most of our local hardware stores sell two or three foot sections of 1/4" brass rod for $10 or so. You can cut a small piece off to use as a punch and a little longer one to use as a squib rod. You'll have enough left over to last a long time.

I put Warrens on my M&P and they fit like a glove; no fitting required. Didn't really like them so i put on some Dawsons which, OTOH, are made to require fitting/filing and needed lots of it! The dawsons i put on my 1911's (front only) didn't really need any filing though which is odd because you would think for a particular make an model like the M&P, the dovetails would be more consistent being made by one manufacturer rather than many like the 1911. :huh:

I'm one of those guys you mentioned who beat them in. I went to ACE and got a nylon bushing or spacer. It's about 1/2" around and an inch and a half long. I just sanded the sights bottom and side bevels with 800 grit paper until they will go about half way in by hand and then lay the slide on the cement floor of thew garage with a towel under it and pound that sucker home.

Certainly you knew you would need a front sight wrench right?

Oh, and you have to heat up the fiber optic and 'pull' it into the recessed portion of the front. And melt the other side in some how.

Watch this video for putting in your fiber.

It's Dawson Precision, and after watching it, I am amazed at how much fiber I have wasted doing it the wrong way...

Good luck

Man, thanks for that video! Dawson is a great guy for displaying his knowledge the way he does. My next purchase will be from him. Got a piece of nylon and a brass connection piece from Home Depot tonight. Gonna bang the rear in tomorrow.

Banged it on today. Alot tougher than I thought. Had to file the front site to get it to set in the hole. Also, filed the rear. Took it on and off six or seven times before I gave up and just muscled it on. Marked up the rear more than I wanted. Guess I'll buy a Presto pen and try and cover the marks.

Really like the plain rear and thinner front. The FO really POPS in the daylight. I pick up the front site alot faster. Can't wait to shoot it.

Thanks again for the advise.

Watch this video for putting in your fiber.

It's Dawson Precision, and after watching it, I am amazed at how much fiber I have wasted doing it the wrong way...

Good luck

Thanks for the video...now I can see for myself if I do better with green vs red

• 2 months later...

All this banging... :(

You can purchase one of the aluminum punches with a nylon tip just like Dave uses in his video... Get it from Dawson Precision for $3.95...

While you're there, get one of his sight files for $39... That's fairly expensive for a file, but it has two flat sides and one side that cuts... stops you from digging trench in the bottom of the sight groove...

If you are going to install a lot of sights... A sight pusher is a worthwhile investment...

Going to have Canyon Creek install the Dawson/Warren sight combo on my P226. After the cussing, swearing, yelling, banging, frustration etc. involved with putting on a set of Dawson sights on a XD9 Tactical, I vowed to never do a sight install again. Ended up putting the slide in a vise and beat the living shit out of the stock sights with a heavy hammer and steel punch. I swear they must use a hydraulic press to get those friggin sights in :surprise:. Really surprised that I didnt screw up the slide.