Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

what load to use on MGM double spinner?

CareyH

Smokshwn has an excellent point. We all seem to try so hard to get away with the smallest amount of movement possible that we often end up shooting at targets that we aren't squared up to. We can get away with it with most targets, but the spinner is a different beast. Taking the extra time to get in front of it pays off.

I'd DQ someone for using a cut shell.

I hope your rules specifically spell that out prior to people attending your match.

Me?

When I first saw video of a spinner at a multi-gun match, I thought that was extremely unfair for all the non-local shooters who didn't know or realize that such a target would be in use at that match. I am presuming all the local people knew to go out and buy something with the Federal flite control wad.

On a side note, what if I reloaded my own shells and used a regular 4 petal shot cup/wad, but on a few shells I used something like packaging tape to keep the petals from peeling back, basically making a poor man's version of a flite control wad?

as a USPSA match director, I like the mantra of "all steel must fall to score", so how does a spinner get scored?

what is the criteria for being neutralized?

I hope your rules specifically spell that out prior to people attending your match.

Pretty much any match around has a clause somewhere that covers stupidly unsafe acts committed by a shooter. Shooting cut shells is most definitely a Darwin Award winning activity of Youtube worthy proportions.

Pretty much any match around has a clause somewhere that covers stupidly unsafe acts committed by a shooter. Shooting cut shells is most definitely a Darwin Award winning activity of Youtube worthy proportions.

How would it be unsafe? Not that I have done it and it is unorthadox but you should not be able to make rules up as you go along. If its unsafe you should have to articulate why?

Pat

How would it be unsafe? Not that I have done it and it is unorthadox but you should not be able to make rules up as you go along. If its unsafe you should have to articulate why?

I guess it's not obvious... A cut shell acts like a slug until it impacts something solid. The terminal fall distance of a cut shell is WAY longer than buck or birdshot. So your miss flys a long ways and when the target is not in a berm, that would be unsafe. I think every rulebook I have ever seen would give ample, most multiple, opportunities to DQ someone for shooting a cut shell at a target intended for shot only.

Don't do it and we can then end this thread drift off into the weeds.

as a USPSA match director, I like the mantra of "all steel must fall to score", so how does a spinner get scored?

what is the criteria for being neutralized?

That is actually Trapr's mantra, not USPSAs.

From the MG Rules:

MG 4.3.1

Approved metal targets for use in USPSA Multigun matches include any metal target that provides an adequate method of determining hits or misses other than by falling (self-indicating hits). Scoring metal targets by listening

for hits is not permitted. Self-indicating targets when used in a Rifle COF may be engaged from multiple shooting locations as new targets. All types of metal targets may be used as scoring targets or no-shoots. They must be

scored in accordance with the relevant Appendices.

While I lobied for a slight change to these rules with my AD, I've not seen the draft version they are working on. One full rotation to score is what I use, which appears to be the standard.

Edited by MarkCO

I was the RO on the golf cart stage last year. Saw a few people do it, but not nearly as many as I thought would do it. As long as timing the load is not an issue, you should always do it, if not dis-allowed.

I shot that stage on the last day and unleashed two 3" #4buck at it just to take out some aggression from the previous days. One well placed one would have done it, but I got a lot more enjoyment out of sending an extra :devil:

I guess it's not obvious... A cut shell acts like a slug until it impacts something solid. The terminal fall distance of a cut shell is WAY longer than buck or birdshot. So your miss flys a long ways and when the target is not in a berm, that would be unsafe. I think every rulebook I have ever seen would give ample, most multiple, opportunities to DQ someone for shooting a cut shell at a target intended for shot only.

Aside from essentially shooting a slug at a target designed for shot you are also sending a solid shot column down your bore and through your choke that also has an extra circumference of hull around it. Your shotgun bore was designed to have wad material go down it at high speed not hull material. The increased friction has the potential to cause a catastrophic failure.

Really just not a good decision from any standpoint.

Aside from essentially shooting a slug at a target designed for shot you are also sending a solid shot column down your bore and through your choke that also has an extra circumference of hull around it. Your shotgun bore was designed to have wad material go down it at high speed not hull material. The increased friction has the potential to cause a catastrophic failure.

Really just not a good decision from any standpoint.

That makes sense thanks for taking the time to explain it.

pat

Had my first opportunity to shoot at the MGM double spinner on Saturday using both a handgun and shotgun. A friend bought one and we tried different things to see what worked best. One thing we did not do was to shoot at the top first with a shotgun. Does this work better and why?

We tried shooting a the top first with a handgun but found it easier hit the bottom first because we could double tap it easily.

Seemed heavier shotgun loads worked better but I did manage to spin it with two shots using 1 1/8 oz loads. Thinking next practice round with this will try some 1 1/4 loads and some #4 buckshot to see how they do.

Have to say that getting it to spin is all about timing. You cannot shoot it like you do other targets in that if you get into a hurry you can shoot it going the wrong direction and just about stop it with only one shot.