Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

We need new JP buffer/spring system reviews

ericm

Just placed my order. Guess if I dont like it, I'm sure with the short supply, someone would buy it for what I paid for it.

Any ideas how long the wait is going to be?

Edited by jdknotts1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought one and tried if on my rifle length ACE stock. The only difference I noted was that I had to turn my gas up a bit to get the bolt to lock back on an empty mag. I took if off. I think with a carbine stock it would make a difference.

Did you note any difference in recoil or reduced sound from the buffer tube?

Did you feel it was money well spent or just a bit too gimmickie (sp)?

Other than having to open up the gas port, I didn't notice anything. A standard A2 stock may be different as I know I can hear the spring twang after each shot in my service rifle, but with the ACE stock it's always been quiet.

Has anyone had any trouble with the install on these? As easy as it is to install I seemed to have done something wrong because mine sticks out too far from the receiver extension and I have to depress it with my finger and slam my receivers together to get the pins in.

Standard A2 extension, PRS stock, JP Silent Capture Spring for the ar-15...just can't figure out what I'm overlooking. Anyone have any advice?

UPDATE: Got on the phone with JP and found out my SCS had the wrong spring put on it. If anyone has any issues with your SCS or just want to make sure you got the right parts can count the coils and you should have 30 for the ar-15 version. And of course, JP is making it right.

-Clint

Edited by Clint-M

• 3 months later...

If you installed one of those super awesome new JP captured Buffer spring setups and it ran great for several hundred rounds at 100 degrees it may need more gas at 50 degrees. It appears that the captured spring may be a bit stiffer than the standard low mass buffer/spring setup.

I just got in from playing with my new JP captured system. I like it. Little quieter than a greased JP flat spring. Like Jesse said the spring rate seems higher but required no gas adjustments on my setup. Works really well with the lightend carrier with both light 55's and fast 69 gr. Gave a softer feel especially on the heavy loads vs. the heavy carrier and light rifle length buffer I have been using.

Carl

I just got in from playing with my new JP captured system. I like it. Little quieter than a greased JP flat spring. Like Jesse said the spring rate seems higher but required no gas adjustments on my setup. Works really well with the lightend carrier with both light 55's and fast 69 gr. Gave a softer feel especially on the heavy loads vs. the heavy carrier and light rifle length buffer I have been using.

Carl

Mine ran great with the same ambient conditions and ammo setup with my old gas adjustments but when we shot at sub 50 degrees in Oregon this weekend it wouldn't fully cycle the gun when my mags were topped all the way off. Thankfully it ran 100% when I talked Kalani into running my gun on the first stage. I must have had my gas way down at the edge of reliability and the ammo I was running wasn't what I would call super hot.

Just wanted to make sure nobody got left out in the cold like me. ;)

Mine ran great with the same ambient conditions and ammo setup with my old gas adjustments but when we shot at sub 50 degrees in Oregon this weekend it wouldn't fully cycle the gun when my mags were topped all the way off. Thankfully it ran 100% when I talked Kalani into running my gun on the first stage. I must have had my gas way down at the edge of reliability and the ammo I was running wasn't what I would call super hot.

Oh man that would have been embarrassing if it had started to malfunction!! Glad it worked out OK.

Tar

I got one and a new Ace stock kit at the same time. I think its great and the only thing that makes the Ace stock usable for me. from shooting lots of rim-fire rifle in the past I developed a -Feel- for what a rifle does during the trigger pull and recoil -&- reset on target. The timing in a carbine gas system does not -Feel- as good to me as rifle gas timing.

a light stock like the Ace with regular JP spring and light buffer = was slam-ish sounding and harsh. But with the new JP Buffer Spring system the = Slam Ting= was gone even in the Ace stock.

I know that the new system is an improvement. Now if that a Big improvement I don't know

What I do know is that its BETTER and better equals better , and to me at a cost of $200 its worth the price.

Oh man that would have been embarrassing if it had started to malfunction!! Glad it worked out OK.

Tar

It did malfunction 3 stages in a row. The last stage it double fed causing a jam I couldn't clear. I got excited, flustered and in a huge rush during all the trouble and I dumped the jammed up Rifle witout putting on the safety with ammo stil in the gun and got DQ'd.

Tar

It did malfunction 3 stages in a row. The last stage it double fed causing a jam I couldn't clear. I got excited, flustered and in a huge rush during all the trouble and I dumped the jammed up Rifle without putting on the safety with ammo stil in the gun and got DQ'd.

:surprise: Thanks for posting that, now when I make similar mistakes I'll know I'm not the only one that ever flubbed up. I was thinking of the guy that you talked into running your rifle thought.

Tar

I'm running an 18 inch barrel...

in a jp upper with the ACE stock as well...

other than this setup looking super cool and pretty..

i can't tell any difference vs spring a buffer i had before..

i think it's nice bling, but i can't really feel any difference.

is it worth the money? meh.. not sure what to tell you.. maybe??

no issue with mine by the way.. but i still haven't gotten around to adjusting the gas system on my rifle...

just been to lazy to go buy locktite :)

• 4 weeks later...

I've got about 2k rds on this spring now without much to report negatively. When I first got it I had an UBR stock on a 17"bbl, rifle gas tube, JP lmos, SJC comp, tuned JP buffer spring and a lightened car buffer. I put the SCS in adjusted my gas block and shot a few rounds through it. Liked it but couldn't really tell a big difference. Went to a match that weekend and on the first stage ran to slidelock and didn't realize it because of the difference in feel. Since then though I've just shot the crap out of it. The only thing I don't care for is the weight but everything has it's tradeoffs.

Has anybody experimented/tuned the new SCS by trimming the spring in either an AR-15 or AR-.308? I thought I read mention of this being an option in the beginning but now can't find any references to it. I would assume trimming in 1/8 or 1/4 coils instead of full ones.... Let me know if you have tried it.

thanks