Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Caspian hi cap frame?

Z1500

With the likely sunset of the AWB I'm getting the itch to build a hi cap 1911. I like the idea of building it on a Caspian frame but would like some opinions on that. I chose the Caspian cause I've been told that with the decal grips it's noticably thinner than the SV/STI frames. Is that correct? It's not going to be an game gun so 10's of thousands of rounds will not be fired though it. But will I have any problems with it at all as a normal home defence type weapon?

Kevin

Kevin,

A quick question is how big are your hands?

The Caspian Hi-Cap frame is an excellent product yet there does appear to be a feeling that the grip is longer front to back than the S_I frames. I have put the Hogue Grips on my Caspians and I like the way the grip is a little wider and rounded. But that is a personal preference. Also if you do build on a Caspian you migh want to look at a titanium frame costs $100 more but reduces the weight.

Alan

As stated, the Caspian is a bit long from front to rear, however I think I may have accidentally discovered a fix for this.

When EGW adds the checkering, they mill out the front strap and then weld on an insert. Well, I picked up a frame in his shot that was milled, but yet to have the insert added. The gun felt great. The front strap was rough, almost like a light stippling. It felt noticably thinner too.

If your building a defense gun, might I recommend a 9x23? You can use the factory style magazines, get 19 + 1 capacity, and Winchester factory ammunition has some very impressive ballistics.

I have medium sized hands, but I prefer my guns to have smaller grips when possible. That's why I was thinking the Caspian would be better for me than the S_I guns. Like on my single stack 1911's I like the thin grips. Is the general consensus that the S_I frames are better for smaller hands than the Caspian?

Has anyone put a pair of calipers front to back on a Caspian to see just how long it is?

9x23 is my primary choice right now but 10mm is lingering in the back of my head.

Kevin

Kevin,

If I rember correctly the front to back measurement is failry close to the 1911. It is just a perceived feel due to the grip being wider.

As far as building it in 10mm after the ban would be totally dependant on the availability of true 10mm mags. Caspian has only made mags for 9mm/38Super.

Back when I got my first Hi-Cap and shot .40 the 9mm/38Super mags would only hold 14 rds of .40. I did figure out a way to modify the mags to hold 17rds of .40. Now all of these mags are aptly named Franken Mags, (Not after Al Franken)

I shoot a Caspian with grip tape and I feel that the S_I grips modified by that guy in NY (can't remember his name) feel just as small as my Caspian. That being said the S_I grip feels more perpendicular to the slide than the Caspian to me, the Caspian feels more ergonomic.

I like the frames and HATE the mags. Something to keep in mind.

What's the deal on Caspian mags? They suck? Does anyone else make mags for the Caspian?

Is it just less headach to build a S_I? I've learned in life (a number of times) that going with what the popular majority is doing, results in the least problems down the road.

Kevin

Kevin,

The big problem with Caspian mags currently is they are as scarce as hens teeth.

The first generation of mags would crack at the top on the back.

Fred Craig had some after market mags made that required some degree of tuning to get them to work. But the last time I talked to him they were all gone.

All of my Caspian mags run as consistently as the S_I mags.

I do know that years ago people would cut down the Caspian mag spring.

I don't cut down my springs and they have worked fine.

Alan

I like the frames and HATE the mags. Something to keep in mind.

What's the deal on Caspian mags? They suck? Does anyone else make mags for the Caspian?

Is it just less headach to build a S_I? I've learned in life (a number of times) that going with what the popular majority is doing, results in the least problems down the road.

Kevin

The mags are thin, not only less capacity, but they tend to crack or stretch. All in all they are much more fragile than S_I mags (sorry Matt ;) ) Maybe it's just all the guys I've ever shot Caspians say, these are my good mags and these are my not so good mags :ph34r:

On the subject of quality mags, my opinion.

Scale of 1 to 10, 1 being cr*p and 10 being the best mag ever built:

SV mags = 8

STI mags = 6

actual pre-94 Caspian mags = 4

actual pre-94 ParaOrd mags = 5

fake "preban" ParaOrd mags = 2

This list could get very long but these I've seen first-hand...

• 2 years later...

Guys, ok, thread bump....

I need some help from the no BS CASPIAN users. How much actual interest is there in new mags and guns?

I am trying to put together a run of Caspian mags and tubes. I know this has been asked before, but how many serious mag BUYERS are there out there.

Please, grab every Caspian guy you know and have them email me. If there really is demand, I am pretty sure we can get it done.

dirtypool40@yahoo.com

• 3 months later...
I am building a hi-cap on a caspian frame in a 40 s&w.

Caspian says they are going to have mags available in apr. 07

are there any other options?

In a pinch get some uncoated 38Super mags, bend the lips out and you will have .40 mags. they will hold 14-15 rds.

I shot a Caspian Hi-Cap in .40 for quite a few years using modified 38Super mags.

Alan

ps. and if you are really adventurous I can give you instructions on how to make Caspian 38Super Mags hold 17 rds or 40 S&W