Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What do you guys use to clean CARBON out ?

Yeah , I think its really where my pistol has a textured finish kinda like been bead blasted from the factory and man its hard to remove Hoppes #9 doesnt phase it I'll try the break cleaner My pistol is stainless steel the break cleaner want have in effect on it will it ? Sorry kinda new to the whole 1911 :)

Shooter's Choice or Hoppe's with a nylon brush and a pick for the heavy stuff (SC seems to me to work just a bit better, the Hoppe's smells a whole lot better). Simple Green and the same brush for the light stuff, though, being water based, a rinse, thorough drying and immediate application of a rust preventive is required afterwards.

Brake Cleaner gets about any chemical deposit. For really nasty stuff, let it soak for few minutes. I then use a dental pick set or nylon brush. You may have to go through a few layers/re-application of the BC.

Don't smoke and don't inhale deeply when using BC :wacko:

However, remember that it also strips ALL of the oils off of the metal. Immediately put some sort of oil back on the surface. I use CLP, but I think anything would work well.

Slide Glide to taste and reassemble.

MPro7. It's great stuff. Spray it on. Let it sit there for 5 to 10 minutes and take it off with a brass brush. It managed to get the carbon off of the cylinder face of my S&W 625. That spot hadn't been cleaned in over three years.

Cleaning? What's that?

All kidding aside, the one stainless steel gun I had was a bitch to clean... so is the one blued gun I have.

When I cleaned the SS 1911, it was with chemicals galore (Butch's Bore Shine on Q-Tips ® was the main staple of my cleaning routine). Now on the Glock it's brake cleaner, Q-Tips and Breakfree CLP, and SlideGlide to relube and on the hardchromed Limited 2011 it's Q-Tips and Breakfree CLP and SlideGlide to relube (with the occasional application of Trigger Slick on the trigger parts). BTW, this cleaning routine happens every... uh... well... what month and year is this?

Have to agree with most of the guys here. I use carb cleaner or brake cleaner followed by a more generous than usual dose of lubricant. The spray of the cleaner will generally take the goo and carbon off the slide. Sometimes I have to rub it a bit with a paper towel, but nothing serious.

Liota

Hoppe's # 9, nylon brushes and dental picks. Got the pistol cleaning routine down around 15-20 minutes.

For lube, I like the stuff that Aftec sells. Good grease!!! Admittedly I haven't tried BE's lube, but am looking to do so after US3GN.

Rich

With good lube and regular cleaning you won't need anything drastic, but I like brake cleaner for really tough stuff.

I use SlideGlide and FP10 for lube. Both of them stay soft and easily removed even with substantial fouling build up. Use the lube liberally and clean every 5,000 rounds and you will never need solvents. Just wipe the fouling off.

Cheers,

Kelly McCoy

Kelly's right. Use the Slide Glide. When you eventually take it apart, the carbon will be a gooey mess. Wipe it off, reGlide, put it back together.

No solvents, no stink, no kidding!

I am using the ProTec Nitro Solvent now. It is the best solvent/bore cleaner I have ever used. ;)

IMO, all three of the ProTec products (solvent, oil & grease) are the best I have used in over 15 years of cleaning & lubing firearms. This stuff really works. ;)

Here is a link to their site.

ProTec