Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

VZGrips: Operators vs. Diamond Backs

Grunt

Hi,

I've always liked wood diamond checkered 1911 grips because they provide enough traction for my weak-hand palm to help with recoil. But I'm intrigued by the VZGrips, in particular the Operators (I & II) and the Diamond Backs. My concern with the Operators is that those deep angular cuts may be a bit too deep and this could hinder your ability to make a quick grip adjustment. In other words, you may not be able to simply loosen your weak hand and make a minor adjustment in mid-draw (it happens sometimes.) The Diamond Backs may be a bit more forgiving in this regard. Any thoughts or experience with this? Thanks!

Grunt

I run the Operator IIs on my STI Trojan for both USPSA and IDPA with no issues at all. Yes the pattern is aggressive, but not a hindrance at all. Personally, my hands sweat and I wanted something that offer a solid purchase on the gun and these have performed perfectly. Several others in our club have switched to them because of how well they grip and feel.

Operater 2's for Addict. They bite in during recoil, but do not inhibit gun manipulation at all. The only problem with them is, once I used them I had to replace the grips on all my 1911's... :surprise:

Addict

I recently bought a set of Tactical Diamonds very nice and excellent grip! I also ordered a set of diamond backs a week later - wow, they are really aggressive. I think the diamond backs are a bit too aggressive for me - for USPSA competition. I am sticking to the Tactical Diamonds for now.

Operater 2's for Addict. They bite in during recoil, but do not inhibit gun manipulation at all. The only problem with them is, once I used them I had to replace the grips on all my 1911's... :surprise:

Addict

Now they're making them for CZs and even revolvers. It's only gonna get worse!

really like the VZ grips...at least the look of them...i have never held any. Question...is the operator2 grip to aggressive for conceal carry? Which VZ grips do you guys you for a carry gun?...I have gotten used to stippled grips on my STI pistols...but they might not be comfortable touching your skin on the side of your body...Suggestions?

Like I said, I have the Operator 2s on my Trojan and haven't had a problem with carry. It's something that was a little weird at first, but now I don't even notice it. I've also had the Gator Backs and really like those, too. While perfect for carry, the Gators just weren't aggressive enough for competition.

I have the Double Diamonds.

PLENTY of Grip. Carried CCW in an IWB under a T Shirt they can rub on your skin.

Depends upon your carry method.

I got used to it but if I was ordering again I would get the ones for carry.

Here are my Double Diamonds

36585ffd.jpg

Edited by KungFuNerd

Just my two cents. If you have the correct type of checkering on the front & rear straps and hold the gun properly you don't need checkered grips. The thumb plam swell & the middle fingers joints is what applies the pressure & holds the gun in place.

I recently bought a set of Tactical Diamonds very nice and excellent grip! I also ordered a set of diamond backs a week later - wow, they are really aggressive. I think the diamond backs are a bit too aggressive for me - for USPSA competition. I am sticking to the Tactical Diamonds for now.

If you want to swap for a pair of Black Operator II VZs let me know I could use another set of Diamond Backs :D

I have the Operator II on my Spartan and love them. I too thought they would tear my hands up but they dont. Honestly the grip tape I have on the front strap tears my hands up worse than the grips do. Very good product.

Just my two cents. If you have the correct type of checkering on the front & rear straps and hold the gun properly you don't need checkered grips. The thumb plam swell & the middle fingers joints is what applies the pressure & holds the gun in place.

Your support hand palm can provide a great deal of control if it's against the side of the grip of the gun.

Addict

Huh-whut?

I've got VZ's on my CZ now (Tactical Diamonds). I don't see the Op II's on the website. Is this "coming soon" scoop?

I started using grips from 10-8 last year. It is sweaty in the Florida summers and they give me a firm grip without ripping my hands apart.

I've added the grips to my carry guns which are next to my skin with zero issues.

Believe they are made for 10-8 by VZ.

http://www.10-8performance.com/

For honesty, I also squad at USPSA matches with Hilton which is how I came across the grips.

i just got a pair of recons and I really like them. have yet to shoot them yet.

my previous pair of operator II's i had to take a file to, to dull some of the edges because they were so sharp. my hands are tougher now. i would say the operators would be a poor choice for a IWB holster as you may end up losing a few shirts or some skin after a while.

Addict

Huh-whut?

I've got VZ's on my CZ now (Tactical Diamonds). I don't see the Op II's on the website. Is this "coming soon" scoop?

I just meant VZ grips in general. I don't have any inside information. Come to think of it, I would really like a pair of Operator IIs for my new CZ. It'd be nice if I could get them for K and N frames too.

i just got a pair of recons and I really like them. have yet to shoot them yet.

my previous pair of operator II's i had to take a file to, to dull some of the edges because they were so sharp. my hands are tougher now. i would say the operators would be a poor choice for a IWB holster as you may end up losing a few shirts or some skin after a while.

Thanks that is what I needed to know...