Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Replacement Match Gun

Winder

I shoot a 40 in SS. I have a .45 SS. Would I be able to use the .45 as a replacement for the .40 if it goes down? I understand that it would need to meet PF, etc. Just wondering if it would be considered similar enough to replace it straight up.

Thanks.

Rule 5.1.7 leaves it up to the discretion of the RM. I was at a level 2 match last year and a member of my squad was shooting a 2011 in limited. The gun started doubling and the only replacement he could find was a Glock. He was told that he could not shoot the Glock as a substitute for the 2011. There is always a chance that the RM will think you will gain a competitive advantage by switching from the .40 to the .45.

Rule 5.1.7 leaves it up to the discretion of the RM. I was at a level 2 match last year and a member of my squad was shooting a 2011 in limited. The gun started doubling and the only replacement he could find was a Glock. He was told that he could not shoot the Glock as a substitute for the 2011. There is always a chance that the RM will think you will gain a competitive advantage by switching from the .40 to the .45.

Odd.

I wonder what part of the sub-rule he had a problem with...

5.1.7 Competitors must use the same handgun and type of sights for all

courses of fire in a match. However, in the event that a competitor's

original handgun and/or sights become unserviceable or unsafe during

a match, the competitor must, before using a substitute handgun and/or

sights, seek permission from the Range Master who may approve the

substitution provided he is satisfied:

5.1.7.1 The substitute handgun satisfies the requirements of the relevant Division.

5.1.7.2 In using the substitute handgun the competitor will not gain a competitive advantage.

If I remember correctly, he told the shooter it had to be the same make and model of gun, but to be honest I was trying to focus on my match. I know the RM is active in these forums, but don't know how to invite his opinion without violating the rules, or causing hard feelings.

A few books ago that was the rule, but as Flex pointed out, not any more.

He could have substituted his 2011 with a 1911 single stack or shudder....even a revolver :surprise:

If I remember correctly, he told the shooter it had to be the same make and model of gun, but to be honest I was trying to focus on my match. I know the RM is active in these forums, but don't know how to invite his opinion without violating the rules, or causing hard feelings.

Maybe send him a PM (?).

Well, if I went to one of our local clubs' annual "Glock Match" run with USPSA rules and my Glock in Production broke down, does the RM have the leeway to bar me from using a Production legal CZ or XD as a replacement gun?

Edited by Skydiver

Well, if I went to one of our local clubs' annual "Glock Match" run with USPSA rules and my Glock in Production broke down, does the RM have the leeway to bar me from using a Production legal CZ or XD as a replacement gun?

If I was the RM I'd certainly let you finish the match with a CZ or XD, if we couldn't scare up a loaner for you. Whether or not I let you finish the match for score would depend on the wording of the match description/application/prize policy.....

WE let subminor shooters finish -- and really nice statisticians (Linda Chico, I'm looking at you) will even e-mail them interim (non-official) results so they can see how they stacked up against their friends...

Huh?

It sounds like a non-USPSA match?

Huh?

It sounds like a non-USPSA match?

Yes, that's what I thought as well. I feel that 5.1.7.1 should hold sway.

Unfortunately, some doubt developed in my mind today when I stumbled on the example in 6.1.4.:

6.1.4 Tournament – Consists of two or more firearm specific matches (e.g. a handgun match and a shotgun match, or a handgun match, a rifle match and a shotgun match), or two or more handgun-type matches (e.g. a 1911 handgun match and a “Brand A” handgun match). The individual match results achieved by a competitor in each component match will be used to declare an overall tournament winner, in accordance with the USPSA Tournament Rules.

(I was actually looking for the definition of "teams" which I thought I saw in the rulebook, because I was going to propose a concept of year long teams league to my section. It must have been an earlier version of the rules.)

Under USPSA...

There can be "recognized" matches, that run under USPSA rules, generally. I believe they need prior approval from USPSA, and they owe their mission count fees.

Then, we have our Level I, II & III matches. Those can be division specific, I believe.

A gun-specific match would need to be a "recognized" match. And, then...if you gun broke, there would be dozens of others just like it that somebody would let you borrow from.