Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

dry firing (with c&s firing pin) and no snap caps?

joedodge

My local gun smith is doing the trigger job on my 625 right now. Were doing all the usual stuff remove S/A components, bob hammer remove internal lock stone and shape all internals lighter rebound spring and tune main spring and strain screw. Thing is he always installs the extended firing pin from c&s no biggie ordered it up and gave it to him with the gun but it states no dry fire with out snap caps. So i loaded up dummy rds (dead primers) no pwder that i practice my reloads with anyway. My question is what about when you holster up in the safe area I usually draw dry fire a little, and do the same at the make ready command so does this mean no more dry fire when holstering up or making ready.

You run the risk of turning the firing pin spring into a wad resembling a scouring pad. Get an Apex firing pin or a stock one that measures at least .492".

Edited by Tom E

lol i just cant get around that so every time someone wants to feel the action you have to say nah i cant no dummy ammo in the safe area or i dont have any dummy rds the pin sounds like more of a pain than its worth

I use that firing pin in all my revo's and they are dry fired a lot. I have not broke one in my guns. but I do have extra pins in my box of parts that goes with me to any range or match.

Jeremy Hardin

If it is a titanium pin, snap caps are a must.

No, the factory firing pins are Ti, and they do not break from dry-firing. The C&S extended pins are steel, and (at least in the past) are known to break from extensive dry-firing.

So if i use brass with a dead primer in them is that ok or should i go with the filling the hole with hot glue gun glue method i currently just use shot brass polished with no powder and a 230 gr bullet which should i do? Do the c&s pins break even with snap caps if you dry fire alot.

I use that firing pin in all my revo's and they are dry fired a lot. I have not broke one in my guns. but I do have extra pins in my box of parts that goes with me to any range or match.

Jeremy Hardin

Unfortunately, those extra pins won't help you if the extended pin breaks in the middle of a stage.

In my opinion, the C&S pins don't create enough benefit to overcome that risk.

I now use them in 617s (although I don't dry-fire those guns), but I'm not a fan of them for center-fire wheels.

You won't hurt the FP by dry firing a few times in the safety area or during the LAMR procedure.

And don't use snap caps or dummy rounds in the safety area at all, can be an expensive mistake.

You will need to keep cycling dummy rounds if you don't use the silicone filler.

What does cause problems is dry firing at home without snap caps or dummy rounds.

I've had C&S (several) and one APEX (they replaced it pronto and free) break. I've had to replace the springs twice.

Of course I've also had all of the pins on various S&W Revos break.

I do like the APEX FP though.

I think this all got started, in part, because people wanted to fire .45acp in their 625's without moonclips. The C&S pin is long enough to make up for S&W's ~.015" too deep chambers, and resulting excessive headspace without moonclips. Then S&W started sending out guns with firing pins that measured .485" (and the longer .492" -.495" pin wasn't available) and they could be a problem. So, "long" pins became sometimes necessary and then fashionable and a "must have". The .492" - .495" titanium S&W pins are available again as are suitable Apex Tactical firing pins. The C&S pins are ~.515". The only reason I can see that being a benefit is .45acp without moonclips in a 625. Or maybe in "new style" 617's if the rim recesses have been cut too deep when the chambers were reamed. My personal experience with the C&S pins was they broke and they wadded up the firing pin springs. For a while they were the only "long" pin to replace S&W's .485" pin with, unless you had some of the .492"+ S&W pins still in stock. It's been a while since I quit using C&S pins. Some say the newer ones have been changed to "fix" the breakage issue. Your results may vary.

Edited by Tom E

Ya i know no dummy ammo in the safe area been at this a while just new to revo. Thankyou for the help everyone looks like i will order another pin to have around where can I get a new firing pin spring though? And does everyone recomend using rds with spent primers or filling primer hole with hot glue from a glue gun as snap caps

I bought a C&S pin before reading up on them here. :wacko: So I filled the primer holes of my dummy rounds with epoxy. I've used fired cases too, but the indentation on the primer gets big in a hurry, so I wonder about FP damage after a bit of use. Not had any issues with the epoxy though.

Edit to add: I do dryfire at LMR, safe area, etc. but not do actual dryfire practice at home. So I think that limited dryfire occasionally is going to be okay, but it will add up over time. I look at it as a maintenance/wear issue. But when it breaks, I'll go back to factory or Apex.

Edited by Shadowrider

Ya i know no dummy ammo in the safe area been at this a while just new to revo. Thankyou for the help everyone looks like i will order another pin to have around where can I get a new firing pin spring though? And does everyone recomend using rds with spent primers or filling primer hole with hot glue from a glue gun as snap caps

I once was at the SA at the 87 Nats and who should walk up and start practicing his reloads, with a full mag, but Mike Plaxco! I just turned to him and said, "MIKE! What are you doing?" He got this sick look and quickly put everything away and walked away. Just a humorous story!

I have a set with Silicone in the holes and they seem to work good, it's just a bit of a pain to get them filled. Probably should have done them before reloading the bullet in, but I was just lazy and didn't want to remove the decapper.

I use spent cases, without bullets, in one clip and then use the silicone filled with bullets as dummy reloads.

I don't like using a case with a bullet in it and a spent primer. As there's no way to know that it's not a load that didn't fire and got mixed up somehow. I'm just not willing to take the chance that it could be a live round that hadn't set off the primer and then might.

Especially as I may not practice with my revolver for several months at a time.

Thanks everyone for the great advice currently I use shot cases and primers loaded with a bullet and spent primer with the head stamps painted red and the clip lightly painted red also may go the silicone route

Thanks for all the info fellas, been kicking ideas around in my head and needed to use the search function to get sorted out. Looks like an Apex might be just the ticket for my 625 since it is dead nuts with fed primers and spotty ignition with some factory rounds. Not that it will see a ton of factory stuff, but my j frame may get the Apex kit and I may order an extra pin for the big bore.