Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP AR-15 Tension Pin

ckell101

I picked up a JP tensioning pin from a buddy and put it into my JP15 today. I love the solidity that the pin gives to the rifle without having to put a rubber wedge in my rifle. That being said, my main concern would be field stripping the rifle if it messes the bed in a stage. Do any of you use the pin or do you run the stock mil-spec pins? If so, why? If not, why?

I tried the jp tensioning pin and hated it. Milspec pivot and takedown pin works just fine. If it ain't broke, why fix it. I don't use the little wedgie thingies either for the same reason. A little play between recievers hurts nothing.

I have them on most of my rifles you just have to have the correct tools with you at the match no problem. I started using these when I was changing uppers and I do not like any movement between the upper and lower. Then when i purchased the jp's they came with them. All things being equal if the upper and lower were tight I

would prefer a regular take down pin.but

What's the matter with rubber wedges? They are cheap, and effective. I have them in most of my rifles. Are they a necessity, no. But they reduce the play enough to make my frankenrifle feel more expensive than it is.

I think I would take a little play in the fit than have rifle I could not disassemble quickly.

One RRA lower does not have enough room under the takedown pin for one.

Edited by Lead-Head

All depends. At one point I had a upper/lower combo so bad that the accu-wedge did almost nothing. I employed all sorts of tricks front and rear on that rifle including building up the lugs with marinetex and tape shimming… the JP pin helped a good deal, but still not enough by itself.

I'm fairly new to the AR world, but i found myself using thin strips of electrical tape to space the upper and lower so they are tight. i assume heat will eventually degrade the functionality of this "fix", then i plan on trying nail polish on the top front edge of the upper, a little at as time until snug.

Couldn't rationalize paying for a wedge or pins needing tools on hand.

Edited by splitime