Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Considering candidates for Area Director

JThompson

Area size might be a limiting factor, but in A8 when Alan ran and then Harry ran, both of them made it a point to come out to the clubs in Western PA, shoot the matches and meet with md's, shooters, etc. to ask opinions, solicit support and engage in a general dialog.

A good way for shooters to meet them (if they came to the match that day) ask questions and get to make a general first impression.

I do like Jim's suggestion of a variety of questions which they should address and hopefully get answers such that we are not blind-sided once a person gets in office and votes or responds to those issues in a different way!

Speaking of elections, why do we not have Q&As for the guys running? Unless we know the guy and speak to them about what they think about rules etc, the only time we find out is after they are elected. It sure would be nice to know what someone holds true before we elect them. There are a couple meet and greet deals in FS, but not enough to get a handle on things. How about we do something about that as well?

I have a good idea about Kyle only from arguing err discussions here. :closedeyes:

I certainly am in favor of gathering more data before I cast a vote...

JT

Having been through this myself recently, I know that USPSA gives candidates 3 opportunities to publish in front sight. The 1st is a biography/introduction article. The 2nd article most closely resembles what you're talking about, and that is a a Q&A of 10 specific questions USPSA puts to the candidates to answer. And the 3rd is a general end-of-campaign "vote for me" speech where the candidates get to say pretty much what they want in 400 words or less. Candidates also get the opportunity for 1 half-page campaign ad in any one of the three issues of the magazine containing these articles. (That's where I screwed up; I mis-read the rules and thought you could place the ad in any or all of the series of issues. Oh well....)

Why bother with elections for Area Directors? I propose they have televised man on man shoot-offs with Production division guns (with 5lb trigger pulls) ala 3 Gun Nation shoot-offs!

LOL! Is there a handicap system to account for a GM candidate vs a D class candidate? GM starts with gun field stripped? roflol.gif

On the serious side, though, I think a shoot off would be a great lead in for a YouTube video that later contains short speeches by the candidates.

Why bother with elections for Area Directors? I propose they have televised man on man shoot-offs with Production division guns (with 5lb trigger pulls) ala 3 Gun Nation shoot-offs!

Wait, I thought I did that at the Ironman last year. Does that mean I don't have to run this year?

...a great lead in for a YouTube video that later contains short speeches by the candidates.

A YouTube-type video was one of my first thoughts on creative ways to "get to know" candidates. We have tons of video related to this sport already. I could see someone coming up with a "here's me" video that includes both in-match video and an on-camera position statement. I'm not proposing that as a requirement, but I think if I were a candidate I'd definitely consider that approach. As a voting participant I'd enjoy seeing them.

...a great lead in for a YouTube video that later contains short speeches by the candidates.

A YouTube-type video was one of my first thoughts on creative ways to "get to know" candidates. We have tons of video related to this sport already. I could see someone coming up with a "here's me" video that includes both in-match video and an on-camera position statement. I'm not proposing that as a requirement, but I think if I were a candidate I'd definitely consider that approach. As a voting participant I'd enjoy seeing them.

Interesting...

From the perspective of a retired director, what I hear here is what I have heard while I was on the BOD which is the members and clubs need more communication from USPSA. During my time on the BOD I could never relate as to why USPSA needed to lock so much of what was available behind a pass word protected site. If USPSA desired to do so they could easily post a candidates forum on their home page and have it out where one did not have to navigate a maze and then enter a password to find it.

• 2 months later...

I agree with you Charles. Why can't there be a forum on the USPSA website for the elections? Oh wait, there was, and nobody used it! I don't know why. I do know that more people come here than anywhere else.

I think the YouTube video is a great idea, but it will only get so many hits. I guess if you link it to a bunch of other sites it would work. What if the proposed USPSA election forum was nothing but that? Let the candidates send their YouTube vid links to the mods and get them approved. Then the mods put the vids in a closed forum. No arguing allowed. The voting public could go there to see all the candidates videos. Just a thought.

BTW, has anyone heard of any candidates for A4?

• 2 weeks later...

Each Area has its own web site ... Nothing stopping an open discussion there, I don't think.

That's a good point and I will be revamping the A5 website soon. A forum is no problem there should the current director want one. We discussed some ideas of what he would like to see there and I like the direction he wants to go. I think it will be very sweet when done. It will have to wait until after A5 this year until I can shake when I get some free time, ya right, and get it going.

Basically, we are going to take the A5 Championship site and rework it to be an Area 5 site and much more. I don't want to give too many details as Kyle and I need to talk more about it before anything is finalized.

JT

Edited by JThompson