Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Production: Swapping sides for the mag release

Skydiver

Which rule in Appendix D4 or NROI ruling lets me swap the sides for the mag release from left side of the gun as it comes from the factory, to the the right side of the gun?

I'm trying to find the "authorizing rules-clause or published interpretation" required by:

21. Authorized modifications (Strictly limited to these items and their stated guidelines)

Please note that, during a match, a shooter may be required to demonstrate that their gun is in compliance with Division rules by identifying a specific rules clause or published interpretation which authorizes any disputed modification. If the shooter cannot identify an authorizing rules-clause or published interpretation, the RM shall rule that the modification is PROHIBITED for Production use and shall move the shooter to Open Division.

Are they made to be reversible? Does Glock put out literature to say they are reversible? I can't imagine that all of the left handed people in the world have to learn to dump a magazine with their shooting hand finger.

The Glock Gen 4 is specifically designed to be reversible. New magazines have the cuts on both sides of the tube. The same mag release will work on either the left or right side. But I believe Glock considers it an armorer level swap so it wouldn't be in the manual.

Why is the shooter forced with the burden of proof to show that it is authorized?

Whoever is raising a stink about it should be the one forced to cite chapter and verse of the rulebook or whatever clarifications the NROI has published.

You would think that some things like allowing the MRB to be swapped around would be common sense and wouldn't 't need to be spelled out in the rulebook.

Why is the shooter forced with the burden of proof to show that it is authorized?

Whoever is raising a stink about it should be the one forced to cite chapter and verse of the rulebook or whatever clarifications the NROI has published.

You would think that some things like allowing the MRB to be swapped around would be common sense and wouldn't 't need to be spelled out in the rulebook.

App D4 current rule book

Authorized modifications

21 Please note that, during a match, a shooter may be required to demonstrate that their gun is in compliance with Division rules by identifying a specific rules clause or published interpretation which authorizes any disputed modification. If the shooter cannot identify an authorizing rules-clause or published interpretation, the RM shall rule that the modification is PROHIBITED for Production use and shall move the shooter to Open Division.

Edited by Sarge

Are any of the other divisions like that?

No.

Shooting Production used to be fun. Reading this site has me thinking about single stack...but I fear it is almost as bad and maybe next on the BOD's "we gotta change something" radar.

There's no need to carry the ruling around, it's in the rulebook. It's pretty clear to me.

21.6 Exchange of minor EXTERNAL components

Sights, firing pins, firing pin retainers, extractors and

ejectors MAY be replaced with OEM or aftermarket

parts.

Any other components which are externally visible

may ONLY be replaced with OEM parts which are offered on the specific model of gun or another

approved gun from the same manufacturer except as

specifically clarified below. Examples of external

components which may only be replaced with OEM

parts include (but are not limited to): magazine

releases, slide stops, thumb safeties and triggers.

Edited by waktasz