Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I need help with my gear

BigBaker

Hello,

I'm looking to get into the world of competitive shooting in the Houston area and I've been reading & researching about the USPSA & IDPA rules & the gear for a few days now.

I have my safety gear (glasses & plugs)

I have my gun (Glock 17 with 2 - 17 Round Mag's)

I'm looking to start off shooting Production Class in USPSA & possibly IDPA so I need more Mags, Mag Pouches, a holster, and a belt, correct?

I was going to order 2 more factory Glock 17 Round mags today but the holster, pouches, & belt I have questions on.

This is what I was leaning towards:

1) Holster: Blade-Tech DOH RH with Tek-Lok Kydex Black $55.00 (Blade-Tech #: 10024-TKLK-BLK-RH-GLOCK17)

Do you suggest this holster for USPSA? Do you know if its possible to remove the DOH adapter so it is eligible for IDPA?

2) Belt: CR Speed Super Hi-Torque Belt $60

Do you suggest this belt for competitive shooting? Is a belt like this really necessary to start off with?

3) Mag Pouches:

I'm up for suggestions on this one. I've read that the CR Speed Versa's are very popular but at $35 EA it seems pretty expensive for 4 Mags.

I would rather spend a few extra bucks and get decent gear now then have to re-buy later but I also don't want to overspend considering I haven't even been to a match yet. I figured I needed to gear up and practice for a few months before I go embarrass myself.

I posted this tread earlier in the Miscellaneous Beginners section but this seems a better fit for my question.....

Hello,

I'm looking to get into the world of competitive shooting in the Houston area and I've been reading & researching about the USPSA & IDPA rules & the gear for a few days now.

I'm looking to start off shooting Production Class in USPSA & possibly IDPA so I need more Mags, Mag Pouches, a holster, and a belt, correct?

I was going to order 2 more factory Glock 17 Round mags today but the holster, pouches, & belt I have questions on.

1) Holster: Blade-Tech DOH RH with Tek-Lok Kydex Black $55.00 (Blade-Tech #: 10024-TKLK-BLK-RH-GLOCK17)

Do you suggest this holster for USPSA? Do you know if its possible to remove the DOH adapter so it is eligible for IDPA?

Do you suggest this belt for competitive shooting? Is a belt like this really necessary to start off with?

3) Mag Pouches:

I'm up for suggestions on this one. I've read that the CR Speed Versa's are very popular but at $35 EA it seems pretty expensive for 4 Mags.

I would rather spend a few extra bucks and get decent gear now then have to re-buy later but I also don't want to overspend considering I haven't even been to a match yet. I figured I needed to gear up and practice for a few months before I go embarrass myself.

You've got the right idea on the "only spend once" philosophy.

You've selected some good gear - very commonly seen around the USPSA shooters it would appear.

Keep in mind that the Versas aren't really the correct pouches to use for IDPA if you are interested in that down the road.

Matches are the best place to learn. Go and watch one, meet some people, try out some gear and that should guide you in selecting the right equipment.

Everyone starts off in the same place you are in - you don't have to go "practice" first. Get the right guidance and get started on the right foot!

I posted this tread earlier in the Miscellaneous Beginners section but this seems a better fit for my question.....

Hello,

I was going to order 2 more factory Glock 17 Round mags today but the holster, pouches, & belt I have questions on. Get at least three more mags. Many Production shooters carry five and load one but you can probably get by with four on your belt.

1) Holster: Blade-Tech DOH RH with Tek-Lok Kydex Black $55.00 (Blade-Tech #: 10024-TKLK-BLK-RH-GLOCK17) The BT DOH is pretty much the gold standard for a Production rig. I never liked the tek'lok I prefer the belt loop version because it is a little more solid and with a dedicated rig you are not going to be taking it on and off anyways.

Do you suggest this holster for USPSA? Do you know if its possible to remove the DOH adapter so it is eligible for IDPA? Yes, get this holster. The DOH holster is simply a stingray with a bracket on it to achieve DOH. The Stingray is a great IDPA holster.

Do you suggest this belt for competitive shooting? Is a belt like this really necessary to start off with? If you can afford it get either the CR speed belt or the DAA belt. without one of these belts you have to thread your holster and pouches on and off of your regular belt. I tried to start without it and made it through one match before ordering a CR Speed. FYI I just bought a new DAA belt and it is much stiffer than the CR /speed. Either one is ten times stiffer than a leather belt and stiffness is critical in this game.

3) Mag Pouches:

I'm up for suggestions on this one. I've read that the CR Speed Versa's are very popular but at $35 EA it seems pretty expensive for 4 Mags. Check out CPWSA. He sells the Ready Tactical pouches. They are a good bit cheaper than anything else out there. I used them for two years and they are very good pouches. They have no adjustments such as cant etc but you don't need it in Production.

If you go to shootersconnection.com and sign up as a forum member you will get discounted pricing so some of the prices will not be as bad as you might think. They are a great company and nearly everybody buys their stuff from them. You will too eventually so you might as well start now.

The holster is a good one and I'm pretty sure you can remove the DOH for IDPA. In IDPA, you have to run your belt through your loops and the super stiff belts are tough to make it in there. You may want to look at the Wilderness belts or the 5.11 reinforced belts that will work with any pair of pants. On mag pouches, I would go with Blade-Tech double mag pouches also.

Welcome to the forum and Good Luck!

I figured I needed to gear up and practice for a few months before I go embarrass myself.

I missed this in my last reply.

Don't worry about embarrassing yourself just be safe. If you want to feel more like you are fitting in at your first matches you really want to know the rules. Read the rulebook ten times and you will understand about 25% of the rules.roflol.gif

1. Good choice

2. another good choice

3. probably going to want at least 4 maybe 5 holders. Personally, I like the Safariland 771 or 773. I think at Optics Planet they're about $21. I also use CR holders, they just aren't my favorite.

I believe you'll find most production shooters carry 5 on the belt, one in the gun and maybe 1 for "barney" loading.

You do realize that you can only have 10 in the mag after the buzzer...right?

So, you're a little short on magazines.

BTW, welcome and good luck.

guess I type too slowly :(

Edited by kmca

Kevin....you beat me to it, I was on SC website checking that they have everything that would be needed.

They have it all, mags, holster, mag pouches, belt, and the different holster attachment for IDPA.

I have made many purchases through SC and they are great, if you have any questions just call them.

You will want to have at least 5 magazines if you are shooting production. As for embarrassing yourself, do not worry about that get out and shoot some local matches and have fun.

Thanks for the heads up!

I bought 3x17 round Factory Glock Clips = $66

You've got the right idea on the "only spend once" philosophy.

You've selected some good gear - very commonly seen around the USPSA shooters it would appear.

Keep in mind that the Versas aren't really the correct pouches to use for IDPA if you are interested in that down the road.

Matches are the best place to learn. Go and watch one, meet some people, try out some gear and that should guide you in selecting the right equipment.

Everyone starts off in the same place you are in - you don't have to go "practice" first. Get the right guidance and get started on the right foot!

I read that they have a local match every thursday about 45 minutes from my house. I'm thinking about going to it once my gear arrives.

3) Mag Pouches:

SNIP

I figured I needed to gear up and practice for a few months before I go embarrass myself.

Yes, the DOH is good for USPSA and you can get other attachments to replace the DOH attachment for IDPA. The CR Speed is a good belt, but for IDPA and Production, you can use Wilderness belts too if they are to your liking. The Blade-Tech Revolution series mag holders are inexpensive and work great, especially for the polymer Glock mags. Go find an Intro, or new shooter class and go. Don't wait! The people are great and very willing to help. You will learn more in your first match than 3 months on your own.

Thanks for the heads up!

I bought 3x17 round Factory Glock Clips magazines = $66

Fixed that typo for you. :cheers:

WELCOME ABOARD!

Edited by MarkCO

Thanks for all the replies & the website info guys!

I have pulled the trigger on a few purchases so far.....

3 x 17 round Factory Glock Mags = $66

Blade-Tech Sting Ray DOH w/ SR Belt Loop & CR Speed Hi-Torque Belt = $137

The Mag pouches were the only thing that I was torn on so I ended up going with MarCO's suggestion which was very reasonably priced and got 2 x Blade-Tech Revolution series double mag holders for $40

If this sport is anything like golf then I'm going to suck but I'm going to look good doing it! HAHA Wish me luck!

I'll post some pics of my rig when its all here. I'm stoked!

Thanks again!

Thanks for all the replies & the website info guys!

I have pulled the trigger on a few purchases so far.....

3 x 17 round Factory Glock Mags = $66

Blade-Tech Sting Ray DOH w/ SR Belt Loop & CR Speed Hi-Torque Belt = $137

The Mag pouches were the only thing that I was torn on so I ended up going with MarCO's suggestion which was very reasonably priced and got 2 x Blade-Tech Revolution series double mag holders for $40

If this sport is anything like golf then I'm going to suck but I'm going to look good doing it! HAHA Wish me luck!

I'll post some pics of my rig when its all here. I'm stoked!

Thanks again!

Your equipment choice is very good. The MOST important thing is to know proper gun handling. Before you go to your first match know how to field strip the gun etc.

When you arrive introduce yourself as a new shooter and ask to be squaded with experienced shooters you can learn from. Don't hesitate to ask questions if you do not understand something. Have fun and be SAFE. We were all new shooters once.

Off to a good start. One thing to add is when shooting idpa you can only use one part of your belt as they only allow the belt to be in the belt loops.

Would it even be worth it to use half a speed belt for IDPA or would a thick leather belt work out better?

Edited by BigBaker

Off to a good start. One thing to add is when shooting idpa you can only use one part of your belt as they only allow the belt to be in the belt loops.

Would it even be worth it to use half a speed belt for IDPA or would a thick leather belt work out better?

The Wilderness belts: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2526141222/wilderness-tactical-5-stitch-instructor-belt-nylon

They seem to be out of stock many places, but I love them. I wear the frequent flyer belt often and the instructor belt quite a bit too. Better than leather IMHO.

Well I've started to get some of my gear in! I received my extra mags, CR Speed Belt, & my BladeTech DOH Sting Ray holster from Shooters Connection plus a few more accessories.

The CR Speed Belt is way too small. I read that you needed to add a few inches to your pants size when ordering and I did but it still barley reached around me. I called Barry at Shooters Connection and set up an exchange. I added 8" to the length which could be overkill but I figure once you add all the holsters it should fit nicely.

Since I couldn't use the speed belt, I tested out the SRB holster on a heavy duty thick leather belt. By the way, does anyone know how to adjust the belt loop shim on the holster to adjust for different belt widths? I didn't want to break the damn thing so I didn't fool with it too much. Anyway, I must say the glock fit in like a glove. I went for my first draw and almost yanked myself across the room. Haha. The holster had quite a grip on my gun. The grip was so tight I couldn't remove my gun without holding the holster down to my leg with my weak hand and yanking up with my strong hand. I then took a screwdriver and loosened up the grip of the holster and was able to find a happy medium. I still find that when I draw sometimes the holster comes up with the gun which puts a quick stop to my draw. Is there a technique that I am missing?

The mags are just 3 regular Glock 17rd mags which now gives me a total of 5 mags.

I ordered and received in a Glock Extended Mag Release (OEM Part 1981). I installed it the other night. It took all of 2 minutes to put it. I really like it! I think it will be a big help in reloading without changing my grip. Best $5 I've spend so far.

Lastly, I got a Ghost Grip Plug to keep dirt out of the handle and to help funnel mags in reload. Are these legal in production shooting? From what I read in Appendix D4 22.3 it seems legal. I attached a pic.

post-36963-0-91904900-1326300978_thumb.j

Anyway, I have a range bag, cleaning & safety gear, and now I'm just waiting on my mag holsters and my new belt so I'll be ready to rock (I think). Any more suggestions?

Well I've started to get some of my gear in! I received my extra mags, CR Speed Belt, & my BladeTech DOH Sting Ray holster from Shooters Connection plus a few more accessories.

The CR Speed Belt is way too small. I read that you needed to add a few inches to your pants size when ordering and I did but it still barley reached around me. I called Barry at Shooters Connection and set up an exchange. I added 8" to the length which could be overkill but I figure once you add all the holsters it should fit nicely.

The mags are just 3 regular Glock 17rd mags which now gives me a total of 5 mags.

Lastly, I got a Ghost Grip Plug to keep dirt out of the handle and to help funnel mags in reload. Are these legal in production shooting? From what I read in Appendix D4 22.3 it seems legal. I attached a pic.

Anyway, I have a range bag, cleaning & safety gear, and now I'm just waiting on my mag holsters and my new belt so I'll be ready to rock (I think). Any more suggestions?

Good stuff!

How much extra length did you add for the first belt? Remember, overlap takes up space on your belt and reduces the amount of real estate there is. My actual overlap on my belt is about 3". My belt size I ordered was my waist size +1" (DAA belt).

Good job on the mags, but more is always better :) Spare, just in case. Next thing I'd do is to get a Sharpy or a paint pen and number the mags. If one acts up, you know which one.

The grip plug is USPSA legal. Not IPSC legal, in case someone shooting IPSC reads this later on.

Get some slide glide and lube up the rails and barrel hood with it. Softens the kick a little!

What part of Houston? If you want to try IDPA, WHIDPA has a match every Wednesday evening. And though it may be too late, don't forget Comp-Tac for holsters and mag carriers. They are local and offer very good Kydex gear.

Sorry for the late reply i must hav e missed your question. I use a wilderness belt for idpa beacause thats what i wear but using the inner belt would work just fine. I just prefer to keep my gear seperate for the divisions i shoot so i dont end up tsking the wrong thing to a match.

What part of Houston? If you want to try IDPA, WHIDPA has a match every Wednesday evening. And though it may be too late, don't forget Comp-Tac for holsters and mag carriers. They are local and offer very good Kydex gear.

I live in the Richmond / Katy area. I shoot at American Shooting Centers but you cant do rapid fire or any drills so I need to find a place to practice. Where is yalls match?

Good stuff!

How much extra length did you add for the first belt? Remember, overlap takes up space on your belt and reduces the amount of real estate there is. My actual overlap on my belt is about 3". My belt size I ordered was my waist size +1" (DAA belt).

Good job on the mags, but more is always better :) Spare, just in case. Next thing I'd do is to get a Sharpy or a paint pen and number the mags. If one acts up, you know which one.

The grip plug is USPSA legal. Not IPSC legal, in case someone shooting IPSC reads this later on.

Get some slide glide and lube up the rails and barrel hood with it. Softens the kick a little!

I originally ordered my pants size plus 2 inches and the ends barely touched. I added 8 inches to the original order. Thats what the guy at Shooters Connection told me to do.....