Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Interesting find in the Dud Box

David.Hylton

I found this 5.56 round in the dud box at my local range. It is a military range that is also open to civilians and recreational shooters. I don't know the story on the round.

It isn't what I thought it was at first glance. I thought the bullet had been pushed back into the case.

I'd say someone got lucky that they didn't need a ruptured case extractor.

I've seen ruptured case extractors and have had them issued to me over the years but this is the first true ruptured case I've come across.

post-14139-0-41352800-1325628259_thumb.j

I've seen that come out of my gun before. The case tore on extraction, leaving the top half in the gun. Gun fed a new round in, it wouldn't go in all the way but it did wedge the partial brass & kind of lock onto it. While clearing the malfunction, it extracted both the new round & the rest of the torn round. I had several of them, boooooo. Too hot load, short gas system. This was all on a little cheapo 16" pieces parts gun I used to shoot.

I learned a lot with that little gun. :-)

MLM

I extracted several of those from your gun at a match, If I remember correctly :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I have seen this happen quite a few times over the years.

Jim

Yes Jim,

You sure did, hahaha. That is one of the reasons I now shoot a Firebird!!!!! After getting home from that match, I had a couple that extracted with the next round, looked like the one in picture.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Talking about ruptured cases, this really surprised me:

cartsep.jpg

This case was fired, it then went into brass tumbler. It then got lubed, was decaped and sized and trimmed. It then returned to the tumbler to get the lube off. I was doing my final inspection and when I picked it up, it looked like somebody used a sharpy to draw a line around the case. Then it became apparent what happened. Note that this case had only been reloaded once.

I once made a few hundred rounds of 223 that COL was too short. About 1 in 20 ruptured this way. I assumed it was high pressure in the case that caused this failure as it went away when i corrected the cartridge length. It was decent once fired brass that i was using. Aside from worn brass does anybody know what else causes this?

• 3 weeks later...

Usually it means that the shoulder is pushed back too far and when it is fired it moves forward to fill the chamber. Result of that is the case is stretched and eventually it will seperate at the point where it stretches.

One way to verify this is to bend a 90 degree angle in a paper clip - short leg length dependent on inside diameter of case neck - and run it up the inside of the case, from base to shoulder. If there are any stretched - thin - spots you will be able to feel them.