Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Holding open the door...

diehli

Maybe this has already been covered, but I gotta vent on it anyway (spent some time in a mall this weekend).

What the hell is so damned difficult about uttering the words "thank you" when I'm holding the door open for you? I'm using/wasting my time to hold the door, making your life slightly easier. Hell, some people don't even make eye contact. What am I, a super-sized doorstop?

Maybe I shouldn't expect a thank you, but I'm pretty sure that I could easily get over feeling like an ass for letting the door close right in your face. Lord knows I've gotten over running into people when they aren't smart enough to at least make some effort to get out of my way (one of the benefits of being measurably larger than a good portion of the rest of the population is not having to apologize for someone else's idiocy).

I will say this, though: I appreciate those that do show their appreciation for my small gesture (this goes out to the two elderly women leaving JC Penney yesterday).

I'll end with this:

What the f@#$ ever happened to G@d-damned m&^*$% f&($@ common courtesy?!?!?!?!?!

Yeh, sometimes it IS that way, BUT...

...stuck on crutches for one more week (it's been five already) has been a bit of an eye-opener (as well as a door-opener) regarding "access" and the world of the disabled. It's been amazing how many total strangers have opened doors for me in places where automatic doors don't exist (yet) or have offered to even carry stuff for me when it wasn't even necessary.  Maybe I've just been lucky or something, but all the same it's been a decent five weeks.

Perhaps all the karma I built up opening doors for OTHER folks finally paid off. Whatever.

But, otherwise, I've sure seen some stoopid and rude stuff out there same as you, and I can relate!!

[mild rant mode on]

How the hell can someone on crutches be expected to open heavy glass doors (or any other kind of fire-rated portals)????!!! It's an outrage!

[/mild rant mode off]

the problem with common courtesy and common sense is that it just isn't very common anymore. your bitching about mall doors, hell take a look at the way people drive, their in such a rush to kill themselves, they don't mind pushing you out of the way to obtain their goal.

Quote: from SiG Lady on 11:20 am on Dec. 30, 2002

How the hell can someone on crutches be expected to open heavy glass doors (or any other kind of fire-rated portals)????!!! It's an outrage!

[/mild rant mode off]

I'm pretty sure glass shatters when you put a 115gr. hollowpoint in the right spot...

from SiG Lady on 11:20 am on Dec. 30, 2002

[/mild rant mode off]

From Nik:  I'm pretty sure glass shatters when you put a 115gr. hollowpoint in the right spot...

Oooh!  I get to help mod the crutches to shoot in open class!  What are the best sights to use on a set of titanium crutches with carbon fiber hand grips?  Hmmm....  

-ld

Right on to ALL you guys today!

[heavy rant mode on]

The threat of Measure 28 on the ballot which'll raise the Oregon state income tax again...! What?! Like we needed that tax in the first place!!?? One of the many "cutbacks" they're threatening (if it doesn't pass) is, of course, in areas of law enforcement. Well!! I guess I'll just have to carry BOTH my SiGs in the car from now on. Carjackings being what they've occasionally been here. One under the seat; one strapped lustily to my newly-repaired hip. Hmmpphh!!

[/heavy rant mode off][for the moment]

I try to always be courteous, but you can't worry about how discourteous others are, or have gotten.  And besides, people have bad days/weeks/years, reminds me of a story I heard from Steven Covey...he was on a subway, and there was a man there with two little kids who were running around, causing a lot of commotion and annoying others.  Steven leaned over to the guy and politely asked him to take care of his kids because they were bothering people.  The guy said something to the effect that "You're right, I should discipline them.  It doesn't matter that their mother died an hour ago at the hospital."  

We should all do good deads, but don't stop just because you didn't get recognition, the rewards are still yours.  

I held the door open one time for a woman who proceeded to spew some PC crap about how she could open the door for herself and didn't need some man to do it for her.  I very carefully replied, "I'm sorry....uh Ma'am I hadn't noticed you were a woman."

The look of pure hate on her face was priceless!

Bill!!!

I was JUST thinking about that story a while back.  ( I was sure which book it was in.)

Yeah, I always try to keep that story in mind so that I give people the benefit of the doubt.  I know I've had real bad days, and later have hoped that people didn't judge me by it.  

I believe the story was in Seven Habits of Highly Effective People, which is a great book.

Smiling at folks is just great!  Around here, they almost always smile back.  It goes both ways you know, there's something very humbling about letting an 80 year old gent open a door for you.  If he gets to the door first, it's his right.  The local post office is a great place to smile and open doors for folks.  

(Of course, I can't help but wonder how many of us are grinnin' 'cuz we're breezin' right past all those "federal felony BS" signs about packin' heat in a post office.)  

More local post office ettiquite:   Don't ask anybody how there are a doin',  unless you have time to really listen to how the are a doin'.  We wouldn't need so many shrinks if we had a few more neighbors.