Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New reloader 9mm

TimG_SC

I just got my new Dillon 650 (from Brian) and got it together. This is my first time loading. I am starting with 147g plated Montana Gold's, Winchester small pistol primers, and a pound of titegroup. My starting load is 3.2 gr titegroup. I read on one of the posts here where they were using 1.125 OAL and I just ran off 30 rounds and wanted to verify the OAL. I also purchased a chronograph and will try to measure velocity tomorrow, as I can't shhot at my house. I will be shooting these in a Springfield XDM 5.25 9mm. I would like to try some N320 but can't find it locally so I will order some after I finish up the titegroup.

Thanks in advance

I'm sure others with more experience will chime in, but I also load to 1.125. You're smart in loading a small batch. Test them out and see what works before you load a bunch. Another factor to consider with OAL is what works best in your gun. try out some dummy loads (with no powder or primer) and see what feeds best between say 1.125 to 1.135. Take your time, and you'll find what works best for you.

I'm guessing that an OAL of 1.125" is loaded too long for your XDM. My XDM (and many others) have a short chamber, I can't load 147gr bullets that long.

Field strip the pistol and take the barrel. Drop a few of the rounds into the naked barrel. Does it drop fully into the barrel? While in the barrel, can you spin the round in the chamber without resistance? Does it fall out of the barrel when you tip it up? If those tests don't work out, it means the bullet is hitting the lands of the rifling and the load isn't safe regardless of the powder charge.

The issue to understand is hitting the rifling is bad due to pushing the bullet back into the case. It also creates a much higher pressure for any given powder charge than when the bullet has .010" or so of freebore before engaging the rifling.

I don't have an XDM but 1.125 works fine in my 5" XD. The Montanna Gold bullets are FMJ (full metal jacket) not plated. They are better than plated bullets stick with them. N-320 makes a very nice soft shooting and clean load. If you don't mind paying more for the powder use it. The only problem with N=320 is availability. Another good powder for 9 mm is Ramshot Silhouette. It is readily available and priced right. Hope this helps.

Congratulations.

How can I get Brian to give me one for Christmas?

I just got my new Dillon 650 (from Brian) and got it together. This is my first time loading.

Have you read a couple of manuals?

I am starting with 147g plated Montana Gold's, Winchester small pistol primers, and a pound of titegroup.

Montana Gold does not make cheap plated bullets. You have premium jacketed bullets and a very good price.

My starting load is 3.2 gr titegroup. I read on one of the posts here where they were using 1.125 OAL and I just ran off 30 rounds and wanted to verify the OAL.

To verify the COL, make up 2 inert (no powder or primer) rounds and cycle them in your gun. For most efficiency, have just the barrel at the bench while you set up your dies and establish what COL is best for YOUR pistol while you make up the two dummy rounds.

I also purchased a chronograph and will try to measure velocity tomorrow, as I can't shhot at my house. I will be shooting these in a Springfield XDM 5.25 9mm. I would like to try some N320 but can't find it locally so I will order some after I finish up the titegroup.

Go to Powder Valley for powder and primers. Make a large enough order to cover the hazmat or you will be better asking your local gun store/reloading supply store to order some for you. I don't like TiteGroup (it does not give decent accuracy in any of my guns). For a fast powder that is accurate, I like AA2 for minor and 3N37 or N350 for major. YMMV.