Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Automatic Move up in Class

Jeeper

The rules say that if someone finishes 1 or 2 in class at an area match and shoots into the next higher class then they WILL be moved up. How does this work and who regulates it? I just noticed a competitor who wasnt moved up after meeting both these requirements at an earlier area match and then proceeded to do the same thing again recently. He wasnt in my class but I am very curious how this works. I am not calling the guy a sandbagger or anything like that. I dont even know him but I want to know.

Jeeper,

I know that there is also a requirement that a certain number of GM's must be shooting in that same division to qualify the validity of the percentage. I think that the number of GM's necessary is 3 but I am not sure.

Leo

That is the thing. He is a B that shot 77% in the first area match and won his class. This and it being an area match with 10 GM's.

(Once again I am not calling him a sandbagger but rather am curious about the rule)

My understanding is that it is 3 GM's in the division and you finish 1st or 2nd in your class, with a percentage higher than the class limits. For instance, if you're a 'C' class shooter and finish at 70%, welcome to 'B' class. If you're a 'C' and finish 55% you're still in 'C' class.

Rich

I'm pretty sure that Rich has this right. One thing to note: just because the MD sends a match in for sanction and asks that it be used for classification doesn't mean it will be. There is a formula for that, too, and number of GM shooters in the match plays a big part.

Troy

It's not just the NUMBER of GM's folks, the GM's have to finish 1, 2 & 3 for the score to count for a move up. UNLESS one of the Super Duper Scuper's wins then the move up is automatic. (I know for sure Robbie counts as a Super Duper Scuper, not sure about anyone else :)

JEEPER, would you be willing to share which Area match and the year?

I hesitantly post this because once again I am not accusing this guy of being a sandbagger especially since I am not in his class. I JUST WANT TO MAKE THAT CLEAR. I have never even met the guy. Him moving up would put him in my class. It was last year at Area 2. The top limited was 4 GM's. He won B class there and this weekend at area 4. BOTH times he shot 77% which is out of his class. He won B at both places. I just think that Area 2 results should have moved him up before he ever got to area 4 this year.

Having came in 2nd A at Area 4 last weekend at 75% (1st A was .5% ahead of me <_< ), yes, the 1st B did shoot out of his class..... and beat ALL the A's, plus more than a few Ms.

It does happen obviously, when someone just has a good day, but at this match particularly in Limited, if you look at the results, the top 30 or so were very much in line with their class, Top 20 Limited all GMs and Ms (except for the one B shooter), and places 21-25 all A shooters within about 1% of each other. Kind of uncanny actually. B)

The classification section of the rulebook spells it out. I think it is just 3 GM's needed.

I won my promotion to B at Area 5 last year. There couldn't have been more than 4 or 5 GM's in limited there. I finished as second C with a 61%,,,,,I was pretty happy since I pulled a hamstring playing softball about 6 days before the match.......what a pain,,,,,literally. :rolleyes:

It took a long time for the card to show,,,,I want to say it was nearly 2 months before I got the neato letter and card.

H4444

I believe I know who you are talking about. I have know him for a couple of years-even shot Area 4 with him last year. He has really improved from Area 4 last year to Area 2 last year. I think he just does not get to shoot many classifiers so he can't move up via that method.

He won his class at Area 2 last year in his class. In talking with him, he truly believed he was going to be moved up to A class. I do not know why it did not happen but he believed it was going to happen.

All in all, he is a pretty stand-up guy. I know you are not calling him a sandbagger and I believe he is not trying to be one. He will abide by the rules as they are imposed.

Perhaps there was a mistake made somewhere.

I will wager that the 'automatic move-up' process is not the least bit automatic in Sedro (unlike most of the rest of the classification process), and thus subject to all manner of human error.

He won his class at Area 2 last year in his class.

He shot 1.4% above his class at area 2. I am really just picking on the poor guy as an example of the rule and nohing more. :D Like I said, I have never met him and if he moves up then he will be in my class.