Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Used Glock 35 for Christmas!

idcastandblast

For about $110 (armorer cost) you can replace everything but slide, frame and barrel. Check that the pins don't slide right out. Inspect the locking block for cracks. If the finish is flaking off, consider replacing it as it's OLD.

Look at the front of the slide where the guide rod sits, slides get dropped and the LOVE to land on the little loop that holds the guide rod. The finish will be cracked if it's bent, has been bent.

Right off the bat I would replace the firing pin assembly (pin, spring, cups etc), trigger w/trigger bar, trigger spring, connector, firing pin block plunger and spring. Most of this stuff you can replace with more performance oriented items.

Inspect the extractor spring loaded bearing, ensure it matches the extractor type (LCI vs non-LCI).

As mentioned in the other thread, I have seen a blown out breech face. Had it on my bench.

:cheers: Give the gun a good look over. Check the springs replace the recoil spring and give it a good cleaning. Most police officers shoot their duty gun once or twice a year. You will put more rounds down the barrel in 6 months of shooting USPSA as most people shott in ten years. Glocks are made to last, I have to mant rounds to mention thru both of mine and have only had to replace three springs total in 7 years of shooting. As for the finish, police weapons tend to be hard on finish due to the nature of their job, the gun is exposed to the elements all the time and spends alot of time in their holster. I would recomend getting the slide and barrel hard chromed, that way you have no worries. If you are still worried after that, clean it really well and have a trusty gun smith or someone that actually ownes a couple glocks take a look at it for you. My 2cents, hope this helps.

Holy crap. It is a Glock for god sakes. Look it over for defects, clean it, and then shoot it. If it was a LE trade in then the only that was probably worn was the finish. There is not reason to replace anything unless it truly needs it.

Matt

Kind of what I was thinking. Clean, inspect, lube then shoot (in that order).

You will likely be able to tell just from the holster wear on the top and front end of the slide if it's had alot of presentations and/or been shot alot. If it's got shiny spots where the black is gone, I would think about replacing springs. If you want to see a department Glock 22 that has a hell of alot of draws and rounds down the pipe, send me a PM and I'll send you a picture of mine.

Clean, inspect, lube then shoot (in that order).

My thoughts as well, but clean the hell out of it for good measure. If everything functions appropriately, replace nothing but still buy spare parts to have on hand.

Another option if you wished, is that you can send it directly to Glock and they will completely inspect and replace any of the small parts. I think if you ship it to Glock Inc. you may have to just pay for the shipping there.

You want to make sure that there are no bulges in the barrel, and be sure to check the lugs on the frame for cracks and looseness.

Good luck and enjoy you "new" gun. :cheers:

Most police officers shoot their duty gun once or twice a year.

I don't know of many LEO's who use G35's as a duty weapon... not to say they're not out there, but most of the ones I see are G17, G22 and G37 (issued to all state troopers in PA). Most LEO's use it for qualifying and the occasional work related incidents, but chances are it's in good shape.

From personal experience at my local gun shop, who gets a lot of LEO trades on Glocks, S&W's, Sig's, etc., they are all in really nice shape, some with factory night sights, but stock internals. I know most if not all municipalities forbid trigger modification, etc. [citation needed] so if you want to use it for USPSA chances are you're going to be changing all of those parts anyways.

Most LEO's take care of their guns, knowing it is a lifeline, and if it's a trade, most gunsmiths/FFL's (at least good ones) will look it over to make sure it doesn't have any major flaws..

Otherwise, enjoy it and Merry Christmas!