Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

thumb rests

open67

Really like the thumb rest that came with the Allchin C-More mount. Locks grip in really well, never seem to have a bad grip anymore, and it keeps the thumbs in line. Any down side to these or bennefit to going to the bigger *thumb rest [generic]* ones?

I have a "generic" racers cut pedal thumbrest on the Open gun in my avatar. Its pretty big but I like how it locks my weak hand in for a solid grip. Figure the bigger pedal probably will work a little better than a smaller pedal. With my sh*tty Open shooting I figure I need all the help I can get :goof: .

A thumb rest is exactly that "a place to rest you thumb". Putting pressure with your thumb on the rest tends to push the muzzle down which will cost you time finding the dot. Plus it's something more adding weight to the gun.

Carefully (1) take it off (2) throw it in the trash (3) fill the holes (4) shoot with a better grip, and be happy ever after ;-)

I ran various thumb rests for several years until I took a class with Manny Bragg. Manny showed me something, and suggested experimenting without the rest...so I took his advice. After working on the stuff from his class, spending a day with XRe, and getting used to no rest, I made Master :cheers: The nice thing is that now there's no difference between the Open gun and all the other guns I shoot.

I think the consistency argument can be taken too far. I love the thumb rest on my open guns, but it doesn't bother me one bit that my other guns don't have it. After the first couple of rounds you forget that fact.

I am considering adding a thumb rest and looking over what is avaialable:

CR Speed RHT....seems a little smaller and more rounded than some of the others, I think those might be good features

GoGun *thumb rest [generic]*....seems larger and has square corners plus it looks like it would prevent your thumb from contacting the slide, but for an open gun the CMore mount will do that, right?

Arrendo are much less expensive...plastic????

Doubla Alpha are adjustable...is that useful or just something else to tweak?

Opinions and experiences please.

"Doubla Alpha are adjustable...is that useful or just something else to tweak?"

I have the DAA rest and love it. I had to have Saul sent it with the mid mount on the pad itself as using a Quinn mount puts it a bit too high. Also helps put it back farther on the gun. All the ajustment in it is great to get it rite where you want it.

Scott

I am considering adding a thumb rest and looking over what is avaialable:

CR Speed RHT....seems a little smaller and more rounded than some of the others, I think those might be good features

GoGun *thumb rest [generic]*....seems larger and has square corners plus it looks like it would prevent your thumb from contacting the slide, but for an open gun the CMore mount will do that, right?

Arrendo are much less expensive...plastic????

Doubla Alpha are adjustable...is that useful or just something else to tweak?

Opinions and experiences please.

Plastic??? Nope, polymer and has a nice feel

CR Speed RHT is very popular too and feels solid, but made me want to drive the gun down.

Haven't tried the Gogun. The tab isn't to prevent the thumb from the slide. It's to allow a landing zone for the thumb placement.

Double Alpha... Don't know

In the end, I found I like a little piece of grip tape. Just helps me put the thumb in the same spot everytime.

I started out with one on my Steel Challenge gun and really liked how it felt. Like I was totally locked in. I also had one on my USPSA gun and one day a GM level shooter pointed out a couple of drawbacks to having it there. I took it off and tried it without and found that it was not as beneficial on the major PF gun as it was on the minor PF gun.

So I ditched the thumb rest.